Crosby vs Aledo

wbfan

14 hours ago, texbuzz said:

This is a long post and a lot about Barbers Hill but I think it is applicable here.  What Prieto has done at Crosby has been great. And it is interesting to compare the trajectory of these two programs while acknowledging their past decisions.

How much time does Westerberg need?

I have been pretty transparent on this issue for years.  Since he was hired at BH.  If we are going to be intellectually honest here, we have to ask some direct questions.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program"?

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "Championship Winning Program"?

3. Can Westerberg build a "Championship Winning Program"?

4. How much time does Westerberg get?

This is my take on these questions.  I do want to preface this with something that shouldn't need to be said.  Barbers Hill is a well run district.  Westerberg is a great coach.  Those are true in my opinion.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program (CWP)"? - I wouldn't say its winning state every year.  That's just not realistic.  And, building good character kids through athletics is a given.  I think that comes with the territory here and that is being done.  But there is a difference between a Tier 1 program that is in the semifinals half the time (Allen, Carthage, Aledo, Katy, NS... there are more) and a Cinderella team wrecking the ball at Jerry's World.  Crosby is the Cinderella this year. 

A "CWP" is that team that is consistently putting teams in state semi-finals.

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "CWP"? - I wasn't in the board meetings or interviews and you weren't either.  So we have to use some context clues and make some assumptions. 

• The pay is on par with "CWP" level coaches.
  • The fans most certainly thought this was a "CWP" coach.
  • Westerberg was at Allen, a "CWP" for sure.
  • BH has some of the best facilities (community support) on this side of Houston.

The answer to me is "yes".  The information above would support that opinion.

3. Can Westerberg build a "CWP"? - Westerberg was on the staff at Garland when the won the 5AD2 title over Katy.  He was promoted from OC to HC at Allen under the blessings of his mentor and outgoing HC in 2004.  4 years later, Allen wins their first state title over FB Hightower.  Allen will win 3 state titles in a row from 12-14.  With a QB that is widely considered the top 2-3 Texas HS football players...ever.  But coaching matters too.  Allen won another championship in 2017, after Westerberg had left in 2016.  

If I had that information and was hiring a new HC/AD for BH, I would answer "yes"...at that time.

4. How much time does Westerberg get? - 5 seasons in and nobody has answered this question.  Its not the most fair question really.  You got a better option?  Who else you gonna hire?  Here are the results from those seasons

• 2016 - 8-3 / First round loss to PNG. (not bad for year one of a new coach)
  • 2017 - 6-3 / No playoffs.
  • 2018 - 7-4 / First round loss to Manvel.
  • 2019 - 12-2 / 3rd loss to Manvel.  Good season.
  • 2020 - 6-5 / 2nd round loss to Huntsville.

You don't get to throw out 2020 because of COVID.  Every team had to deal with it so that is the way it is.  That is five seasons of, at best, better than average football.  5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program.

I don't have an answer.  Time will tell.

If you can agree on what a "Championship Winning Program" is, agree that BH wants a CWP, and agree the Westerberg was intended to build a CWP at BH....

Coaching is about results.  The results will tell you that he has not built a CWP in Barbers Hill.  That is the thing "...in his past that would make me doubt him."

If you got to the end of this post, God bless you....I have had too much coffee.

Good thing you didn't send that by telegraph, you'd be broke.

4 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

"Ain't no sunshine when its on. Only darkness everyday. Ain't no sunshine when its on because when its on, you boys know, we dont play". #win10 

"Ain't really trip on the credit, I just payed all of my dues
I disrespected the game, now my name all in the news
Trippin' on all of my moves
Quote me on this, got a lot more to prove"

Nipsey Hussle 

time to disrespect the champs.

Great season Cougars, you had an awesome season however today was not your day. Tackling was pathetic to say the least. I didn't think about it till one of the broadcasters mentioned it, his comment was "Aledo has scored a touchdown on every possession". That comment was made in the 4th quarter I believe. That pretty much say's it all.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:10 AM, aledoalumni said:

This won't make sense but I have a couple guesses what might happen during the game. If any come true I'll elaborate after the game. 

Left 

Fbm2

3rd

Fish 50/50

Left- Left footed kicker: I thought Aledo would run a fake punt. They didn't but the sophomore made a great decision. I knew he was one of the fastest kids on the team. 

Fish 50/50- Freshman #27: figured he would make a big play or give one up. Y'all scored on him to open up the game.

The other two did not play out Friday. Maybe next time.