Crosby Vs Texas High!

CowbellCoog

1 minute ago, kingwolf1 said:

Texas High will not be surprised by Crosby's speed...Texas High hung with Longview very well at the start of the year.  Longview has some of the top speed across the board of any program in Texas...

I think this is going to be one to the top 2 games in 5AD2 this week...it should be a slobber knocker...I don't get the blowout predictions.  This game will come down to the Texas high defense.  I say TH by 10

I don't think other folks watch ETX football. Texarkana ball can easily be found on youtube, that's where I watch em at. 🤷🏾‍♂️

7 minutes ago, kingwolf1 said:

Texas High will not be surprised by Crosby's speed...Texas High hung with Longview very well at the start of the year.  Longview has some of the top speed across the board of any program in Texas...

I think this is going to be one to the top 2 games in 5AD2 this week...it should be a slobber knocker...I don't get the blowout predictions.  This game will come down to the Texas high defense.  I say TH by 10

Just to be clear, when you say “. . . hung with Longview. . . “, you’re taking about a scrimmage, correct? IDK about Smoaky but we don’t count those on this website. 

1 hour ago, kingwolf1 said:

Don’t think that scrimmage got very far.   Fight broke out and was called off.  Longview ran gassers in front of the scrimmage crowd.

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Nobody said Marshall was as good as last year. That’s why they went .500 and missed the playoffs. The point was they ran through that district last year and got hammered in the first round. TH struggled for three quarters with LC who gave up over 40ppg in their three district losses. I haven’t see anybody say Crosby is unbeatable either. Your earlier comment works both ways. Y’all don’t have a handle on what Crosby is or isn’t either. 

I get it dude, Crosby is the GOAT...whatever.

8 hours ago, oldman said:

Don’t think that scrimmage got very far.   Fight broke out and was called off.  Longview ran gassers in front of the scrimmage crowd.

For everyone's information, the fight broke out at the end of the portion of the scrimmage that is like game action conditions.  Actually they got the best of Longview.  You can count it however you want but I guarantee you that it got the attention of not only the LV players but everyone who viewed the live streamed scrimmage.  Everyone in Northeast Beast Texas on the 5A an 6A level had a feeling that the Tigers had a very good chance to be special.  They have beaten everyone that has been put in front of them and they are not "just glad to be here."  The game is coming very soon and let the chips fall where they may.  The scrimmage may not mean anything to SETX fans, but who cares???

13 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Just to be clear, when you say “. . . hung with Longview. . . “, you’re taking about a scrimmage, correct? IDK about Smoaky but we don’t count those on this website. 

I think you are taking me the wrong way.  I also know how the scrimmage started and how it ended as I was there on the Longview side.  The first team starters were Teeing off on each other...those two schools always go at each other.  My simple point of bringing it up was that normally Texas High can't match Longview across the board with team speed but they looked better this year than I have seen them ever matching up.  It was interesting and surprising to see.  Again, my point was they looked better from a talent and skill perspective as a whole than they have in the last 10-15 years...means no more and no less...  

12 hours ago, oldman said:

obviously further than you think...I watched the whole thing including my Lobos losing their cool...see my other response...just saying the talent level for TH was very noticeable than from many years past when they took the field, 1st team against 1st team...

I don't know why anyone responds to 14.2. 

If Texas high plays like they did last week in the first half they will have a problem, but they know that. Hopefully this is a great game. 

Texas High has played speed like Crosby for sure, the Question is what will Branch and Dunn do? 
The versatility of those two is amazing and it's hard to scheme for a team that switches QB's and RB's and both their QB's/RB's are also really good receivers. Crosby will be creative in this one, that will either be a big boon or our downfall. I suspect Texas high is going to get several looks we haven't used on anyone all season because Texas high deserves that level of respect. An Undefeated district champion that has beat everyone on their schedule is to be respected. 

I was extremely impressed by the Texas high defense, they will be the best we've faced (excluding Manvel ofc.) The offense seemed dynamic enough but also doesn't seem to be able to get into shoot outs and win. Anyone criticizing the Texas high schedule and not recognizing the egg we through up to end the season is just biased and simple. 

We will see, this one is so tough to take a winner on given no similar opponents, I mean the best comparison we can find is Montgomery beat Lake worse than Texas High did? but that's so many orders out it's worthless. I think you have the advantage Texas high in the this one. Cougars need their best game of the season. We need to not be predictable in play calls, and we need to treat this team like what they are... the biggest threat standing between us and a very deep playoff run. 

Thank you Cougtalk for an honest analysis. I respect your dual threat of Branch and Dunn. I feel the key to the game is whether Crosby’s offensive line can hold up to the pressure of the Tiger defensive line. Your OL coach has his work cut out for him this week. The defense ends have the ability to bring pressure. They are play disrupters. While the offense took the night off against Lake Creek, the defense did not. They had 9 sacks and 15 tackles behind the line. 

39 minutes ago, Bordertown said:

Thank you Cougtalk for an honest analysis. I respect your dual threat of Branch and Dunn. I feel the key to the game is whether Crosby’s offensive line can hold up to the pressure of the Tiger defensive line. Your OL coach has his work cut out for him this week. The defense ends have the ability to bring pressure. They are play disrupters. While the offense took the night off against Lake Creek, the defense did not. They had 9 sacks and 15 tackles behind the line. 

Our Oline has been pretty good all year. I think it's way more than the O-Line coach that is going to be involved. Motions, read options, and odd formations are not going to challenge the physicality of your defensive ends but rather their football IQ. This tends to be the equalizer. Just like Texas High protects their Tackles with a lot of RPO. We don't normally just drop back and pass, something is always happening before that. I trust Coach Freeman (our OC.) To have a versatile game plan. It's also important to note we were blowing everyone out mid season and had 0 reason to run anything but vanilla offense. So I feel we have a lot of wrinkles we've worked on all season but not used, or needed. 

We've also faced Manvel's Dline, nothing Texas high has in the physicality department is going to surprise us. 

2 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

Stepp has TX High by 7.   This is what he does for a living and he see's it as a close game.  I just don't see either team running away with it.  I know TX high is a good football team.  I think they may be underestimating Crosby a bit.  

Easy to do after that loss to end the season. 

10 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

I think you are taking me the wrong way.  I also know how the scrimmage started and how it ended as I was there on the Longview side.  The first team starters were Teeing off on each other...those two schools always go at each other.  My simple point of bringing it up was that normally Texas High can't match Longview across the board with team speed but they looked better this year than I have seen them ever matching up.  It was interesting and surprising to see.  Again, my point was they looked better from a talent and skill perspective as a whole than they have in the last 10-15 years...means no more and no less...  

Kingwolf got this exactly right.   No one wins or loses a scrimmage.   What can be reasonably determined is whether one team would clearly dominate the other if they were to play a real game, or whether that game would likely be a competitive game.  In prior years, when Texas High and Longview scrimmaged it was clear that Longview would dominate the Tigers in a real game.   This year, many came away with the impression that Texas High had a talent/skill level that would allow them to compete.   As Kingwolf said "...means no more and no less...".  

Just now, dme1111 said:

Crosby is really good.  I think they would beat Nederland 60% of the time.  Nederland just did what they had to do.  It was probably the best thing that could have happened to them.  Maybe now they will be humble and hungry for a win!!

The game is outside of the way we played the rest of the season kudos to Nederland, it just changes the dynamic because we play like that we lose by 20+ to Texas high. 

One Tidbit, I don't take anything that happened early in the season with any validity. teams had extremely variant practice schedules, availability, locker room shut downs and whole host of other issues. If Crosby and Manvel player today I think Manvel demolishes us. However, I apply that same logic to yalls scrimmage with Longview. Everyone is grasping for straws to hold onto, it could be that Texas High's district isn't great, or it could be Crosby's district was underrated. None of that matters on Friday and hey we will find out because our districts are playing each other in 2x playoff games this weekend. 

I'm thinking about how the strength of a district can artificially inflate a team.   

I was looking at district strength according to Texasfootball.com.  12-5a ranks as the second toughest district in the state. 9-5a ranks as the 6th. 

A great example of this is Fort Bend Marshall.  They are ranked number 3 in the state.  They are in a HORRIBLE district.  They win every game by 50 points because they are playing lackluster opponents.  

This week we will see if Texas High deserves the number 5 ranking in the state or if their soft district has artificially inflated their record.  

Week 14 computer rankings (the last available i could find) had Texas High as 10th in the state and Crosby as 11th.  Before the Nederland loss of course :)

Again, this should be  a slugfest.  Gonna be one of the best games of the year IMO. 

Some are talking about the supposed struggle that THS had against LC.  Yes we also had a bigger struggle against Nac.  The game conditions on those two Friday nights were very similar except that one was the day after Thanksgiving on the road and the other was on a playoff Friday night at home.  No, THS has not been involved in a shootout all season as many of their games were over by halftime.  Crosby won by 66 against a goose egg the last time out.  Looks to me like Crosby's history says that they have not been tested since early in the season.  As a THS fan, I will take some adversity to let the team know that victory is not always easy to achieve.  After listening to the Tiger HC this morning, I have a pretty good idea of the talent level and speed of Crosby.  THS may not have the track stars that Crosby has but they are not lining up offensive linemen at wide receiver either.  Believe that.  Neither team can do anything about the strength of the district that they compete in. So saying that their record is artificially inflated is, to me, a bit disrespectful.  THS played the teams that were on their schedule just like Crosby and no matter who Crosby has played they came up short three times.  So don't inflate yourselves using the quality of the teams that beat you.  Throw the rankings out.  Throw the computers out.  The game is going to be played on the field and the variables that will dictate either teams victory or loss won't be, and cannot be dependent on the polls, rankings, or even by what happened in last week's game.  Go Texas High Tigers!!!

7 minutes ago, DogonSirius7 said:

After listening to the Tiger HC this morning, I have a pretty good idea of the talent level and speed of Crosby.  THS may not have the track stars that Crosby has but they are not lining up offensive linemen at wide receiver either.  

So we are faster than TH by enough that it gets coaches comments about it. That's good to know, I think we might have a better chance then I originally assumed. 

Good luck containing Branch and Dunn

Crosby deserves respect and I hope we all get to see a good game. Team speed is something that has been mentioned and I don’t disregard that, I do believe people here don’t realize that is nothing new for Texas high.  (Pine Tree has two receivers that qualified for the state track meet last year as well) In fact Texas high travels  To Austin To compete in the Texas relays yearly. they have won the state track meet 3 times in the past 11 years. Thigh has been known for team speed defensively and usually being a bit undersized, this year they have both. We will see what happens. Crosby has a very good Qb and RB with others than can also run. Hoping they are pressured enough to get thrown off rhythm.