Too Early? Coogs vs. Dogs!

CowbellCoog

9 hours ago, Davidp0403 said:

Crazy thing is if TC upsets BH.  TC goes in as 3 and BH gets the 4 and date with FB Marshall.   Between Crosby/Ned who would you rather play?  Houston sterling or the loser of FB willowridge/Galena park.   I’d rather win and go to bottom bracket with FB Marshall instead lose and be top half bracket with Texas High and Huntsville

Even though I think Crosby wins easily against any of them, I would rather play Willowridge. Losing to face FB Marshall is playoff suicide. Only an act of God wouldn't guarantee a lose for whoever is 4th seed from district 12. Huntsville offense isn't very good but their D is hard to move the ball on. Haven't seen Texas High so I can't comment on their pros and cons.

10 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

FBM will put 70 on Png smh. And Png might not score 10pts in the process. 

If FB Marshall only scores 70 on PNG it will be because it’s halftime. As long as FBM doesn’t want PNG to score, they won’t. Hard to see how anybody beats FBM until they play an Aledo or Ennis in the title game. They’re know for being pretty much the fastest team in 5A annually, I’ve never seen one of their teams with as much overall speed as their current one. 

3 hours ago, Cougar239 said:

Even though I think Crosby wins easily against any of them, I would rather play Willowridge. Losing to face FB Marshall is playoff suicide. Only an act of God wouldn't guarantee a lose for whoever is 4th seed from district 12. Huntsville offense isn't very good but their D is hard to move the ball on. Haven't seen Texas High so I can't comment on their pros and cons.

Texas High might have the biggest O-line I've seen in awhile averaging almost 300 pounds. They've been beat up by the injury bug as they're down to their 3rd string RB (one RB is out with a concussion) but they have a Jr. QB Brayson McHenry who is a good thrower and can also beat you with his legs. Texas High just barely escaped Nacogdoches with a win they currently they sit at 9-0. I feel teams in the playoffs will put some points on the Texas High defense as they're not very big but expect big offensive numbers as the team is very balanced running and passing.

We find out if Nederland are pretenders or contenders this weekend. 

But an overtime Fumble win over BH, and a 1 point loss to PNG have me believing they are just about as good as those two squads. I think they are getting better as the season goes which is exactly what you want to see in Nederland. 

But they are facing the team that hasn't been challenged in district. Will Nederland give Crosby a challenge? Maybe. What should we expect? Another game where the cougars roll over DII 12-5a opponents. 

Crosby 55-14 Nederland 

2 hours ago, Cougtalk said:

We find out if Nederland are pretenders or contenders this weekend. 

But an overtime Fumble win over BH, and a 1 point loss to PNG have me believing they are just about as good as those two squads. I think they are getting better as the season goes which is exactly what you want to see in Nederland. 

But they are facing the team that hasn't been challenged in district. Will Nederland give Crosby a challenge? Maybe. What should we expect? Another game where the cougars roll over DII 12-5a opponents. 

Crosby 55-14 Nederland 

I think Crosby will win this but Nederland giving up 55 points I dont see it 

11 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Only Time will tell. I think this is a step up in competition for the Dogs. And Crosby's offense has been on fire, lots of weapons to try and contain. I also think the defense gives Crosby a lot of chances. Yall threw 4 picks versus BH, the Cougars have had 2 or more picks in every game expect TC (for obvious reasons.) 

I don't think Crosby's offense if they get the same number of possessions and have to drive will score 55, but I think the Cougars will get lots of short field opportunities, and I don't think we take starters out as quickly as we have against other teams. It's very likely in round 2 we will need to play a really good 4 quarters to win and won't be up 4 scores in the 3rd quarter. That being said I doubted the dogs last week and those scrappy kids made it happen so, maybe I'm wrong. 

56 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Only Time will tell. I think this is a step up in competition for the Dogs. And Crosby's offense has been on fire, lots of weapons to try and contain. I also think the defense gives Crosby a lot of chances. Yall threw 4 picks versus BH, the Cougars have had 2 or more picks in every game expect TC (for obvious reasons.) 

I don't think Crosby's offense if they get the same number of possessions and have to drive will score 55, but I think the Cougars will get lots of short field opportunities, and I don't think we take starters out as quickly as we have against other teams. It's very likely in round 2 we will need to play a really good 4 quarters to win and won't be up 4 scores in the 3rd quarter. That being said I doubted the dogs last week and those scrappy kids made it happen so, maybe I'm wrong. 

Now I will say this about my team the one negative that I see is that we have one really good receiver and some other receivers that honestly I can't name but the bread and butter is running the ball as we have more than one good running back this year. I'm like you I could be wrong but I dont see Crosby getting 55.

14 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

The last time I remember Nederland having a defense Bulldog fans were high on they came to Crosby and give up 56, lost by 21. Gave up less than 10ppg in district play that year. That's irrelevant now but I would point out that in order for Crosby to score 55 on this version of Nederland they only have to be 20 points better than BH who we've already beaten by 27. I don't think Crosby will get 55 either but it's not because of your defensive stops, it's because Nederland will play at a slow pace to try to keep the ball away from Crosby's offense. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The last time I remember Nederland having a defense Bulldog fans were high on they came to Crosby and give up 56, lost by 21. Gave up less than 10ppg in district play that year. That's irrelevant now but I would point out that in order for Crosby to score 55 on this version of Nederland they only have to be 20 points better than BH who we've already beaten by 27. I don't think Crosby will get 55 either but it's not because of your defensive stops, it's because Nederland will play at a slow pace to try to keep the ball away from Crosby's offense. 

Maybe that's why he said he doesn't see 55... maybe he's seen Nederland play and has an idea of how they'll gameplan?

49 minutes ago, Razor said:

Man, I wonder why Nederland is even bothering to make the trip???sounds pretty hopeless against the all powerful mecca of Texas HS football

I was thinking the same thing ever since I found out the best defense resides in Nederland? Plus y’all have that state championship from the ‘50s and that great mid-county tradition. I’m really not seeing how Crosby has ever beaten Nederland, especially since Vidor has the same number of wins against us? 

The game will be played.  Nederland has to come out fighting and initiate their game plan.  Speed is on the Cougars side.  The dogs have a little speed as well at RB, QB and a WR that can do amazing things. We can't have 4 turnovers this week.  Our defense is legit and will be the KEY.  Can they contain?  This team has surprised me each week.  I hoping for a big surprise this week. Dogs by a FG.

51 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I was thinking the same thing ever since I found out the best defense resides in Nederland? Plus y’all have that state championship from the ‘50s and that great mid-county tradition. I’m really not seeing how Crosby has ever beaten Nederland, especially since Vidor has the same number of wins against us? 

Oh boy, one of them ppl will flock on here soon now. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Crosby 98

Nederland -6

Based on 14.2, that's the only prediction I can make...not sure how Nederland scores negative points, but the mighty mecca can somehow make that happen, I'm sure

reality is that Crosby is a big favorite and should win this game...just for fun, I would like to go ahead and have the boys lace 'em up and play anyway

2 hours ago, Razor said:

Crosby 98

Nederland -6

Based on 14.2, that's the only prediction I can make...not sure how Nederland scores negative points, but the mighty mecca can somehow make that happen, I'm sure

reality is that Crosby is a big favorite and should win this game...just for fun, I would like to go ahead and have the boys lace 'em up and play anyway

Based on the history over the years of the Nederland fans on this site like you I’m just truly great you guys allowed us to beat you even once. Those victories rank right up there with Beaumont Ozen. I’m thinking coach Prieto might let our guys go out there too? I’m not sure how we would be favored over a team like Nederland but I guess that why you play? 

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Well atleast Crosby doesn't have a Walter playing this time around 

That’s true, the Twins were probably the best two players Crosby has ever had at the high school level. Especially Austin who rushed for over 6k yards career yards. Aston Walter went 24-11 as a starter because of the defenses his offenses played with. His backup, Tristen Cotton, went 24-3 over the next two years because of the defenses he played with.

Some of the winning margins may not have been as wide but the chances of beating those Cotton teams were a lot less than those Walter teams who gave up big numbers regularly. Crosby doesn’t have a great offense this year, it’s a good offense enhanced by the personnel we have and what may be a great defense. I said all that to say I’d rather play those Walter teams versus Crosby’s better defensive teams. 

14 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That’s true, the Twins were probably the best two players Crosby has ever had at the high school level. Especially Austin who rushed for over 6k yards career yards. Aston Walter went 24-11 as a starter because of the defenses his offenses played with. His backup, Tristen Cotton, went 24-3 over the next two years because of the defenses he played with.

Some of the winning margins may not have been as wide but the chances of beating those Cotton teams were a lot less than those Walter teams who gave up big numbers regularly. Crosby doesn’t have a great offense this year, it’s a good offense enhanced by the personnel we have and what may be a great defense. I said all that to say I’d rather play those Walter teams versus Crosby’s better defensive teams. 

Defense wins championships and believe it or not it's still true in 2020