Interesting Pirate facts

piratevillain

Found this some pretty cool stats for Pirate fans on texashighschoolfootballhistory.com

The past 20+ seasons under Coach Mathews shows that the last two years shows the Pirate defense gave up the least points the last two seasons with (144) in 2019 and (133) in 2020 given they only played 9 games respectively both years. These impressive numbers given that they are Vidor's, goes back to 1984 when that defense only gave up (118) points on a 6-4 ball club. But factor in different types of offense "may" have effected those low totals also.

Anyways, the nephew told me today he was named Defensive MVP for district this season.🏴‍☠️

Screenshot_20201208-210202~2.png

11 hours ago, piratevillain said:

Found this some pretty cool stats for Pirate fans on texashighschoolfootballhistory.com

The past 20+ seasons under Coach Mathews shows that the last two years shows the Pirate defense gave up the least points the last two seasons with (144) in 2019 and (133) in 2020 given they only played 9 games respectively both years. These impressive numbers given that they are Vidor's, goes back to 1984 when that defense only gave up (118) points on a 6-4 ball club. But factor in different types of offense "may" have effected those low totals also.

Anyways, the nephew told me today he was named Defensive MVP for district this season.🏴‍☠️

I guess those stats kind of debunk the idea that defense win's championships.

5 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

I really don't feel in the "PC" mood today. Mathews sucks

Maybe at coaching, but that's a really broad statement.  

I mean, y'all did drop down and only manage fourth in your district.  We dropped down and missed the playoffs... but then again, there aren't any teams like WOS or Silsbee in your district, so......

Maybe both of our coaches are "really good dudes."   I say that we make that the new "code" for a crappy coach.  "He's a really good dude."

2 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Maybe at coaching, but that's a really broad statement.  

I mean, y'all did drop down and only manage fourth in your district.  We dropped down and missed the playoffs... but then again, there aren't any teams like WOS or Silsbee in your district, so......

Maybe both of our coaches are "really good dudes."   I say that we make that the new "code" for a crappy coach.  "He's a really good dude."

Coincidentally, I have some coaching friends that coach some "really good kids".  

The argument I've made (even on this site) for quite some time is that a team has to have a decent coaching STAFF that's capable of getting maximum potential effort from the players, a group of good players, and favorable competition in order to make any considerable noise in the W column.  More times than not you have to have at least 2 of those 3.  I'm not defending this guy.. I don't even know him.  Just reiterating that there's much more involved than whoever the head coach is.  Wanna make a change?  Make a change.. but there is no quick fix.  Often it's just the opposite. 

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Coincidentally, I have some coaching friends that coach some "really good kids".  

The argument I've made (even on this site) for quite some time is that a team has to have a decent coaching STAFF that's capable of getting maximum potential effort from the players, a group of good players, and favorable competition in order to make any considerable noise in the W column.  More times than not you have to have at least 2 of those 3.  I'm not defending this guy.. I don't even know him.  Just reiterating that there's much more involved than whoever the head coach is.  Wanna make a change?  Make a change.. but there is no quick fix.  Often it's just the opposite. 

So true, but to think you can put all your best football players on defense and think you are going to win is asinine.

Yes, you have to get stops on defense to win, but you put great effort kids on defense, you put kids that are always going to be in the right spot, you put kids on defense that are always going to do what they are told and do it with intensity and aggressiveness.

You put your best athletes on offense. Regardless of the scheme or system that you run.

23 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

So true, but to think you can put all your best football players on defense and think you are going to win is asinine.

Yes, you have to get stops on defense to win, but you put great effort kids on defense, you put kids that are always going to be in the right spot, you put kids on defense that are always going to do what they are told and do it with intensity and aggressiveness.

You put your best athletes on offense. Regardless of the scheme or system that you run.

I personally think that the most athletic players in college/pro are the ones covering receivers.  DB's, outside backers, what have you..  But that's a completely different animal.  I think the best athletes on any high school football team should be the ones that have the ball in their hands the most.  That's just me.

Again.. I'm arguing nor condoning any coach's specific strategy.  Just saying that it's a multitiered system (winning games that is).  I've never even seen Vidor play.  I literally have no dog in the fight.  

27 minutes ago, Byrdiug said:

The folks over in PNG beg to differ. 

They can differ all they want to, compare Vidor's results and PNG's.

PNG is in the playoffs every year, Vidor would kill to be a consistently  ( playoffs 11 out of 12 years under Faircloth) successful program.

PNG is averaging 8 wins a season over that 12 year period, that is with one  2-8 season included.

How many times did Vidor beat PNG when they were in the same district?

4 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Now does PNG need to play some of those "athletes" on both sides of the ball, probably.

But, what Faircloth does is a lot closer to a successful formula than what Vidor does, IMO.

Can’t say I disagree with that, Vidor had some guys that could go on the Dline, Linebacker and Secondary. They could have really helped the offense get going but didn’t mix them in until it was too late in the season, even then didn’t use them enough both ways.

2 minutes ago, exsoftballplayer said:

When I was in school at Vidor (1971-1975)...we were 0-40.....we were the butt of IH10 jokes....Interstate 10-Vidor 0....etc.....they NEVER won a football game while I was in high school.......

The early seventies were hard times for Vidor, but during the mid- and late-seventies and continuing into the mid-eighties, Vidor had strong teams.  The problem was only one team went to the playoffs and Vidor was in a district with PN-G, Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson, Beaumont French, and Beaumont West Brook.  All of those teams won a state championship or made the state finals during 1975-1985.  SE TX had its fair share of champions back then.  Vidor made a run in 1978 under HC Philip Brown.  They won the DC and played a good Aldine team in the Astrodome that was probably twice their size in enrollment.  People in Vidor must have forgotten the strong Pirate teams coached by Ronnie Thompson (1975 and 1977) and Philip Brown (1978-1983).  Under Ronnie Thompson, the Pirates threw the ball all over the yard when most teams were running 3-yards and a cloud of dust.  And, he had a bag of trick plays for every game.  Add to that some strong defenses, and the Pirates won some games.  Under Philip Brown, the Pirates loaded up on the line of scrimmage and hit people in the mouth.  They had big OL kids and usually a big RB to pound people into submission.  That's what they did in 1978.  All of that to say, Coach Matthews would be third in my pecking order.  He's had some good teams.  He uses his personnel and finds a way to max out wins.  He runs a clean program and high school coaches from Orange to El Paso love the guy.  If he ever left Vidor, he could have another job within hours.  Several HC would hire the guy just to have him on their staff.  He is a known commodity and a well-liked man.

Go Indians.  Peace.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Now does PNG need to play some of those "athletes" on both sides of the ball, probably.

But, what Faircloth does is a lot closer to a successful formula than what Vidor does, IMO.

Having division 1 athletes and superior players that run the “formula” has more to do with the success than the “formula” itself. 

18 hours ago, piratevillain said:

Congratulations to your nephew.  Well deserved, and I doubt to many nose guards win that award.   Should be a shoo-in for winning it again next year.

1 hour ago, Byrdiug said:

Having division 1 athletes and superior players that run the “formula” has more to do with the success than the “formula” itself. 

The formula I am referring to has nothing to do with offensive scheme. It is the formula of putting his best athletes on offense. Vidor traditionally does not do this, unless it is a Montana Quirante, or other similar type player, who they play on both sides of the ball. But Vidor's defense is the priority, in PNG, offense is the priority.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Congratulations to your nephew.  Well deserved, and I doubt to many nose guards win that award.   Should be a shoo-in for winning it again next year.

I appreciate it. I thought the same thing about nose guards winning that award, the hard worked payed off for him along with his teammates and hopefully he can repeat again.🤞🏼

12 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

Yeah but we dropped from 22-5A to 4A his first year so ...................... Before that we were in a district with Central, West Brook, LaPorte, Lee, Sterling & Deer Park. That drop in classification coinciding with his first year at the helm is what contributed to the "turning the program around" illusion.  That is one important factor that people often overlook when comparing him to coaches of the past and he wouldn't have done any better than any of the previous coaches if he had been in the same circumstances.

I remember those 5A years when my brothers were in school. It was brutal. I remember when Central had Leeland McElroy and ran all over Vidor for 300+ yards at the Babe. One of the first Pirate games I vividly remember, and when West Brook had Chip Ambres and dropped 50 on us. It was brutal being in 5A and probably wouldn't of been no different if Mathews was the coach those years either.

8 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

No one ever considers that is first year just happened to coincide with the drop in classification.

I think Larry Neumann would have won state with the team Montana Quirante was on.

I think Vidor dropped from 5A to 4A in 1996 and went 5-5 that year and went 1-9 in '97 and 2-8 in '98. But Neumann could've went atleast 4-5 rounds deep with that Quirante teams, the 2012 year they scored nearly 500 points that year and 384 in 2011, and Vidor had pretty stout defenses both of those years.