West Hardin Football

AggiesAreWe

17 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

Don’t really understand this.  What is the reason, are they trying to avoid something or is there some advantage to it?  This means they cannot compete in the state tourney?

Correct. They will not be eligible for UIL playoffs next season.

Most likely waiting for a more favorable realignment.

16 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

Don’t really understand this.  What is the reason, are they trying to avoid something or is there some advantage to it?  This means they cannot compete in the state tourney?

It may be that they don't have enough in the program to feel like they could complete a district schedule.  It is kind of early, but the UIL wants them to do this at this time so the rest of the district can figure out what it wants to do.  And it beats the alternative of forfeiting district games which, in seasons other than 2020, can bring a pretty stiff penalty from the UIL

No, they will not be eligible for the UIL playoffs.

1 hour ago, Chester86 said:

Thanks for the replies, I think I remember Sabine Pass doing it a few years back.

You're right, they did.  But they waited until late in the summer to do it and that really po'd the other schools in the district as it was too late for them to schedule around it.

21 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You can schedule them for non-district.

I doubt they'll schedule anyone they don't think they can beat.  Otherwise they would've played the schedule given to them.  In my opinion..

I'm sure they'll be scheduling Burkeville, Sabine Pass, Colmesneil, High Island, etc..  Possibly twice if any of them will agree to it.  Maybe some 3A jv teams.  

Even as a person who has disliked West Hardin for a very long time, this is sad to hear about.  I also can't believe that I agree with something that oldschool said.  Not many kids are going to be excited to play a full season of games that don't really mean anything.  Hate it for the kids over there

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Playoffs? Playoffs?! I do not think they were in any danger of having to worry about playoffs anyhow. 

Absolutely right.  I think that every coach in the state should assess their school's individual situation each classification year.  Better yet.. each season.  If it's deemed by the staff based on strength of district competition or loss of players to graduation, they should let UIL know that they're just gonna play an outlaw season.  As opposed to the regularly scheduled district that UIL came up with due to enrollment and geographic location.  If they're not "in any danger of having to worry about playoffs anyhow", just make it easy on everyone else.  That way, the remaining teams in each district across the state can just play it out for seeding.

I think this is fantastic, West Hardin High School.  You guys are the trend setters.  Way to lead into the new decade!  Can't win? No worries.. just play schools you can beat. ;)

15 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Absolutely right.  I think that every coach in the state should assess their school's individual situation each classification year.  Better yet.. each season.  If it's deemed by the staff based on strength of district competition or loss of players to graduation, they should let UIL know that they're just gonna play an outlaw season.  As opposed to the regularly scheduled district that UIL came up with due to enrollment and geographic location.  If they're not "in any danger of having to worry about playoffs anyhow", just make it easy on everyone else.  That way, the remaining teams in each district across the state can just play it out for seeding.

I think this is fantastic, West Hardin High School.  You guys are the trend setters.  Way to lead into the new decade!  Can't win? No worries.. just play schools you can beat. ;)

I'm not sure they can get a schedule of ten teams they can beat.