Silsbee 107 Woodville 54/FINAL

WOSgrad

10 hours ago, whsalum said:

Woodville should be pretty solid. They had a very good post player last year who was a Freshman. He had a monster playoff game in the first round against Kountze. They lost in OT but the Freshman kid carried Woodville and almost pulled off the win. I don’t think they put much emphasis on their basketball program . They always have the kids who are very athletic. 

I heard Freshamn kid transferred to lufkin area. 

2 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Silsbee had 17 steals. That certainly didn't help Woodville's chances. The Eagles also shot the ball really poorly from the 3 point line.

They did have one pretty good sized kid on the floor, but he didn't do too much.

Yea loosing the turnover battle will do it to you. I don’t think our guards have seen that type of defensive pressure. The 5 man rotation was also a good strategy by the Silsbee coach. We don’t have much depth beyond our starters. Lot of younger guys who may develop into solid players later but not a lot of them are ready to play at that level just yet. That will be a good strategy for Silsbee against most teams in their district also. 

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Don't remember the number, but he was a starter. About 6'3 and a thick build.

I think #1 was on the floor, but not 100 percent on that.

Edit: Checked the Max Preps highlights. He was out there.

If the big kid had dreads that would be the Senior, Jacorey. Football prospect 

27 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think once football season is over in Woodville they go straight to Hennigan park, which is a shame. There has always been a lot of basketball talent in Woodville that never makes it to the floor. It’s probably been at least 15 years since they actually hired a basketball coach. 

We have a lot of kids who are excited about basketball each year but the school board is probably more enthused about baseball than basketball. I won’t say there’s always a lot of basketball talent because it depends on what you call “a lot of basketball talent”. But there’s normally enough. Woodville doesn’t do a good job of hiring coaches at all in my opinion. I think they just lucked up and accidentally hired a good football coach because the other one left. This is Coach Evans first year as a head basketball coach and I think they may have accidentally done it again lol. Coach Evans is probably no bball Guru although I’m sure he knows a thing or two. But the important thing is he’s the best man for the job. He’s a guy that loves the game, loves the community, and loves the kids he’s coaching. Any areas he’s lacking in coaching he’ll improve and I think he’ll turn out to be a great coach for the Woodville Eagles. 

4 hours ago, Setx fan said:

We have a lot of kids who are excited about basketball each year but the school board is probably more enthused about baseball than basketball. I won’t say there’s always a lot of basketball talent because it depends on what you call “a lot of basketball talent”. But there’s normally enough. Woodville doesn’t do a good job of hiring coaches at all in my opinion. I think they just lucked up and accidentally hired a good football coach because the other one left. This is Coach Evans first year as a head basketball coach and I think they may have accidentally done it again lol. Coach Evans is probably no bball Guru although I’m sure he knows a thing or two. But the important thing is he’s the best man for the job. He’s a guy that loves the game, loves the community, and loves the kids he’s coaching. Any areas he’s lacking in coaching he’ll improve and I think he’ll turn out to be a great coach for the Woodville Eagles. 

I don’t know Coach Evans so my statement was not a slam on him. I wonder if they would hire a football coach who “loves the community, loves the game and loves the kids “. Woodville plays in a 3a district and has more than enough basketball talent to compete.