Crosby vs Aledo

wbfan

21 hours ago, CoachWally said:

Austin, man those early to mid 80's Dangerfield teams were the real deal. 

Here is a stat on the Daingerfield 83 Tigers. 
560 offensive plays were run in 16 games against the Daingerfield defense for a grand total of 560 feet. 
That right folks, every time the ball was snapped, the defense gave up 12 inches. The greatest D of all time at any level. No one played both ways. 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

There’s an argument for Reginald Samples or Phil Danaher to currently be the best coaches in THSF. Probably 650 career wins but 0 state titles between them. You don’t think those guys are elite but somebody like Tom Westerberg, who’s only finished above 3rd place once in his time at BH I believe, is for his work at Allen which consisted of multiple state titles?

Go tell another high school coach that Kirk Martin and Glen West aren’t elite for what they did at Manvel and Brenham. How do you know Crosby’s coach isn’t elite too? He’s going to be coaching for a title in his 28th career game, Tim Buchanan didn’t coach for a title until his 73rd career game at Aledo. 

We'll not agree on the elite status of a coach.  Because that is my measuring stick.  Concerning coaches,  I have a higher standard I go by.  To gain elite status, a coach has to have won 2 State Titles.  The club is not large.  Because like I've said before -- one has to earn it.  At one time, making the playoffs was an honor.  Now it's a joke.  It doesn't start to mean anything unit the 3rd or 4th round.  You know, you have to get rid of the 3-7 teams.  Anyway, winning a lot of games can make you a great coach.  But I'm going to be facetious here for a second:  What if a coach wins a million games but never wins 1 playoff game.  Would he be considered elite?  Or -- maybe he was just in a weak district?  But, If an elite coach is involved in a game, there is, my opinion, a 99% chance they'll win.  But, again, nothing is guaranteed! 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

We'll not agree on the elite status of a coach.  Because that is my measuring stick.  Concerning coaches,  I have a higher standard I go by.  To gain elite status, a coach has to have won 2 State Titles.  The club is not large.  Because like I've said before -- one has to earn it.  At one time, making the playoffs was an honor.  Now it's a joke.  It doesn't start to mean anything unit the 3rd or 4th round.  You know, you have to get rid of the 3-7 teams.  Anyway, winning a lot of games can make you a great coach.  But I'm going to be facetious here for a second:  What if a coach wins a million games but never wins 1 playoff game.  Would he be considered elite?  Or -- maybe he was just in a weak district?  But, If an elite coach is involved in a game, there is, my opinion, a 99% chance they'll win.  But, again, nothing is guaranteed! 

Definitely disagree. There’s not a coach in the state of Texas you can walk up to and say Phil Danaher isn’t elite and be taken seriously. The reverse of your question is what if a guy wins two state titles at 11-5 but his overall record looks like Jeff Matthews’. You’re saying that’s elite? 

Terry Gambill has won a title while at Allen and will probably win another one. He didn’t win any at Midway and only got out of the region once but now since he’s at Allen and will win a couple he’s elite? Meanwhile Westerberg, who won multiple titles while at Allen, is at BH and probably won’t win another one before he retires. Did he get un-elite because he’s struggling to finish above 3rd in his own district now? 

Reginald Samples took Dallas Lincoln to the 4A title game in his first head coaching job, took Dallas Skyline to the 6A semis multiple times and lost to Allen in his second one, then went to Duncanville and took them to back to back title games. Basically if you have Samples on your sideline you’re going to play for a title at some point. That’s about as elite as it gets. 

It’s harder for me to view some coaches as elite when you literally have dang near every built in advantage possible. I wish Crosby got to play trash teams in the playoffs like you pointed out instead of teams that were a combined 53-3 like we just did, the last four of which were a combined 46-0. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Definitely disagree. There’s not a coach in the state of Texas you can walk up to and say Phil Danaher isn’t elite and be taken seriously. The reverse of your question is what if a guy wins two state titles at 11-5 but his overall record looks like Jeff Matthews’. You’re saying that’s elite? 

Terry Gambill has won a title while at Allen and will probably win another one. He didn’t win any at Midway and only got out of the region once but now since he’s at Allen and will win a couple he’s elite? Meanwhile Westerberg, who won multiple titles while at Allen, is at BH and probably won’t win another one before he retires. Did he get un-elite because he’s struggling to finish above 3rd in his own district now? 

Reginald Samples took Dallas Lincoln to the 4A title game in his first head coaching job, took Dallas Skyline to the 6A semis multiple times and lost to Allen in his second one, then went to Duncanville and took them to back to back title games. Basically if you have Samples on your sideline you’re going to play for a title at some point. That’s about as elite as it gets. 

It’s harder for me to view some coaches as elite when you literally have dang near every built in advantage possible. I wish Crosby got to play trash teams in the playoffs like you pointed out instead of teams that were a combined 53-3 like we just did, the last four of which were a combined 46-0. 

Again, this is just opinions.  I'm sure you are an honest person.  I have no reason to doubt this.  Here's the scenario for you:  You are in charge of hiring the next head coach.  And your job depended on it.  The two candidates are Phil Danaher and Scott Surrett.  Who would you hire?

I know Westerberg is easy to talk about.  He may be the 1% exception to the rule.  But, he may need some time at Barbers Hill to get it right.  What in his past would make you doubt him?

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

I know Westerberg is easy to talk about.  He may be the 1% exception to the rule.  But, he may need some time at Barbers Hill to get it right.  What in his past would make you doubt him?

Landscape around him. In the past year BH had a hair thing in the local news, finished 3rd in district and their rivals are in the state championship game. Let's not pretend like a lot of kids don't move to new districts to play football. BH given where they are need Baytown area athletes to move in to supplement their athletes' in Barbers Hill. If you're a kid in Baytown and want scouts looking at you. Do you move to BH from Lee? Who just made the playoffs? or Go to Crosby who's in the state finals? If you go further east those kids would move to PAM, if you go further North those kids would move to Crosby. So they need Baytown area athlete move ins and recently they haven't gotten them. Branch went to Crosby not BH, Both teams futures would look unmistakably different had that been reversed. 

What you need his homegrown talent, good coaching and the allure to pull in surrounding athletes of less alluring schools. 

Malik Hornsby doesn't move to Fort Bend Marshall they don't go to two title appearances. Move ins matter and right now geographically BH is situated in a bad spot. 

1 hour ago, Cougtalk said:

Landscape around him. In the past year BH had a hair thing in the local news, finished 3rd in district and their rivals are in the state championship game. Let's not pretend like a lot of kids don't move to new districts to play football. BH given where they are need Baytown area athletes to move in to supplement their athletes' in Barbers Hill. If you're a kid in Baytown and want scouts looking at you. Do you move to BH from Lee? Who just made the playoffs? or Go to Crosby who's in the state finals? If you go further east those kids would move to PAM, if you go further North those kids would move to Crosby. So they need Baytown area athlete move ins and recently they haven't gotten them. Branch went to Crosby not BH, Both teams futures would look unmistakably different had that been reversed. 

What you need his homegrown talent, good coaching and the allure to pull in surrounding athletes of less alluring schools. 

Malik Hornsby doesn't move to Fort Bend Marshall they don't go to two title appearances. Move ins matter and right now geographically BH is situated in a bad spot. 

Especially since Reggie would  have to cut those luxurious dreadlocks that are frowned upon at BH. 

5 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Again, what we are talking about here are opinions.  I am going to give you a couple of situations and you tell me if/how they fit into what you have said.

These will be two ends of the time spectrum.  I can give more if needed: 

Situation 1:  Let's start with Brownwood in 1960.  Prior to 1960, Brownwood had no State Titles.  Gordon Wood arrives and in his 1st year they win the Title.  This would be his 1st of 7 total.  Now, when he left after the 1985 season, Brownwood has not won a State Title.  So, insert everything you've said into this situation.  What you have suggested as a reason for winning only took place when Gordon Wood was there between the years 1960 and 1985?  And none of this happened before and after?  

Situation 2:  Let's look at a more resent situation.  Carthage coached by Scott Surratt.  Before Scott arrived, Carthage did not win a State Title.  The second year he was there, he won one.  This is his 1st of 8 Titles.  Now, again, insert what you talked about into this situation.  What you have suggested as a reason for winning only took place when Scott Surratt was there between the years 2007 and 2020?  And none of this happened before he arrived?

It appears clear to me that the coach made the difference here.  Just my opinion.  What say you?

4 hours ago, MrFleet23 said:

Especially since Reggie would  have to cut those luxurious dreadlocks that are frowned upon at BH. 

18 hours ago, Reagan said:

Again, this is just opinions.  I'm sure you are an honest person.  I have no reason to doubt this.  Here's the scenario for you:  You are in charge of hiring the next head coach.  And your job depended on it.  The two candidates are Phil Danaher and Scott Surrett.  Who would you hire?

He needs apartments in Mt Belvieu to recruit better and the BH Education Foundation just blocked those efforts by purchasing the future construction site of some apartments.

2 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Talking about what defines an elite coach seems like an off-season topic, no?? 

Just because you got one doesn't give you cause to make fun of us that don't!!   HA!  Just kidding!!

Enjoy your elite coach.  Man, you have actually had 2 of them.  Many schools go forever without ever having 1.  Again, congratulations and enjoy!

6 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

We just need the result to be +1. Our field goal kicker has hit from 43 and he had at least 5-7 more yards to spare. Obviously dont want it to come down to a kick but if it does thats his range. 

Crosby FG kicker is solid you just worry about the snap and hold. Had some blocked, but he’s got leg enough to go from 50.

2 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

We just need the result to be +1. Our field goal kicker has hit from 43 and he had at least 5-7 more yards to spare. Obviously dont want it to come down to a kick but if it does thats his range. 

Crosby kicker #1 in TX.  #7 in the nation. Advantage  Crosby-