Crosby 62 Liberty Hill 61/FINAL-OT/CROSBY COUGARS HEADED TO JERRYWORLD!!!!

WOSgrad

10 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Yessir it’s dang sure beyond me how he hasn’t been offered; I was really impressed with #21 for LH as well; come to find out he’s a freshman! Unbelievable!

That’s the guy they put in after the starting RB broke his leg early on.  I’m sure that program will just reload. 

What a game.  During the 4A playoffs, I inadvertently recorded the 2017 Manvel/Highland Park game, which HP won 53-49, under unbelievable circumstances.  After watching, I was thinking, the most exciting football game ever.  Now, after watching Crosby/LH, I’m not so sure.  There’s no doubt fans on both sides were drained.  This game was very similar.  How exciting.  It was exactly a story book script that Hollywood would envision, regardless of whether the extra points were good or not.

Great to see a local team going for the SC.  C’mon Crosby, one more miracle.

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If you’re going to live by the Slot-T, then you also have to accept when you die by it at the goal line. That’s a tough style of offense to execute cleanly all night. They failed to do so at the most inopportune time of the year and took the ride back to LH with tears in their eyes because of it. 

Someone earlier this week said LH was “Vidor on steroids”. There may never have been a more true analogy spoken on this forum. If we never lined up with LH again it would be too soon. 

Interesting thought.  So, you are saying that basically a full house backfield is not good on the goal line?  And that maybe a Spread offense on the goal line is better?  Again interesting!  Please explain!

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Interesting thought.  So, you are saying that basically a full house backfield is not good on the goal line?  And that maybe a Spread offense on the goal line is better?  Again interesting!  Please explain!

Boy, the contortion some people will go through to try to make something out of nothing. No, I didn’t say or allude to either of those things. First of all LH wasn’t at the goal line, they were at the 3 trying for a two point conversion. The ball was fumbled and recovered just shy of the goal line which didn’t matter because the fumble couldn’t be advanced.

Secondly, if you would’ve read the very next sentence after the one you bolded then you would see I was strictly talking about the difficulty in executing that style offense cleanly all night. Hence the “die” comment. Not the situation and question you were trying to contort it into. 

7 minutes ago, COUCH TATER said:

Thanks Hagar for this info. Watched the whole game on KXAN. With sound! The guys calling the game actually did a pretty good job. Helluva game. Go Coogs!

They did.  I finally found the unmute, lol.   Actual thanks goes to @NDNation .   She (I think gender is correct) posted it on pre-game thread.   And wow, what a game.

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Again, if you’re going to live off some of the spectacular plays he makes that causes our offense to be so dynamic then there’s a possibility you’re going to die by them too. Kids get tight and they make mistakes, the stage exacerbated that. 

I have 0 problems with the mental errors that can be corrected by Coach P at practice this week. I had more of a concern with some of the wide open receivers he chose not to hit which are leading to the “trying to do too much” comments. It’s very easy to armchair quarterback though, especially when you’ve had 15 weeks of practice. 

He’s done an amazing job.  

On 1/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

Wow! Hate that for LH, to lose on a botched handoff, but Crosby earned it. A good game. Someone had to lose. Congratulations Crosby. Now go slay the Aledo dragon. 

Thinking back on it tho, was that like the 3rd botched handoff all night? That offense never seemed to mess up a handoff except there and when #4 came out of the game. #4 while not making all the plays or getting all the yards was the reason that offense ran so well. 

5 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

Thinking back on it tho, was that like the 3rd botched handoff all night? That offense never seemed to mess up a handoff except there and when #4 came out of the game. #4 while not making all the plays or getting all the yards was the reason that offense ran so well. 

I don't know the precise numbers, but it definitely seemed like they executed that offense nearly perfectly. It came down to three crucial moments on defense for Crosby: (1) holding LH to a field goal on one drive near the end of the first half, (2) getting that fumble in the second half when LH was driving, and (3) LH fumbling the last snap. If LH had scored a touchdown instead of having the field goal, they win. And, the way they were moving the ball you almost have to think they would have been guaranteed a touchdown if they hadn't fumbled in the second half. And number (3) goes without saying. So there were three moments where if LH had just done one of them differently they would have won the game. Crosby went 3-0 on those three plays. It makes the win all that much more impressive to me. 

15 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I don't know the precise numbers, but it definitely seemed like they executed that offense nearly perfectly. It came down to three crucial moments on defense for Crosby: (1) holding LH to a field goal on one drive near the end of the first half, (2) getting that fumble in the second half when LH was driving, and (3) LH fumbling the last snap. If LH had scored a touchdown instead of having the field goal, they win. And, the way they were moving the ball you almost have to think they would have been guaranteed a touchdown if they hadn't fumbled in the second half. And number (3) goes without saying. So there were three moments where if LH had just done one of them differently they would have won the game. Crosby went 3-0 on those three plays. It makes the win all that much more impressive to me. 

TBF Crosby should have jumped on an obvious onside kick. LH didn't see it coming to start the 2nd half but that onside kick was unacceptable. 

2 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

TBF Crosby should have jumped on an obvious onside kick. LH didn't see it coming to start the 2nd half but that onside kick was unacceptable. 

Did the whistle blow right before the kick?  Also it was touched before the 50, but my son was at the game and sad there was a whistle and the Crosby players kind of stopped.

18 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

On your #2 LH had the bring in the back up to take that snap and it was a bad exchange.  The QB got nicked up on the precious play.

59 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

. Did the whistle blow right before the kick?  Also it was touched before the 50, but my son was at the game and sad there was a whistle and the Crosby players kind of stopped.

there seemed to have been some kind of whistle blown... now was it a ref? I dunno, they claimed they didn't blow their whistles but sure looked like the cougars thought a whistle had been blown. They didn't touch it within 10 yards tho. 

20 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

there seemed to have been some kind of whistle blown... now was it a ref? I dunno, they claimed they didn't blow their whistles but sure looked like the cougars thought a whistle had been blown. They didn't touch it within 10 yards tho. 

It’s close, but I watched it 50 times. 24 touched it before 10

1 hour ago, CougarCal said:

Yeah the Statesman wrote in their article that it appeared the ball was recovered in the end zone! 

Not even close. Ball was at the 1 1/2 yardline and you can tell by number 16’s reaction that Crosby recovered it, plus I’m pretty sure that only the player that fumbles can advance the ball in OT in high school. I don’t think he walks right in either? I think #42’s footwork/timing got off because he saw #90 break through from Crosby and it led to a bad handoff. 

11 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I’m pretty sure that only the player that fumbles can advance the ball in OT in high school. 

Before a change of team possession, a Team A player fumbles and the ball is caught or recovered by any Team A player other than the fumbler. There is no Team A score. (NCAA Rule 8-3-2-d-5)

By rule only 42 could have recovered that ball and it resulted in a score. When he fumbled it, no one but him can score on the fumble try during an extra point.