Houston Wheatley 61 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 58/FINAL

All this has been discussed, but Wheatley, like a lot of schools  is a victim of the new way to build basketball programs. Back in the day, in the 60s & 70s, all the homegrown b-ball talent stayed in 5th ward or in Kashmere gardens.  Those areas were locked in by bad roads, slow mass transit, etc. Save the rest for MLK weekend or the month of February.  Now, all kinds of good roads are being built.  Then you got AAU spies & pimps, the internet, twitter, What's app, mass transit trains and buses to take a ball player anywhere in Houston.  All the genes have moved to Northshore, Cypress, FB Brazoria counties..  You get the picture.  I was talking to a young man not long ago.  He said he played football for Northshore.  I asked if he lived out that way.  He said he has always lived in Kashmere Gardens.   NS is 20 miles away.  They're not the only ones, not by a long shot. So, whatever kind of team Wheatley can put on the court is almost a miracle.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

All this has been discussed, but Wheatley, like a lot of schools  is a victim of the new way to build basketball programs. Back in the day, in the 60s & 70s, all the homegrown b-ball talent stayed in 5th ward or in Kashmere gardens.  Those areas were locked in by bad roads, slow mass transit, etc. Save the rest for MLK weekend or the month of February.  Now, all kinds of good roads are being built.  Then you got AAU spies & pimps, the internet, twitter, What's app, mass transit trains and buses to take a ball player anywhere in Houston.  All the genes have moved to Northshore, Cypress, FB Brazoria counties..  You get the picture.  I was talking to a young man not long ago.  He said he played football for Northshore.  I asked if he lived out that way.  He said he has always lived in Kashmere Gardens.   NS is 20 miles away.  They're not the only ones, not by a long shot. So, whatever kind of team Wheatley can put on the court is almost a miracle.

This is definitely true. Another Area that does this is Katy. It’s been known Katy goes to get its athletes from Fort Bend ISD area. I Personally know Donovonn Young from that 10 Katy team and take a guess where he’s from?? 

20 hours ago, Kountzer said:

A lot of Wheatley’s talent came from pleasantville .. pleasantville is pretty much the midpoint between north shore and Wheatley.... kashmere , north forest , and Wheatley attendance zones are actually close to north shore ..all of their attendance zones are within 10 minutes from north shore ... kashmere is probably the furthest high school of the 3 and it’s only 10 miles away ... it’s 20 minute tops with a bad day of traffic ... not 20 miles bruh .. 20 miles in Houston is far as crap ... that’s pretty much from one side of the beltway to the other 

• WOSgrad changed the title to Houston Wheatley 61 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 58/FINAL
7 hours ago, bayou city 713 said:

A lot of Wheatley’s talent came from pleasantville .. pleasantville is pretty much the midpoint between north shore and Wheatley.... kashmere , north forest , and Wheatley attendance zones are actually close to north shore ..all of their attendance zones are within 10 minutes from north shore ... kashmere is probably the furthest high school of the 3 and it’s only 10 miles away ... it’s 20 minute tops with a bad day of traffic ... not 20 miles bruh .. 20 miles in Houston is far as crap ... that’s pretty much from one side of the beltway to the other 

I grew up in Silsbee and I love my home town.  My 2nd hometown is Houston, specifically 5th ward and kashmere gardens.  It has been that way since before I was born.  My aunt & uncle by marriage met in the halls of Wheatley.  Their classmate was legendary basketball coach Jackie Carr.  My cousins and a lot of my friends went to Kashmere where they played ball, marched in the marching bands, traveled with the stage band, and some teach there now.   I could easily debate what you have to say, anytime, any day.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I grew up in Silsbee and I love my home town.  My 2nd hometown is Houston, specifically 5th ward and kashmere gardens.  It has been that way since before I was born.  My aunt & uncle by marriage met in the halls of Wheatley.  Their classmate was legendary basketball coach Jackie Carr.  My cousins and a lot of my friends went to Kashmere where they played ball, marched in the marching bands, traveled with the stage band, and some teach there now.   I could easily debate what you have to say, anytime, any day.

I was born and raised in 5th Ward Texas, attended elementary and middle school in The Nickel. My siblings attended Wheatley and Kashmere HS, I played at The Famous Hester House Rec Center located in 5th Ward Texas. My barbershop and church is located in the heart of 5th Ward Texas. I on the other hand attended Jack Yates HS. I know a little bit about the rivalries between 3rd Ward, 5th Ward & Kashmere Gardens. I attended those heated games back in the day. The die hard alumni’s are no longer attending Kashmere & Wheatley basketball games. We discuss the state of those schools programs weekly at the barbershop and church. Third Ward High is still standing strong. 

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

I was born and raised in 5th Ward Texas, attended elementary and middle school in The Nickel. My siblings attended Wheatley and Kashmere HS, I played at The Famous Hester House Rec Center located in 5th Ward Texas. My barbershop and church is located in the heart of 5th Ward Texas. I on the other hand attended Jack Yates HS. I know a little bit about the rivalries between 3rd Ward, 5th Ward & Kashmere Gardens. I attended those heated games back in the day. The die hard alumni’s are no longer attending Kashmere & Wheatley basketball games. We discuss the state of those schools programs weekly at the barbershop and church. Third Ward High is still standing strong. 

You brought back memories with that one.  I played there also.  My grandpaw's last name Hester, but I haven't heard of a connection.

6 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Hey did you play basketball with any Dutton’s while at Wheatley, or were you doing the time of Dwight Jones, The Greatest Basketball Player In Wheatley and H-Town 

I went to Silsbee High School for four years. I attended Lamar Fleming middle school one year.  I've been around that area all my life.