Silsbee 78 Lumberton 64/FINAL

Just now, TxHoops said:

Knowing who it was now, you can take that story to the bank.  Paul is a good dude, and he is a passionate guy.  Sounds like he found a ref with rabbit ears and that was the end of it.  Glad to hear it from him and doesn’t sound like it had anything to do with any of the Tiger players.  

no he didn't have rabbit ears i just have loud voice that carries too far.....LOL

13 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I may be wrong but I think Michael Saladin led the nation in 3 point percentage last year. I hate to have a differing opinion with the basketball gods but Ryan Donahoe, Jarvis Bernard and Zjori Bosha we’re all 3 better basketball players than the young man from Lumberton. I know I’m gonna make ya drop your coffee but RJ Sears is a better overall ball player. I don’t mean any disrespect to Mr McClure but you’re trying to make him something he isn’t. He’s a very good high school basketball player and there’s nothing wrong with that . 

Not in the argument. Sorry. 

Ryan Donahoe? Absolutely 13 years ago

Jarvis Bernard? Absolutely 11 years ago 

Bosha? Absolutely not 

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Yes, you do 😂

I am disappoint that i let emotions get away and not at game to the end to support Raiders, my son, and  great team. but we all make mistakes and i just yelled too loud at a ref that was hearing it all night long. 

i cant say i will be silent next game, maybe try and be quieter, so ref's cant hear me. 

but i ain't first fan tossed, and not even close to only fan heckling. Life goes on.

and GOD willing we wake up tomorrow

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

HJ troll.  McClure is better than any Hawk in quite some time.  

IMO, the point guard for HJ (Baxter Wirth) is an overall better player than McClure. He might not average as much points as McClure but he's smarter and a better team player. He also doesn't get half of his points from the free throw line. Wirth doesn't get the credit he deserves and HJ wouldn't be near the team they are without him. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

You are awfully sensitive with the “basketball gods” and “I know you’re never wrong” comments.  You just keep making comments like this one that reveal you are more than a little off with your evaluations.  But to use one kid who you are mistaken about, again, I am willing to bet McClure averages more than 6 pts and 3 rebs at Lamar.   Same school, same coach as Bosha played at/for.  

And I am wrong on occasion.  I sat in a gym in Duncanville several years ago and argued with one of my best friends that Texas should hire Shaka and he argued they should hire Buzz Williams.  This year aside (where Shaka is trying to prove me right), I have still admitted to him many times that he was right and I was wrong.  And he knows a little about the sport too...his sons played for Calipari at Kentucky  

You started the never wrong statement, not me. I won’t take the time to find the post. I hope McClure fills it up at the Montagne center but comparing the two kids as high school seniors entering Lamar University I stand by my pick. I like Shaka coaching the Horns but I also liked Barnes. 

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

You started the never wrong statement, not me. I won’t take the time to find the post. I hope McClure fills it up at the Montagne center but comparing the two kids as high school seniors entering Lamar University I stand by my pick. I like Shaka coaching the Horns but I also liked Barnes. 

Not denying it, was jerking chains.  I think I see the disconnect though.  We are not talking about the best HIGH SCHOOL players here.  You said you don’t see McClure as a D1 player.  HUGE difference.  Donohoe, who you brought up, is a prime example.  Easily could argue he’s a better HS player and you would be right imo.  By the same token, Ryan was a mediocre D2 player in college.  

Also as we pointed out, I would argue that Braelon Bush (who has already proven he’s a legit D1 btw) was a better HS player than Greg Brown.  Same HS class, Braelon was better in HS.  Greg, however, is having a great freshman season at Texas and will likely be a mid first round pick in next year’s draft.  

7 hours ago, The Lake said:

IMO, the point guard for HJ (Baxter Wirth) is an overall better player than McClure. He might not average as much points as McClure but he's smarter and a better team player. He also doesn't get half of his points from the free throw line. Wirth doesn't get the credit he deserves and HJ wouldn't be near the team they are without him. 

Lmao! What college did he sign with? 

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

That all starts with Silsbee’s youth (LD) program.   Silsbee is one of the few places that actually teaches kids how to correctly play defense.  They don’t feed them the myth that basketball is a non-contact sport.   And while I have to admit I haven’t seen a single Silsbee little dribbler game that wasn’t against another town, I’m assuming they try to have games officiated properly.   

Conversely, you have other towns where they grow up used to getting every touch foul, momma’s get upset when someone bodies little Johnny, etc.  So when you play Silsbee, they are playing dirty because they play hard, physical defense.  Would grate on my last nerve sitting in the stands listening to that.  

This was along time go, but Silsbee practice used to consist of about 60% defense / 20% offense/ 20% conditioning.  That defensive percentage is probably even higher today. 

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Not denying it, was jerking chains.  I think I see the disconnect though.  We are not talking about the best HIGH SCHOOL players here.  You said you don’t see McClure as a D1 player.  HUGE difference.  Donohoe, who you brought up, is a prime example.  Easily could argue he’s a better HS player and you would be right imo.  By the same token, Ryan was a mediocre D2 player in college.  

Also as we pointed out, I would argue that Braelon Bush (who has already proven he’s a legit D1 btw) was a better HS player than Greg Brown.  Same HS class, Braelon was better in HS.  Greg, however, is having a great freshman season at Texas and will likely be a mid first round pick in next year’s draft.  

That’s all we have to go by on the young man from Lumberton. Like I’ve said many times I have nothing against the young man. I’ve watched him many times since his freshman year. At times he is a brilliant player and at others he disappears. He’s not a lockdown defender, he’s not an exceptional rebounder and I don’t see a body frame that’s gonna be able to bulk up. He does shoot FT’s very well. I hope he  has an outstanding career at Lamar but I’ve watched a lot of SLC basketball and I’m skeptical. 
 On the Donahoe topic I would have loved to have seen him sign at SFA, the offer was there. He never adapted to small college basketball I don’t think. He was the toughest young man I ever watched play high school ball and never shied away from the moment. I hope he got a degree and is doing well, haven’t heard anything about him in years.

9 hours ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

Bosha? Absolutely not 

Certainly in the argument. That’s the good thing about keyboard coaching everyone can be in the argument. Michael Saladin never met a moment in a basketball game that was to big for him. I still like Bosha. I keep seeing scoring stats which can be the most misleading stat in the game. 

10 hours ago, ST413 said:

Great game tonight.  Proud of my young Tigers!  They put together a great effort and pulled off a big win on the road.  I will have to second the comment on Bottley.  I was very impressed with his hands and defense in that second quarter.  I have to say this team is probably more balanced than the last few Tiger teams.  As far as the Raiders go it is definitely the McClure show but i was impressed by the play inside as well.  As far as McClure,  he definitely impressed me more tonight than he did last year.  Naturally his play has improved but more of what i am referring to is the mental side of game.  Last year he didnt have a real good attitude and seemed to give up on the game when they got behind.  I saw nothing of that tonight.  And he hit some tough shots late in the game.

Just a quick note. The “young tigers” started 2 seniors last night. The 2 freshman are gonna be special though no doubt.

1 minute ago, whsalum said:

Just a quick note. The “young tigers” started 2 seniors last night. The 2 freshman are gonna be special though no doubt.

One of those seniors (Baltrip) was his first start. Gilder, the other senior, has started all season since football was over.

Of the 78 points scored by Silsbee last night, all but 24 was scored by soph. and fresh. (24 from a senior Gilder, 34 from fresh., 20 from soph.)

Gilder and Baltrip were the only seniors to play last night. The bulk of the total minutes played were by fresh. and soph.

10 hours ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

Bosha? Absolutely not 

Bosha started all 4 years and is the all time leading scorer at HJ with more than 2600 points and is “absolutely not” better than McClure???

Not a basketball guy, but I have watched some decent players the last few years when I went to watch Hefner play. I have seen Lumberton play once early this year. It is incredibly naive of you guys to not acknowledge that McClure has had no one around him that can score the basketball. In the game earlier this year there was no one around him that could finish or knock down shots. Talking to people in the area that know basketball, they tell me it is still the same;  McClure doing it all with little help. Whereas the guys you are listing have had great team success due to having good players take pressure off of their best players. Something lumberton has never had the luxury of doing. A few of these players that are being named are having success because they are surrounded by other good players. 

1 minute ago, Byrdiug said:

Not a basketball guy, but I have watched some decent players the last few years when I went to watch Hefner play. I have seen Lumberton play once early this year. It is incredibly naive of you guys to not acknowledge that McClure has had no one around him that can score the basketball. In the game earlier this year there was no one around him that could finish or knock down shots. Talking to people in the area that know basketball, they tell me it is still the same;  McClure doing it all with little help. Whereas the guys you are listing have had great team success due to having good players take pressure off of their best players. Something lumberton has never had the luxury of doing. A few of these players that are being named are having success because they are surrounded by other good players. 

I think McClure will really thrive when he is surrounded by better players, and playing within a ball movement system. He could struggle, similar to Hefner, (who I am most familiar with) if he has to continuously beat defenders off of his first step alone, like they have at HS level. Clearly defenders at the next level will be better. Team basketball elevates guys like McClure and Hefner, IMO. Hefner had a better taste of that in HS than McClure has from the little I have seen and the lot that I have heard. 

10 hours ago, The Lake said:

Do you think you could still say this if Baxter and McClure swapped teams?

14 minutes ago, Byrdiug said:

I think McClure will really thrive when he is surrounded by better players, and playing within a ball movement system. He could struggle, similar to Hefner, (who I am most familiar with) if all he has to continuously beat defenders off of his first step alone, like they have at HS level. Clearly defenders at the next level will be better. Team basketball elevates guys like McClure and Hefner, IMO. Hefner had a better taste of that in HS than McClure has from the little I have seen and the lot that I have heard. 

You can argue with these guys until you are blue in the face.  Had some of these same conversations last year re Hefner.  All he has done is go to a high D1 school and play meaningful minutes and even start some games.  As a freshman.  They get confused over HS vs college ball which are two completely different animals that are universes apart.  McClure has the size and skill set that will, like Hefner, garner him minutes and make him a very impactful player for Lamar.  I didn’t say star or all conference or any of that (although the way I understand he works, I won’t sell him short and say it’s out of the question).  But he will earn his scholarship there, I have no doubt.  

But save your breath would be my advice.  People either know and get it or they don’t.  You won’t convince them otherwise.  And for someone who claims not to be a basketball guy, your posts on this thread seem to indicate otherwise.