Lumberton 62 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 46/FINAL

WOSgrad

• WOSgrad changed the title to Lumberton 62 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 46/FINAL
1 minute ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Yea, Silsbee is in trouble...

I don’t know about that but I stand by my earlier prediction that LCM has a better chance of missing the playoffs than winning the district.   I do think Lumberton can challenge Silsbee based on McClure and coaching.  Silsbee is still the favorite. 

38 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I don’t know about that but I stand by my earlier prediction that LCM has a better chance of missing the playoffs than winning the district.   I do think Lumberton can challenge Silsbee based on McClure and coaching.  Silsbee is still the favorite. 

Silsbee is the favorite till someone else wins district 

McClure is definitely the best player in the district. LC-M had no answer for him last night.

Lumberton's weakness is depth. Coach Mitchell only played 6 in rotation and starting 5 probably logged 95% of the total minutes played last night until the final minute when game was in hand. McClure, Fuselier, Hattaway and Millican never were subbed for. (Millican ended up on the bench near the end due to slight injury)

Lumberton also pounded LC-M on the boards. Great advantage in that regard.

Neither team showed any real full court pressure. Both teams played man defense.

Be curious to see how both these teams handle full court pressure.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

McClure is definitely the best player in the district. LC-M had no answer for him last night.

Lumberton's weakness is depth. Coach Mitchell only played 6 in rotation and starting 5 probably logged 95% of the total minutes played last night until the final minute when game was in hand. McClure, Fuselier, Hattaway and Millican never were subbed for. (Millican ended up on the bench near the end due to slight injury)

Lumberton also pounded LC-M on the boards. Great advantage in that regard.

Neither team showed any real full court pressure. Both teams played man defense.

Be curious to see how both these teams handle full court pressure.

That last part has my curiosity to

3 minutes ago, Roy Orbison said:

Mitchell always knows what ingredients to brew up.

Agreed.  And just because a coach plays a lot of players, doesn’t mean you have depth.  I remember a coach in this district who no longer coaches. He would play 10 deep every year, and put in the same subs for the same starters at almost the same time every quarter (at least through three quarters).  Same thing every game, every year.  And the talent level toward the end of those rotations was like falling off a cliff.  He was PLAYING depth without HAVING depth.  

Drove me nuts.  If you are making the same subs at the same time in each game, regardless of score, situation, etc, you aren’t coaching, you’re scripting.  And you might should be in one act play instead of basketball.  

The really good ones like Mitchell make those decisions in game, not before the ball is even tipped. 

31 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Agreed.  And just because a coach plays a lot of players, doesn’t mean you have depth.  I remember a coach in this district who no longer coaches. He would play 10 deep every year, and put in the same subs for the same starters at almost the same time every quarter (at least through three quarters).  Same thing every game, every year.  And the talent level toward the end of those rotations was like falling off a cliff.  He was PLAYING depth without HAVING depth.  

Drove me nuts.  If you are making the same subs at the same time in each game, regardless of score, situation, etc, you aren’t coaching, you’re scripting.  And you might should be in one act play instead of basketball.  

The really good ones like Mitchell make those decisions in game, not before the ball is even tipped. 

Correct. It comes down to who gives you the best chance to win and Mitchell thinks 6 or 7 guys give him the best chance to do that. This was the case with Lumberton last year as well because of depth issues. At the end of the day these are teenage boys and if anyone can play 32 out of 32 minutes it’s them. I think the only teams in this district who have reliable depth is BC and maybe Silsbee, lack of depth isn’t uncommon in 4A basketball.