Jasper Football 2021

Bulldogs92

The Jasper football program is like the pretty girl that's bad habits drive you freaking nuts, but you're ugly and she loves you, so you put up with her issues. 🤣

It's time to move forward like some of you have that follow other schools. Who's back for the Bulldogs next year? Is there any word on whether the schedule will be similar to what this season's was supposed to be? Are we even gonna be penciled in as the #2 team in district behind Carthage?

We're losing Adams and Limbrick to graduation, so the offense is going to take a hit, but Smith made all kinds of plays on defense as a freshman and it'll be exciting to see him grow in the next three years. 

How will the coaches adapt to what they saw against the better teams that the Bulldogs played? Will Coach Barbay change the philosophy at all? 

Actually, Jasper is like a remarkably average looking girl that you take out for dinner at the Cedar Tree and you realize that she can't hold a fork or a conversation.  Then she mentions that her fee-yawn-say has been in jail since the Spring and that she's five weeks pregnant... but she's not worried about it... she can take care of herself.  

And all you want to do is skip dessert and drop her off at her bruncle's house and hope nobody noticed the two of you out on the town.  

I've given credit to Officer Barbrady and the Dawgs for renewing their matchup with Silsbee.... I also suspect that Jasper will (as always) have some good athletes rise to the occasion.  I don't see Barbay making any substantial changes... Jasper is kinda like us in the fact that they aren't a qb factory.... I don't know how you can cultivate state championship talent under center, so that leaves you completely reliant on a rb.... that will still work down in 3A D2 where Newton lives, but it doesn't fly against squads like y'all run into in 4A.  It eventually catches up, if for no other reason than not being able to defend a passing attack because you just don't see one often enough. 

But the dawgs will finish near the top of District and hopefully make a round or two further than they did this year. 

I’m a firm believer in football being about x and o’s..  no matter what offense you run, it’ll come down to blocking, executing, and sound defense.  Nothing wrong with going under center.  That don’t mean you’re just a running team.! Plenty of teams that run just as much as Jasper and go out the shotgun in spread.  There are teams that go under center and pass just as good as anyone.  Jasper will need to evaluate the personnel and make sure that the kids are ready physically and mentally to run that offense and be sound enough on defense to make it work.  Like I’ve said before, I’m not a big fan of the Jasper staff, but I have no problem with their scheme and think a tweak here and there that I can work and get them a deep playoff run...  

I remember someone saying at one time that WOS put their best all-around football players on defense and focused more on keeping people off the scoreboard. We have enough athletes in the program that we should be able to find 11 guys to do that AND enough to run a good offense that can score.

CB made a good point about our quarterbacks, though. We haven't had many historically that are dynamic enough to overcome deficits. Jasper has to become a defense-first program from the top all the way down. It's the only way we're going to have a chance. 

Walkoviak knew that and we went toe-to-toe with so many teams because of that. WOS guys from that era know how good those Jasper teams were. We were nasty on defense and we need to get back to that. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I remember someone saying at one time that WOS put their best all-around football players on defense and focused more on keeping people off the scoreboard. We have enough athletes in the program that we should be able to find 11 guys to do that AND enough to run a good offense that can score.

CB made a good point about our quarterbacks, though. We haven't had many historically that are dynamic enough to overcome deficits. Jasper has to become a defense-first program from the top all the way down. It's the only way we're going to have a chance. 

Walkoviak knew that and we went toe-to-toe with so many teams because of that. WOS guys from that era know how good those Jasper teams were. We were nasty on defense and we need to get back to that. 

Only one I can remember is Mitchell. 

Moye is a sore subject for sure, but no questioning his talent.  He was WR as a freshman.  I guess he was qb as a soph.

Mitchell was amazing and would be who I would rank as best all-round qb from Jasper that I can remember.

I went to school with Ben B. and both he and Fred H. were good qbs during those years.  Bronson's athleticism outweighed his qb skills for sure.  But he was electric. 

I think it was d. bailey that I remember that sure was fun to watch.  I bit undersized but he could sure make a big play.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Actually, Jasper is like a remarkably average looking girl that you take out for dinner at the Cedar Tree and you realize that she can't hold a fork or a conversation.  Then she mentions that her fee-yawn-say has been in jail since the Spring and that she's five weeks pregnant... but she's not worried about it... she can take care of herself.  

And all you want to do is skip dessert and drop her off at her bruncle's house and hope nobody noticed the two of you out on the town.  

I've given credit to Officer Barbrady and the Dawgs for renewing their matchup with Silsbee.... I also suspect that Jasper will (as always) have some good athletes rise to the occasion.  I don't see Barbay making any substantial changes... Jasper is kinda like us in the fact that they aren't a qb factory.... I don't know how you can cultivate state championship talent under center, so that leaves you completely reliant on a rb.... that will still work down in 3A D2 where Newton lives, but it doesn't fly against squads like y'all run into in 4A.  It eventually catches up, if for no other reason than not being able to defend a passing attack because you just don't see one often enough. 

But the dawgs will finish near the top of District and hopefully make a round or two further than they did this year. 

@JasperDAWG should be all over this. Where's he been lately?

7 minutes ago, Hupernikomen said:

Moye is a sore subject for sure, but no questioning his talent.  He was WR as a freshman.  I guess he was qb as a soph.

Mitchell was amazing and would be who I would rank as best all-round qb from Jasper that I can remember.

I went to school with Ben B. and both he and Fred H. were good qbs during those years.  Bronson's athleticism outweighed his qb skills for sure.  But he was electric. 

I think it was d. bailey that I remember that sure was fun to watch.  I bit undersized but he could sure make a big play.

I like Bailey too. Had lot's of heart.

Moye was probably the most gifted but a bit of a head case.

I agree, Mitchell was probably the best all around.

Hands down,Alan Hafford was the best qb to come though Jasper,his two years of varsity he only lost two games,his junior year his defense only allowed 13 points in the 10 regular games,therefore there was 8 shotouts on the schedule,but I truly agree with the earlier post about Walkoviak,he always put his teams in position to win the game,this what an excellent coach as well as a mentor can do for the success of a true winning program,he always placed the players in the right position based on their talents,this equation is what led to greatness during his era along with having a positive vision with all levels of the Jasper Football community,not only was he a great coach but he was a great mentor which prepared players for success on and off the field,he knew how to pick a positive coaching staff which cared about players in school as well as after they graduated,with this being said,it makes you think about people like Dan Hooks(WOS) and John Outlaw(Lufkin) these three coaches were great motivators as well as icons in Texas High School Football,if a coach doesn't carry these kind of characteristics a football program will never have success,unfortunately at this time we don't have a coach in Jasper that put kids in position to win the hard games or leave them with success for life after football.