Referee gets slammed by Edinburg HS player after being ejected

NHSBulldogFan

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Doesn't the whole team get punished when there is a holding call, offsides, personal foul, block in the back, etc.? Also, doesn't the whole team get punished when a player is found to be ineligible and the team has to forfeit games?

Yes, the entire team will be punished if an individual player commits a.. personal foul (for instance).  But.. personal fouls doesn't cause an entire team to be ejected.  However, the player who committed the foul might be.  And yes, the entire team may have to forfeit for having an ineligible player but that also falls on the coach for allowing the player to play.  The rest of the team may or may not even know.  Also, a team will suffer by a player losing eligibility by not having them but the player is the only one that doesn't get to play.  

Arguments can be made both ways.  I read somewhere that this kid has messed up before?  Should he have been playing?.. Do we not want educators/coaches to allow second chances?..  

My initial reaction says the kid should lose UIL eligibility to set a precedent.  Possibly assault charges.  The team should be punished whatever penalty comes with that type of blatant foul.  And move on.  Just my opinion. 

Some of these comments are absolutely insane. This kid unfortunately committed a crime. He should be punished accordingly. However, no one else on the team should be punished for his actions. That's ridiculous. Those of you comparing his actions to a holding penalty are comparing apples and oranges. You're comparing breaking the law to a holding penalty. Not even close to the same thing. The school district caved to the fake angry mobs and keyboard warriors like a few of you on this thread. 

11 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

Some of these comments are absolutely insane. This kid unfortunately committed a crime. He should be punished accordingly. However, no one else on the team should be punished for his actions. That's ridiculous. Those of you comparing his actions to a holding penalty are comparing apples and oranges. You're comparing breaking the law to a holding penalty. Not even close to the same thing. The school district caved to the fake angry mobs and keyboard warriors like a few of you on this thread. 

It's a polarizing issue, so naturally people are going to disagree. We're not the ones being combative here. 

Let's get this straight about my post. I am not for punishing the entire team because of one players actions. I threw that statement out how a team actually does get punished because of one players actions.

Just giving a point of view which I really don't agree with.

BTW, the young man has been charged with assault.

Yeah, some of you are definitely reaching by saying it's good for the whole team to miss the playoffs because of his actions. He's already been charged and arrested, he will be punished for his actions but the district definitely caved in to the media and punished the kids who were doing the right thing. "Making an example out of them" isn't a good enough reason to cancel the rest of those kids football season. They made an "example" out of reggie bush and USC but how many players have been either paid or given expensive things since then? This falls on the coaching staff in my opinion, they knew they had a hot head on the team but they were willing to look past that in order to field a more competitive team.

14 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

It's a polarizing issue, so naturally people are going to disagree. We're not the ones being combative here. 

Anyone wanting an entire team to be punished for one player's illegal actions is being combative by the nature of the comment. It's really just like saying if I go out and drive drunk, run a red light and hit another car, causing the death of the other driver, then my family should be punished the same as I would be. It just doesn't make good sense. (AAW, I read your comment and point taken, thank you.)

9 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

Anyone wanting an entire team to be punished for one player's illegal actions is being combative by the nature of the comment. It's really just like saying if I go out and drive drunk, run a red light and hit another car, causing the death of the other driver, then my family should be punished the same as I would be. It just doesn't make good sense. (AAW, I read your comment and point taken, thank you.)

Well, it's just the natural progression of things.  If he'd jumped offsides, he'd have cost his team five yards.  Unnecessary Roughness?  Fifteen yards.  2nd unsportsmanlike?  An additional 15 and disqualification for that player.  THEN attack a ref?  Disqualify the team.

I AM glad that the school took it upon themselves to self-police before the UIL got around to it.  I distinctly remember coach Dubois kicking an All-District player off of our team on '15 that had managed to get himself ejected from 3 games in one season.  He just didn't belong on the team... just like this kid apparently didn't, either.  

5 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Nah. Doesn’t make sense. 

It absolutely does.  It's a team sport, and when one of us messes up, we all pay the penalty.  

When those two kids in San Antone wrecked the ref in 2015, both of them were suspended from school for 75 days, lost UIL eligibility. The UIL declined to reinstate one for 2016 (I think the other graduated or quituated) and finally reinstated the other kid for 2017.  Their coach even permanently lost his teaching certificate. Granted, that coach may or may not have directed those kids to attack, but in this case where the kid has an obviously well-documented history of violently attacking officials..... You have to make a statement.  We might even see stronger penalties from the UIL before this is over with.  

When you jump offsides, you don't get set back five, your whole team does.  This kid cost his team 15, then another 15 and a personal disqualification.  THEN he attacked the ref.  I wouldn't have had a problem with an entire team disqualification at that point in the game.  

Make a strong stand and nip this behavior in the bud.  

It's a shame... the kid is a standout at the 6A level.  It's literally on every news source in America today.  Maybe he can still walk on at East Mississippi Community College. 

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It absolutely does.  It's a team sport, and when one of us messes up, we all pay the penalty.  

When those two kids in San Antone wrecked the ref in 2015, both of them were suspended from school for 75 days, lost UIL eligibility. The UIL declined to reinstate one for 2016 (I think the other graduated or quituated) and finally reinstated the other kid for 2017.  Their coach even permanently lost his teaching certificate. Granted, that coach may or may not have directed those kids to attack, but in this case where the kid has an obviously well-documented history of violently attacking officials..... You have to make a statement.  We might even see stronger penalties from the UIL before this is over with.  

When you jump offsides, you don't get set back five, your whole team does.  This kid cost his team 15, then another 15 and a personal disqualification.  THEN he attacked the ref.  I wouldn't have had a problem with an entire team disqualification at that point in the game.  

It's a shame... the kid is a standout at the 6A level.  It's literally on every news source in America today.  Maybe he can still walk on at East Mississippi Community College. 

I hope Buddy has cleaned up EMCC by now, but when you take on kids with character issues for the sake of winning that's what you get. They came down on his program pretty hard after the incident that you're referring to. 

19 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It isn't going to stop anyone else from doing it lol, this was a coaching and parenting issue. The whole "make an example out of them" argument is stupid in this scenario. It'll go viral for a week and then something else will catch everyone's attention. There will always be athletes with anger issues and it's up to the coaches to know when to step in before something like this happens. This was shocking to me at first but then I learned he had a similar incident last year, it made sense from there. That should've been a red flag from the get go and the coaches should bear the consequences as well not the kids who fought hard all year to make the playoffs. 

Arguments can be made on either side of this and be legit. No doubt this kid deserves the hammer, can't help but feel bad for the team.  Just one hypothetical question for the arm chair hanging judges out there....Your team or your son's team is in the state semifinals up by 30 early 4th quarter when one of your linebackers gets a brain fart and body slams a ref.  Is your vote still the team death sentence or hold on a minute let's look at this?

I'm not sure what should be done.  This act is so out there that the UIL is basically in uncharted waters.

But will the UIL feel the pressure to at least make an example of Edinburg for the sake of keeping current officials and helping bring in other officials given the shortages that are widely acknowledged?

19 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I'm not sure what should be done.  This act is so out there that the UIL is basically in uncharted waters.

But will the UIL feel the pressure to at least make an example of Edinburg for the sake of keeping current officials and helping bring in other officials given the shortages that are widely acknowledged?

Should be in the criminal courts now and UIL irrelevant....

19 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Once he s been ejected imo it’s not a team thing. It’s an individual thing (criminal)

I agree. Ejection means he's disqualified from competition and no longer part of the team. His actions were his own. The moment he's no longer an athlete, it's back to student. Then the school/coaches/admin is responsible for making sure he leaves the field. Someone failed. But don't punish the kids on the sideline. Sadly 2020 has taken another joy from them.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nah, once he was DQ’d, it’s on him. Not the team.