Crosby vs Aledo

wbfan

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That's not what's going on at Aledo though. There are certain parents showing up in Aledo who probably couldn't "afford" to live there if their son didn't have D1 talent. No you wouldn't choose an HISD school in the hood over Katy. The question is would you buy a house in Katy High, Cinco Ranch, Tompkins, Taylor or Paetow's zone? Why wouldn't you buy the house in North Shore where he would play against better competition in practice and play in the highest classification in the playoffs? Obviously the best player's parents in Katy ISD this year chose Tompkins. Katy High has also had issues in the past with incoming transfers and player eligibility. People move to Katy's district all the time for football but you've never been able to look at Katy's football team and said it doesn't reflect the enrollment on the school. Yes, if you build it they will come. The question with Aledo is how do they get there?    

I have argued for years that with availability of rental properties (mostly apartment buildings) within bigger school districts it is just about impossible to keep parents from changing their "permanent address" to wherever they choose for whatever reason they want.  Does Aledo have this feature (rental property)?  I have no idea.  I'm just sharing the ways in which successful schools recruit without recruiting.

9 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I have argued for years that with availability of rental properties (mostly apartment buildings) within bigger school districts it is just about impossible to keep parents from changing their "permanent address" to wherever they choose for whatever reason they want.  Does Aledo have this feature (rental property)?  I have no idea.  I'm just sharing the ways in which successful schools recruit without recruiting.

A guy once told me those aren’t “rental property” or “apartments”. That’s “athletic housing”. 

I know a lot of times we get carried away with presumptions and hypotheticals here, but what sort of actual move-in numbers at Aledo are we talking about.  1 every year?  1 every other year?  22 a year?  50 a year?  Or, are these numbers exaggerated to try and prove their point that something like this needs to happen in order to have a continued sustained quality program?

On 4/19/2021 at 8:14 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Man Cal, with today's climate I was just going to leave that one alone. But since you wen there .  .  . maybe we can pass the collection plate around town and try to come up with a big enough bid for that 5 star freshman they have with the SEC offers? 

Here are his highlights

This is the hidden content, please

On 4/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

There would never be a choice between Aledo or PNG. The choice would be between Aledo and a school like Arlington Martin. If I had a kid that was a big time prospect I would choose Martin because he would play against stiffer competition ultimately making him better and definitely get more looks due to what's around him and who he's lining up across from.

Arlington Martin is not a great example, too much distance to actually pick between those schools. Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and Desoto are all closer to Martin than Aledo. Heck, even Southlake is equal distance. You'd have to use a Fort Worth or a county school for a better example.

33 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Arlington Martin is not a great example, too much distance to actually pick between those schools. Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and Desoto are all closer to Martin than Aledo. Heck, even Southlake is equal distance. You'd have to use a Fort Worth or a county school for a better example.

Why is Arlington Martin not a great example? If I was moving to the area and got a job in downtown Fort Worth then Martin would be closer to work than Aledo would be. Everman or Brewer would never be options if I was looking for an upper tier program to put my kid in. 

On 4/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, oldschool2 said:

I know the rental game is used to a certain extent at Allen to acquire kids from the neighboring suburbs, namely Plano. It's used in North Shore too but I think that actually more a feature of their demographics rather than a method of talent acquisition for them. I don't have any contacts in the Aledo area but I would imagine that's how some the kids that come from Fort Worth afford to live there, I know that's how they picked up a defensive lineman from Everman four or five years ago

21 hours ago, Reagan said:

Do we actually need an UIL?  

There has to be a governing body.  For as many things that can disliked about the way UIL does things, there are many more that are positive.  Apartments and rental properties is just a loophole that makes it possible to manipulate the "must establish a permanent residency within the school district" law.  There's no other way that I can think of or have even heard of that is fair.  Gotta take the good with the bad.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I know the rental game is used to a certain extent at Allen to acquire kids from the neighboring suburbs, namely Plano. It's used in North Shore too but I think that actually more a feature of their demographics rather than a method of talent acquisition for them. I don't have any contacts in the Aledo area but I would imagine that's how some the kids that come from Fort Worth afford to live there, I know that's how they picked up a defensive lineman from Everman four or five years ago

And it can't be stopped.  

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

There has to be a governing body.  For as many things that can disliked about the way UIL does things, there are many more that are positive.  Apartments and rental properties is just a loophole that makes it possible to manipulate the "must establish a permanent residency within the school district" law.  There's no other way that I can think of or have even heard of that is fair.  Gotta take the good with the bad.

That exact sentiment is why you never see me complaining about "recruiting" or kids transferring into a program. I'll most certainly point it out but if everything is deemed legal I think that unless you're willing to knock your own team for acquiring talent then you shouldn't point fingers at anybody else. That's just the way the game is played today, you can either roll with it or get rolled over. Heck, a huge part of the reason Crosby was able to beat Fort Bend Marshall's select team was because of a transfer we got from our farm league in Goose Creek CISD.  

43 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That exact sentiment is why you never see me complaining about "recruiting" or kids transferring into a program. I'll most certainly point it out but if everything is deemed legal I think that unless you're willing to knock your own team for acquiring talent then you shouldn't point fingers at anybody else. That's just the way the game is played today, you can either roll with it or get rolled over. Heck, a huge part of the reason Crosby was able to beat Fort Bend Marshall's select team was because of a transfer we got from our farm league in Goose Creek CISD.  

There are probably many, many schools that have enjoyed the successes partly due to a transfer student for whatever reason.  What.. all of those other transfers are ok because they aren't producing state titles?  Like you elude to, seems hypocritical.  

On 1/10/2021 at 7:18 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

As far as playoffs, it appears that Crosby had the toughest road to this point. 

Texas High, Huntsville, FBM, and Liberty Hill were a combined 46-0 before playing Crosby. They were a combined 0-4 after playing Crosby lmao. That is still ridiculous to me.