Crosby vs Aledo

wbfan

11 hours ago, CowbellCoog said:

I would say against liberty hill style run we were obviously poor. But matched against yall i would say run defense will be the heavy favorite against the pass. 

Everyone would have or did get tore up by LH running the ball. Only Mansfield Timerberview and Huntsville would be able to limit their rushing under 300 yards lol. 

23 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Landscape around him. In the past year BH had a hair thing in the local news, finished 3rd in district and their rivals are in the state championship game. Let's not pretend like a lot of kids don't move to new districts to play football. BH given where they are need Baytown area athletes to move in to supplement their athletes' in Barbers Hill. If you're a kid in Baytown and want scouts looking at you. Do you move to BH from Lee? Who just made the playoffs? or Go to Crosby who's in the state finals? If you go further east those kids would move to PAM, if you go further North those kids would move to Crosby. So they need Baytown area athlete move ins and recently they haven't gotten them. Branch went to Crosby not BH, Both teams futures would look unmistakably different had that been reversed. 

What you need his homegrown talent, good coaching and the allure to pull in surrounding athletes of less alluring schools. 

Malik Hornsby doesn't move to Fort Bend Marshall they don't go to two title appearances. Move ins matter and right now geographically BH is situated in a bad spot. 

I’m just glad BH is still living rent free in some of you Crosby folks heads. Congrats on getting to state , but please don’t let those heads get any bigger😃 Goodluck Friday it’s been a hell of a run no matter what the outcome. 

PS. I wonder why the Colier family moved from Crosby to BH. With y’all being a juggernaut that doesn’t make sense

1 hour ago, BHFAN said:

I’m just glad BH is still living rent free in some of you Crosby folks heads. Congrats on getting to state , but please don’t let those heads get any bigger😃 Goodluck Friday it’s been a hell of a run no matter what the outcome. 

PS. I wonder why the Colier family moved from Crosby to BH. With y’all being a juggernaut that doesn’t make sense

Maybe the same reason Carter transferred out this year.

1 hour ago, BHFAN said:

I am probably reading too much into a friendly jab at Crosby but.....

My oldest was in the same grade and played with Casey before high school.  We got to know his family a little bit.  As awesome as Casey is, I can assure you that football wasn't the reason they moved.  Mrs. Collier took a job there (she is an amazing teacher and BH is blessed to have her.)

Sometimes we get this "Football" bubble around us.  We think that every decision these families make revolves around what is best for "Football". 

Or basketball for that matter, Casey's sister Charli is a top 5 WNBA draft pick.  Some say #1.

There is almost always a bigger factor involved.  Millions of people relocate every year.  We just notice when a member of the family is also a good football player.

People change jobs.

Family members pass away.

Babies are born and they need a bigger house (done that).

Do some people move their kids for "Football" reasons?  I am sure there are a few.  In this instance, I think this family has their eyes on the bigger picture than sports.  

22 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I am probably reading too much into a friendly jab at Crosby but.....

My oldest was in the same grade and played with Casey before high school.  We got to know his family a little bit.  As awesome as Casey is, I can assure you that football wasn't the reason they moved.  Mrs. Collier took a job there (she is an amazing teacher and BH is blessed to have her.)

Sometimes we get this "Football" bubble around us.  We think that every decision these families make revolves around what is best for "Football". 

Or basketball for that matter, Casey's sister Charli is a top 5 WNBA draft pick.  Some say #1.

There is almost always a bigger factor involved.  Millions of people relocate every year.  We just notice when a member of the family is also a good football player.

People change jobs.

Family members pass away.

Babies are born and they need a bigger house (done that).

Do some people move their kids for "Football" reasons?  I am sure there are a few.  In this instance, I think this family has their eyes on the bigger picture than sports.  

Their mom went to work in BHISD.

2 hours ago, BHFAN said:

BH gave Ponda Collier, Charlie’s mom, a lot of money to take a job in the district which allowed her to transfer legally to play basketball. Crazy part is if she would’ve stayed she probably helps Crosby beat Canyon at the state tournament and win a title. It makes perfect financial sense on why they moved. Casey stayed because they were already there. Probably won’t get another one in football from Crosby unless he just can’t play here. Matter of fact, y’all might get a qb from us? 

Crosby with the big head? Have you been seeing your post for the past year and off-season? You would’ve thought y’all were going to win the district or something. 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, Reagan said:

Again, this is just opinions.  I'm sure you are an honest person.  I have no reason to doubt this.  Here's the scenario for you:  You are in charge of hiring the next head coach.  And your job depended on it.  The two candidates are Phil Danaher and Scott Surrett.  Who would you hire?

I know Westerberg is easy to talk about.  He may be the 1% exception to the rule.  But, he may need some time at Barbers Hill to get it right.  What in his past would make you doubt him?

This is a long post and a lot about Barbers Hill but I think it is applicable here.  What Prieto has done at Crosby has been great. And it is interesting to compare the trajectory of these two programs while acknowledging their past decisions.

How much time does Westerberg need?

I have been pretty transparent on this issue for years.  Since he was hired at BH.  If we are going to be intellectually honest here, we have to ask some direct questions.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program"?

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "Championship Winning Program"?

3. Can Westerberg build a "Championship Winning Program"?

4. How much time does Westerberg get?

This is my take on these questions.  I do want to preface this with something that shouldn't need to be said.  Barbers Hill is a well run district.  Westerberg is a great coach.  Those are true in my opinion.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program (CWP)"? - I wouldn't say its winning state every year.  That's just not realistic.  And, building good character kids through athletics is a given.  I think that comes with the territory here and that is being done.  But there is a difference between a Tier 1 program that is in the semifinals half the time (Allen, Carthage, Aledo, Katy, NS... there are more) and a Cinderella team wrecking the ball at Jerry's World.  Crosby is the Cinderella this year. 

A "CWP" is that team that is consistently putting teams in state semi-finals.

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "CWP"? - I wasn't in the board meetings or interviews and you weren't either.  So we have to use some context clues and make some assumptions. 

• The pay is on par with "CWP" level coaches.
  • The fans most certainly thought this was a "CWP" coach.
  • Westerberg was at Allen, a "CWP" for sure.
  • BH has some of the best facilities (community support) on this side of Houston.

The answer to me is "yes".  The information above would support that opinion.

3. Can Westerberg build a "CWP"? - Westerberg was on the staff at Garland when the won the 5AD2 title over Katy.  He was promoted from OC to HC at Allen under the blessings of his mentor and outgoing HC in 2004.  4 years later, Allen wins their first state title over FB Hightower.  Allen will win 3 state titles in a row from 12-14.  With a QB that is widely considered the top 2-3 Texas HS football players...ever.  But coaching matters too.  Allen won another championship in 2017, after Westerberg had left in 2016.  

If I had that information and was hiring a new HC/AD for BH, I would answer "yes"...at that time.

4. How much time does Westerberg get? - 5 seasons in and nobody has answered this question.  Its not the most fair question really.  You got a better option?  Who else you gonna hire?  Here are the results from those seasons

• 2016 - 8-3 / First round loss to PNG. (not bad for year one of a new coach)
  • 2017 - 6-3 / No playoffs.
  • 2018 - 7-4 / First round loss to Manvel.
  • 2019 - 12-2 / 3rd loss to Manvel.  Good season.
  • 2020 - 6-5 / 2nd round loss to Huntsville.

You don't get to throw out 2020 because of COVID.  Every team had to deal with it so that is the way it is.  That is five seasons of, at best, better than average football.  5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program.

I don't have an answer.  Time will tell.

If you can agree on what a "Championship Winning Program" is, agree that BH wants a CWP, and agree the Westerberg was intended to build a CWP at BH....

Coaching is about results.  The results will tell you that he has not built a CWP in Barbers Hill.  That is the thing "...in his past that would make me doubt him."

If you got to the end of this post, God bless you....I have had too much coffee.

11 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

BH gave Ponda Collier, Charlie’s mom, a lot of money to take a job in the district which allowed her to transfer legally to play basketball. Crazy part is if she would’ve stayed she probably helps Crosby beat Canyon at the state tournament and win a title. It makes perfect financial sense on why they moved. Casey stayed because they were already there. Probably won’t get another one in football from Crosby unless he just can’t play here. Matter of fact, y’all might get a qb from us? 

Crosby with the big head? Have you been seeing your post for the past year and off-season? You would’ve thought y’all were going to win the district or something. 

That's a deep level of insight into the decision making process of another family.  

Mrs. Collier took a job in the district.  I bet she got paid according to the teacher pay rates BH publishes on their website.  Charli just happens to play basketball. 

On 1/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, MrFleet23 said:

Especially since Reggie would  have to cut those luxurious dreadlocks that are frowned upon at BH. 

Dunn’s are even longer than his. They would have to short themselves 5k yards of offense for a haircut, lol. Think of the players TW would’ve lost if they had that rule at Allen? 

1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

This is a long post and a lot about Barbers Hill but I think it is applicable here.  What Prieto has done at Crosby has been great. And it is interesting to compare the trajectory of these two programs while acknowledging their past decisions.

How much time does Westerberg need?

I have been pretty transparent on this issue for years.  Since he was hired at BH.  If we are going to be intellectually honest here, we have to ask some direct questions.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program"?

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "Championship Winning Program"?

3. Can Westerberg build a "Championship Winning Program"?

4. How much time does Westerberg get?

This is my take on these questions.  I do want to preface this with something that shouldn't need to be said.  Barbers Hill is a well run district.  Westerberg is a great coach.  Those are true in my opinion.

1. What is a "Championship Winning Program (CWP)"? - I wouldn't say its winning state every year.  That's just not realistic.  And, building good character kids through athletics is a given.  I think that comes with the territory here and that is being done.  But there is a difference between a Tier 1 program that is in the semifinals half the time (Allen, Carthage, Aledo, Katy, NS... there are more) and a Cinderella team wrecking the ball at Jerry's World.  Crosby is the Cinderella this year. 

A "CWP" is that team that is consistently putting teams in state semi-finals.

2. Did BH hire Westerberg to build a "CWP"? - I wasn't in the board meetings or interviews and you weren't either.  So we have to use some context clues and make some assumptions. 

• The pay is on par with "CWP" level coaches.
  • The fans most certainly thought this was a "CWP" coach.
  • Westerberg was at Allen, a "CWP" for sure.
  • BH has some of the best facilities (community support) on this side of Houston.

The answer to me is "yes".  The information above would support that opinion.

3. Can Westerberg build a "CWP"? - Westerberg was on the staff at Garland when the won the 5AD2 title over Katy.  He was promoted from OC to HC at Allen under the blessings of his mentor and outgoing HC in 2004.  4 years later, Allen wins their first state title over FB Hightower.  Allen will win 3 state titles in a row from 12-14.  With a QB that is widely considered the top 2-3 Texas HS football players...ever.  But coaching matters too.  Allen won another championship in 2017, after Westerberg had left in 2016.  

If I had that information and was hiring a new HC/AD for BH, I would answer "yes"...at that time.

4. How much time does Westerberg get? - 5 seasons in and nobody has answered this question.  Its not the most fair question really.  You got a better option?  Who else you gonna hire?  Here are the results from those seasons

• 2016 - 8-3 / First round loss to PNG. (not bad for year one of a new coach)
  • 2017 - 6-3 / No playoffs.
  • 2018 - 7-4 / First round loss to Manvel.
  • 2019 - 12-2 / 3rd loss to Manvel.  Good season.
  • 2020 - 6-5 / 2nd round loss to Huntsville.

You don't get to throw out 2020 because of COVID.  Every team had to deal with it so that is the way it is.  That is five seasons of, at best, better than average football.  5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program.

I don't have an answer.  Time will tell.

If you can agree on what a "Championship Winning Program" is, agree that BH wants a CWP, and agree the Westerberg was intended to build a CWP at BH....

Coaching is about results.  The results will tell you that he has not built a CWP in Barbers Hill.  That is the thing "...in his past that would make me doubt him."

If you got to the end of this post, God bless you....I have had too much coffee.

It took Art Briles 6 years to start his 4 State Title run.  During that time he went 16-0 3 times.  The point is, Westerberg has done it before.  With Barbers Hill he may need time.   You said: "5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program."  Maybe yes and maybe no!  If I were the Eagles faithful, I would be proud to have an elite coach like Westerberg!  With this guy, you KNOW it's possible to win a State Title.  When you hire someone who has never been a head coach and has never won, and possibly never been involved in, a State game, well, you really don't know what you got.  

5 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

That's a deep level of insight into the decision making process of another family.  

Mrs. Collier took a job in the district.  I bet she got paid according to the teacher pay rates BH publishes on their website.  Charli just happens to play basketball. 

My mom is friends with Charlie’s mom, they went to high school together in Crosby. I’m sure there were plenty other candidates, none of them had the #1 recruit in the country though. 

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

It took Art Briles 6 years to start his 4 State Title run.  During that time he went 16-0 3 times.  The point is, Westerberg has done it before.  With Barbers Hill he may need time.   You said: "5 seasons is plenty of time to build a program."  Maybe yes and maybe no!  If I were the Eagles faithful, I would be proud to have an elite coach like Westerberg!  With this guy, you KNOW it's possible to win a State Title.  When you hire someone who has never been a head coach and has never won, and possibly never been involved in, a State game, well, you really don't know what you got.  

Would you consider Westerberg's predecessor at BH elite?

10 hours ago, BHFAN said:

I didn't bring up Westerberg they did.