Crosby vs Aledo

wbfan

1 hour ago, Eazy said:

Mostly agree with this, but FBM would not have beaten Huntsville this year.  No Orange Bowl MVP D. Achane to save them this time.  Waited all year for that.  Thanks Crosby

I don’t think they need the Orange Bowl MVP, they may have the Sugar Bowl MVP playing wide receiver right now. I think it’s a relatively accurate statement to say Huntsville had the best defense in the state in D2, FBM may have been second though?

Wilson just wasn’t ready to lead that Hornet offense as deep as that defense was capable of taking it. Oddly enough I don’t think HHS wouldn’t have had near the trouble with LH that Crosby did. 

4 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

I wish it would have been a normal year so all of yall could come up and pack the stadium. Great seeing the communities make the drive. 

I think selling tickets in pods and limiting attendance is ridiculous. We were pretty packed in against LH.  If people are scared they should stay home. 

Crosby’s keys to victory are the same as Aledo’s. Rely on your preparation and above all PLAY FOOTBALL! Its just another football game. Aledo coaches and players won’t be talking about Crosby’s record and history it will be just another opponent just another game. Crosby has to play the same way. If they come in thinking they’re at At&T stadium playing against an elite program for a state title they will be beat before they get off the bus. Approach it just like the last 4 games play hard and the scoreboard will take care of itself. 

I questioned LH athleticism prior to watching them.   After that game, my opinion has changed.   They had some very good athletes on the field.  #42, good speed, strength, and determination - #20, very fast, and #3 on defense stood out to me.   And lest we forget, they lost their starting FB who had a buku yards rushing for the year.  I even predicted the LH RB’s would get caught from behind.  Didn’t see that happening.  I for one, sold them short.  Jmo

I'm a little late to the party, but I would rate Huntsville as the most complete team that Crosby has knocked off. Their defense was two notches better than anyone else  and their offense was solid.

Liberty Hill was a machine. Their special teams let them down on 3 big plays and obviously the fumble at the end, but they were so well coached and never gave an inch.

FBM was easily the most athletic, but a pretty good matchup for Crosby. If the receiver doesn't get kicked out, doesn't matter because he did.

Texas High never got off the bus.

Their are 100 reasons to say Crosby shouldn't beat Aledo. Just make sure you don't say they CAN'T. They only have to do it once.

Go Coogs!

Aledo Alum here, so,  a few thoughts... as a HS coach, these are the things that make Aledo, ALEDO.

Aledo has won at least one playoff game every year since 1996... think about that. I coach at a HS that has never won a playoff game! Not one, and we play in a district with Washington's small school version of Aledo, so I get to see life from the other side. Oh and our Conferences don't change from year to year, so we get to see the same two Semi-Finalist/State Finalist teams every year... EVERY YEAR! 

So here is what Crosby has to overcome:

Aledo's seniors have played in 23 playoff games, and their now 4th State Championship game...

On average over the past 20 years, these kids have played in 5 playoff games a year... think about how many extra practices those kids have had over the past 4 years, thats 24 weeks of extra practices. Or almost 2.5 extra seasons of football to get it right. I'm not even sure how to express how much of an advantage that gives a program. If you never make the playoffs, a HS kid gets 40 games over his career, these kids after Friday will have played in 64 games. 

This means these kids were on the sidelines during the playoffs as freshman, and some of them got mop duty in blowouts, including that game 2 years ago. Every season they get more playoff reps, so they are used to being here, which is just a crazy thought. 

The next challenge for Crosby is Aledo's athletes walk on the field expecting to win, and then they do. Thats not to say Crosby does not have a special group of athletes and coaches. You don't get to this game if you don't, but it's just different. 

Challenges:

So Crosby has to travel, for Aledo it is virtually a home game, at a place they are used to winning big.

Crosby has to get over playing on the field with a big blue star on it. 

Crosby has to see Aledo as just another game, because to Aledo they are the next one up. this is a huge one.

Three big gets, and that doesn't get into matchups. 

I watched the Semi Final game and Crosby is dynamic and athletic, but I saw a lot of Barry Sanders type "make something happen" plays... that can't happen against Aledo. 

Crosby has to get out of the blocks, and not let Aledo jump on them early or it will be a boat race. 

I hope its a great game!

Crosby has already overcome a lot this year, and for that matter they've overcome a lot the past two or three years. Obviously all the things you laid out as to why Aledo has the advantage over Crosby didn't apply when you played College Station who had only been playing varsity football a few seasons when you lost to them in the title game. I'm sure y'all were point out how Aledo was going for ring number 7 and that they were going to be happy just to be there. Y'all were wrong then and hopefully you're wrong again this week.

Crosby athletes walk on the field expecting to win too. Aledo won't be the biggest, fastest or most athletic team Crosby has played this year. This will just be another game against a good team like the last four we've played. Kids have never have been wide-eyed and still won't just because the team they're lining up from has won a lot of games. 

It's weird you say the "make something happen" plays won't work against Aledo when I just watched an entire game of LJ's qb making things happen just like that to the tune of 48 points. They did it with 0 running game and some qb keepers/scrambles. Aledo blocked that punt late to swing momentum but y'all were basically outplayed by LJ for 40 mins.

Crosby has scored 60+ in 3 of 5 playoff games so we rarely have a problem getting started. I fully expect Crosby to be in the game regardless of how we start though. This isn't the Johnathan Gray teams of years' past. This version of Aledo is more than gettable and I like Crosby chances to do so. 

I hope it's great game too! It's just going to be abrasive all week to hear the Aledo fans talk about how great they are because of; Insert X reason. Yes Aledo has a great program but every degenerate THSF fan like me knows it probably has more to do with their talent acquisition capabilities versus all the other stuff you listed. The largest anomaly in THSF is the way Aledo's normal student population looks versus they way their D1 signees look. UIL says it's legal though, so we're going to line up and try to take y'all out just like everybody else we weren't supposed to. 

7 hours ago, CoachWally said:

Aledo Alum here, so,  a few thoughts... as a HS coach, these are the things that make Aledo, ALEDO.

Couple points you made that I agree with.

"So Crosby has to travel, for Aledo it is virtually a home game"- You're right about it basically being a home game. That in itself is a big advantage. Being able to sleep in your own bed and go to the school like a normal game. Not having to travel either the day before or morning of. 

"Every season they get more playoff reps"- These kids have also been in the stands watching for even longer. They have literally grown up seeing deep playoff runs and most of the time winning. They know it is earned and not given. 

"I saw a lot of Barry Sanders type "make something happen" plays... that can't happen against Aledo."- For the most part if you are going to beat Aledo you cant play backyard football. You have to run the play and not rely on things breaking down. It might work a time or two but it will get you beat.  

27 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

College Station who had only been playing varsity football a few seasons when you lost to them in the title game. 

Aledo won't be the biggest, fastest or most athletic team Crosby has played this year.

This will just be another game against a good team like the last four we've played. 

It's weird you say the "make something happen" plays won't work against Aledo when I just watched an entire game of LJ's qb making things happen just like that to the tune of 48 points. 

This version of Aledo is more than gettable and I like Crosby chances to do so. 

Yes Aledo has a great program but every degenerate THSF fan like me knows it probably has more to do with their talent acquisition capabilities versus all the other stuff you listed.  

- Aledo's starting QB, RB, and WR were all sophomores. Our defense played good enough to win the game. Our special teams and offense did not play as well that day. Plus CS was a really good team. I dont want to sell the state champs short. We had our opportunities and didnt take advantage of them. We lost by 1 point.

-  "We arent the biggest, fastest, or the strongest but we are the baddest dudes around"- Wes Harris (Aledo '16)

-  This wont be another game against a good team. This is state. There is a difference and you will see. 

- LJ certainly didnt play backyard football and just chunk of the ball. They had a plan and the offense to execute. Yalls offenses are different. 

- This team has not been as dominate. You see them as " more gettable", I see them as a team that doesnt know how to lose against equal competition. 

- "talent acquisition capabilities"- Yes kids move to Aledo to join our program and hope to get college offers. What about the D1 QB committed to Michigan State that moved away? Wish he was playing for us Friday! If you are suggesting Aledo is seeking out kids and illegally recruiting them then you should gather evidence and submit it to the UIL. 

It does seem like a “Play them 10 times and win once” kind of situation as Aledo goes for the “One for both thumbs” rings (‘81 Steelers)  Maybe College Station got the once but certainly Crosby is capable of winning the game.  They will need some breaks to go their way as they have thus far.  I am rooting for Crosby to win but my head says Aledo 49-38.  

5 minutes ago, Eazy said:

It does seem like a “Play them 10 times and win once” kind of situation as Aledo goes for the “One for both thumbs” rings (‘81 Steelers)  Maybe College Station got the once but certainly Crosby is capable of winning the game.  They will need some breaks to go their way as they have thus far.  I am rooting for Crosby to win but my head says Aledo 49-38.  

Crosby absolutely has a chance. Just look at their playoff run! This week people are picking against them. So what!?! People have been picking against them since round 2. Crosby keeps winning. They have earned this spot and shouldnt be dismissed. 

16 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Forgive my ignorance. Whats Code Red mean?

It's the code of excellence used by student athletes and coaching staff at Crosby. It's largely a catch all term related to resilience and hard work. It also interestingly sounds ominous which I'm sure is intended. The cougars have the ball Code Red better get ready for take off because we got all gas and no brakes! 

3 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

It's the code of excellence used by student athletes and coaching staff at Crosby. It's largely a catch all term related to resilience and hard work. It also interestingly sounds ominous which I'm sure is intended. The cougars have the ball Code Red better get ready for take off because we got all gas and no brakes! 

Kinda like 112% at WO-S...

56 minutes ago, Eazy said:

Lovejoy had this team dead to rights and they returned a kickoff, blocked a punt and then shut down the Lovejoy offense. Aledo has a switch that other teams (minus my cougars and possible LH.) Just don't have. When Aledo gets down not a single kid on that team thinks they are going to lose, and that's a powerful tool. 

There only loss this year is to 6A d2 finalist (edited). A great program, great coaching staff, and great team is what we have to play this week. They have more tradition and more championships than every team we played this year combined... no seriously..

Crosby has to play their best game of the year, they need to be lights out. No Dropped passes, no fumbles when your up by 8 with the ball in the 4th quarter. Mistake must be fixed and we have to play a near perfect game to beat a team as vaunted as Aledo.