West Orange Stark 2021

WOS1986

22 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, it looks like for this post I am gonna wear 2 hats. 

Let's go first with the SETXsports.com administrator hat. @ladybug33 , SETXsports.com is a message board of the truest form.  Any person, including you, can post whatever view, within the bounds of a few rules, that person wishes, no matter how that may be viewed by the rest of the people who read this board.  By the same token, any person can come on and express their opinions of your view, again within the bounds of those same few rules.  As long as they are within those rules, it is not up to you as to whether or not they can respond to your views.  Now, do you have to read those rules? No, you have alternatives.  First, each profile comes with an "ignore" button where you can press it with regard to a certain poster.  Second, the first thing you usually see is the name of the poster.  Just because the poster posted doesn't mean you have to read it.  You can skip right past it.  Or finally, the third, if you are the type that will be so sensitive to see a response as an attack on you, then don't post that view at all.

Taking off the SETXsports.com hat and putting on the West Orange-Stark alumnus hat.  You have indicated that West Orange-Stark, for their next coach, should consider, regardless of the color of the skin of the most qualified coach, only an African-American coach and have given the "social justice" reasons for such a view.

If you could, answer me this, how will an African-American enable the West Orange-Stark Mustang football team to win more games and championships, that a coach of another ethnicity or race would not be able to offer?

Maybe my post got a little out of content as to what I meant. It is not that I feel that an African American coach would be better than anyone else; it is more culturally related for me. I can see how people may feel that I want a Black Head coach just because of color.  I have the up most respect for Coach T. and I hope that he will never leave, but we know that is not happening.  Every time a coaching change is due to be made, “The Talk” is to hire Toby Foreman, never considering anyone else especially a black man. A few years ago there was a discussion about landmarks around the school (WOS) being named after people who are pillars in Orange society. There were posters on Setex who were mad because our belated Coach Breelove was given the scoreboard to be named after him. He was an awesome motivator, good coach, and good man.  That made me feels some type of way about that. Especially, coming from people who are not from Orange, and who do not live in the African American community there.  I do not appreciate being called a racist because I am culturally motivated and will always be.  The topic of race is a sensitive subject that needs to be discussed by open minded people.  To my WOS friends just know that my opinion was not to stir the pot, but I guess I did; however it was to open the discussion about race, culture, and equal consideration, not to have opportunist poke their nose into discussion about race when their motivation is always to attack black people.

6 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

it was to open the discussion about race, culture, and equal consideration

Ma’am with all due respect, your “IT is time” comment spoke more like a mandate than opening a discussion. I will take you for your word that your intentions were meant to start a dialogue rather than to say that only a black head coach would be acceptable no matter what. 

10 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

Maybe my post got a little out of content as to what I meant. It is not that I feel that an African American coach would be better than anyone else; it is more culturally related for me. I can see how people may feel that I want a Black Head coach just because of color.  I have the up most respect for Coach T. and I hope that he will never leave, but we know that is not happening.  Every time a coaching change is due to be made, “The Talk” is to hire Toby Foreman, never considering anyone else especially a black man. A few years ago there was a discussion about landmarks around the school (WOS) being named after people who are pillars in Orange society. There were posters on Setex who were mad because our belated Coach Breelove was given the scoreboard to be named after him. He was an awesome motivator, good coach, and good man.  That made me feels some type of way about that. Especially, coming from people who are not from Orange, and who do not live in the African American community there.  I do not appreciate being called a racist because I am culturally motivated and will always be.  The topic of race is a sensitive subject that needs to be discussed by open minded people.  To my WOS friends just know that my opinion was not to stir the pot, but I guess I did; however it was to open the discussion about race, culture, and equal consideration, not to have opportunist poke their nose into discussion about race when their motivation is always to attack black people.

People excused racism on religious grounds for centuries. Wishing that a coach of any particular color be hired is racist, no matter what excuse you want to hide behind “Culturally” or otherwise. YOU chose to interject race into a discussion about WOS’s eventual next coach. You are not the first, and I doubt you will be the last. What you all have in common is that are no different than those that sought to keep schools segregated, prevent minority hires and otherwise discriminate along racial lines. Because discriminating is exactly what you are doing when you say that you are going to choose a candidate based on race.  Whether you’re saying “we won’t be hiring any black coaches around here” or you say “we’re going to hire a black coach next time,” both views are racist.  

46 minutes ago, monknuk68 said:

This topic has gotten very off topic. This was supposed to be about what type of team West Orange has coming back it's become political and other things close it down monitors.

Naw, let's just get it back on track.

One thing I'm looking forward to next season, the completion of the new facilities. The home side parking lot is getting a new gym. Also I think the press box will be getting an update during the off season. Last but not least, a new Jumbotron to replace the one damaged by the hurricane.

Hope that's not too political. Lol

3 hours ago, monknuk68 said:

This topic has gotten very off topic. This was supposed to be about what type of team West Orange has coming back it's become political and other things close it down monitors.

I don’t see it as political although you may construe it that way. “What type of team West Orange has coming back” (your words) would definitely include the coach, would it not? 

21 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

I'll respect your clarification. I agree, coach T needs to stay around as long as he is able. I also agree with considering culture but not necessarily a race culture but a Mustang culture. Coach T kept the Mustang culture going. I think it may be important for the next coach up (whatever race) to be familiar with the Mustang culture to keep it going. Bringing in an outside coach that has not relationship with the history (no matter how good he is) could be risky.

18 minutes ago, mat said:

I'll respect your clarification. I agree, coach T needs to stay around as long as he is able. I also agree with considering culture but not necessarily a race culture but a Mustang culture. Coach T kept the Mustang culture going. I think it may be important for the next coach up (whatever race) to be familiar with the Mustang culture to keep it going. Bringing in an outside coach that has not relationship with the history (no matter how good he is) could be risky.

I agree with this completely. Anybody that thinks the program over that hasn't been tattooed/stamped by Hooks/Thompson and the community as a whole is kidding themselves.  I don't know how you get somebody from outside and not lose something.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Are there any coordinators or coaches in house over there that seem able to make that step up and continue the ways over there?

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s awesome. Congrats to those boys and the WOS program. We went and visited Univ of Mary Hardin Baylor last weekend. That place is sweet!

There's been a few Mustangs go there recently. I think KJ Miller played in a national championship game couple years ago. Hope your kid gets a chance. Enjoy it my friend.

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

There's been a few Mustangs go there recently. I think KJ Miller played in a national championship game couple years ago. Hope your kid gets a chance. Enjoy it my friend.

Thanks. They offered him this weekend. Still looking around, but it’s at the top of the list for sure. 

• 2 months later...