West Orange Stark 2021

WOS1986

26 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

If they hire a black HC watchout, if he only makes to hypothetically speaking a "State Semi appearance" as his early peak in his tenure they might wanna run him outta town β˜•πŸ˜Β 

Β 

IYKYK.Β 

I don't know that a black coach would be on any shorter of a hook than a coach of any other skin color.Β  Sure there would be some who would want to ride him out of town.Β  But then again, there is a contingent of the greater Orange community that wants to do that to the current head coach despite the fact that in his 10 years as head coach (along with a very instrumental role in the era of his successor), he has led the Mustangs to 2 state championships, to the finals 2 more times and has advanced 4 rounds deep in the playoffs in every season of his tenure except 1. All of that plus raising the football team's winning percentage from .786 to .806 during his tenure (#1 in the state among schools that have played at least 500 games).Β  Yes, some of those who want him gone occupy this board......deny it as they will.

Some wish to call that "complacency".....not messing with a good thing.Β  And despite the claims of some, the West Orange-Stark Mustangs' football team is a good thing.

In topics here about other coaches and change, there has been a lot of talk about culture.Β  When I see a post on here on here that the primary consideration for the next head coach, whenever that change might become necessary, should be skin color, it makes me wonder if the posts I made in those topics about the current culture at WO-S are accurate and if the current football culture in my old home town has changed.....and not for the better.

If after an extensive search (something I do agree with) the best candidate to succeed Cornel Thompson, whenever that may occur, and to maintain or improve the tradition of winning at West Orange-Stark is an African-American, I will gladly welcome it as I expect other Mustang fans and alum will.Β  In fact, whoever it is will have my full support as that person's success will greatly affect my mood on Friday nights between Labor Day and Christmas.Β  However, if it appears that successor is put in place merely to satisfy some sense of social justice.......than yeah, I expect many will show their displeasure at the first sign of any misstep by the Mustangs.

After all, the West Orange-Stark Mustang football team is exactly that, a football team.

Much to dismay of plenty, some on this board, some in the superintendent's office, the Mustangs are not a social experiment.

3 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't know that a black coach would be on any shorter of a hook than a coach of any other skin color.Β  Sure there would be some who would want to ride him out of town.Β  But then again, there is a contingent of the greater Orange community that wants to do that to the current head coach despite the fact that in his 10 years as head coach (along with a very instrumental role in the era of his successor), he has led the Mustangs to 2 state championships, to the finals 2 more times and has advanced 4 rounds deep in the playoffs in every season of his tenure except 1. All of that plus raising the football team's winning percentage from .786 to .806 during his tenure (#1 in the state among schools that have played at least 500 games).Β  Yes, some of those who want him gone occupy this board......deny it as they will.

Some wish to call that "complacency".....not messing with a good thing.Β  And despite the claims of some, the West Orange-Stark Mustangs' football team is a good thing.

In topics here about other coaches and change, there has been a lot of talk about culture.Β  When I see a post on here on here that the primary consideration for the next head coach, whenever that change might become necessary, should be skin color, it makes me wonder if the posts I made in those topics about the current culture at WO-S are accurate and if the current football culture in my old home town has changed.....and not for the better.

If after an extensive search (something I do agree with) the best candidate to succeed Cornel Thompson, whenever that may occur, and to maintain or improve the tradition of winning at West Orange-Stark is an African-American, I will gladly welcome it as I expect other Mustang fans and alum will.Β  In fact, whoever it is will have my full support as that person's success will greatly affect my mood on Friday nights between Labor Day and Christmas.Β  However, if it appears that successor is put in place merely to satisfy some sense of social justice.......than yeah, I expect many will show their displeasure at the first sign of any misstep by the Mustangs.

After all, the West Orange-Stark Mustang football team is exactly that, a football team.

Much to dismay of plenty, some on this board, some in the superintendent's office, the Mustangs are not a social experiment.

You didn't miss the sarcasm I see. @BMTSoulja1 knew exactly what I was getting at. 😎

Just now, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

You missed the sarcasm I see. @BMTSoulja1 knew exactly what I was getting at. 😎

You're right, I missed it.Β  Although upon rereading it, I am not sure what you had was sarcasm but rather a parody based on true event in a city a little bit south of Orange.

Regardless, it was an available vehicle for me. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Just now, WOSgrad said:

You're right, I missed it.Β  Although upon rereading it, I am not sure what you had was sarcasm but rather a parody based on true event in a city a little bit south of Orange.

Regardless, it was an available vehicle for me. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

I meant you didn't miss it. My phone is on crack. πŸ˜‚

8 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

That is interesting. I would recruit from outside Texas, i.e. Oklahoma or Arkansas there is strong football history up there. Sometimes change is good. People from Orange are complacent when it comes to some things. Familiarity feels right for them. We need to shake things up a bit.

Β 

Thats true.but it shouldn't be abt getting a black coach. To be totally honest our whole area needs to get some coaching from outside our area.to be honest I can't see any of our local teams winning a state title.coaching isn't there.ive been watching w.o since 79-80.and all the different changes.i can't see them winning a title no time in the near future.imo teams are better prepared than teams in our area.and the coaching is better.in football this whole area is behind.i would luv to see local teams win it all.i don't see it at all.

4 hours ago, dj said:

Thats true.but it shouldn't be abt getting a black coach. To be totally honest our whole area needs to get some coaching from outside our area.to be honest I can't see any of our local teams winning a state title.coaching isn't there.ive been watching w.o since 79-80.and all the different changes.i can't see them winning a title no time in the near future.imo teams are better prepared than teams in our area.and the coaching is better.in football this whole area is behind.i would luv to see local teams win it all.i don't see it at all.

Well it was a thought that I was curious about.. Why hasn't there ever been a black head coach hired at WOS? WhyΒ is that a problem Β to some? Why is it that it has to be automatic go to someone form WOS or next man up? Orange is not ready for change.. that's the way it is there. I am WOS no matter if we are 12-0 or 1-12. Now running him off..not if he is strong and ignore the hip hooray, I think he would be just fine.Β 

1 hour ago, ladybug33 said:

Well it was a thought that I was curious about.. Why hasn't there ever been a black head coach hired at WOS? WhyΒ is that a problem Β to some? Why is it that it has to be automatic go to someone form WOS or next man up? Orange is not ready for change.. that's the way it is there. I am WOS no matter if we are 12-0 or 1-12. Now running him off..not if he is strong and ignore the hip hooray, I think he would be just fine.Β 

Ladybug33 im w.o to the fullest too.and ik sometimes money is a factor.imo i can't see no title in the near future. Not just us either.idk if ppl don't see the argyle,Carthage,North shore,katy they even prepare different from schools around here.we know they have more money but lack of coaching in this area is crazy.and even China Spring i was very impressed with that coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, dj said:

Ladybug33 im w.o to the fullest too.and ik sometimes money is a factor.imo i can't see no title in the near future. Not just us either.idk if ppl don't see the argyle,Carthage,North shore,katy they even prepare different from schools around here.we know they have more money but lack of coaching in this area is crazy.and even China Spring i was very impressed with that coaching staff.

CS had a nice run scheme. Jason Herring at Refugio is a good coach also.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, LC-M said:

Who would question it? He is 254-43 as of today 4 state champion ships. I’d put him high on my list. I think he would live for the right money. I don’t know what he is making right now.Β 

Ppl that think he runs up the score on purpose. πŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈ

A welcomed "change" the last couple season's wasΒ kicker Angel Ibarra. HeΒ was a great addition to the Mustangs. He set new records and elevated the level of expectations to the 3rd phase of the game. I've been told he is looking to get a scholarship to play college ball. If this happens, I could see more kids wanting to follow in his footsteps.

10 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

A welcomed "change" the last couple season's wasΒ kicker Angel Ibarra. HeΒ was a great addition to the Mustangs. He set new records and elevated the level of expectations to the 3rd phase of the game. I've been told he is looking to get a scholarship to play college ball. If this happens, I could see more kids wanting to follow in his footsteps.

Need a soccer program.Β 

4 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

Why haven’t they hired an Asian or an Hispanic head coach? The real question is if all the coaches hired were qualified, then why is this even a question?

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there only been 3 head coaches in the history of WO-S?

If so, then only been 2 hires. With the asking of "why", one would think that there have been several head coaching hires at WO-S.

Simple mathematics says the opportunity to hire a minority head coach really hasn't been there.

22 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there only been 3 head coaches in the history of WO-S?

If so, then only been 2 hires. With the asking of "why", one would think that there have been several head coaching hires at WO-S.

Simple mathematics says the opportunity to hire a minority head coach really hasn't been there.

I get your meaning, but they’ve had 3 shots at it. 0-3. The real answer shouldn’t be, β€œWe haven’t had a chance...”. The real answer should be, β€œWe hired 3 qualified deserving coaches every time.” If the job comes up, ALL applicants should be considered solely Β on their merits and what they can bring to the program. That’s it. If it’s a black person, awesome. If it’s a personΒ from India, great. If it’s a white personΒ from Kansas, good forΒ him/her. Hire the most qualified for the job.Β 

16 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I get your meaning, but they’ve had 3 shots at it. 0-3. The real answer shouldn’t be, β€œWe haven’t had a chance...”. The real answer should be, β€œWe hired 3 qualified deserving coaches every time.” If the job comes up, ALL applicants should be considered solely Β on their merits and what they can bring to the program. That’s it. If it’s a black person, awesome. If it’s a personΒ from India, great. If it’s a white personΒ from Kansas, good forΒ him/her. Hire the most qualified for the job.Β 

I stated 2 hires because when West Orange HS and Stark HS combined, I believe the coach at WO got the job due to Stark coach moving on.

49 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I stated 2 hires because when West Orange HS and Stark HS combined, I believe the coach at WO got the job due to Stark coach moving on.

I think it is indeed 3. Steve McCarty's first year at WO-S was WO-S' first year in existence.Β  Previous to that he had done a stint as an assistant at LU and prior to that, 3 years as HC at South Park.

And let's be sure to make clear, Coach Thompson has made no indication that this is his last year of football.

Rumors of his imminent retirement have been circulating for at least 5 years now and I guess will continue to do so until he does actually does retire.

As for me, I hope those rumors have to circulate quite a while longer.