West Orange Stark 2021

WOS1986

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I think it goes like this. Valero decides not to build that new unit (thanks, Biden) and enrollment continues to drop. Or, the unit does get built and there is an influx of new students... but they aren’t Mustangs and aren’t about to buy into the work ethic over there. All good things come to an end, and the Mustangs championship days are, too. 

The new plant is already a wash out. Bet people were saying the same thing back in 92. How'd that work out for Celina and Sweetwater? Trust me, it wont be another 28 yr drought. But if so, I'll be there in 2044.

22 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

I asked this earlier  and never got a answer but why does wos have such low football numbers for a school there  size and with such winning tradition 

Not everyone can make that  Mustang mile. We had a oline men that transferred to LCM several years ago. Big kid and was good. He  went on to  play Juco

Mustang football is a deep tradition and a culture. The Program does not depend on transfers to succeed. It starts when they are young and continues through HS. Just this week, during the holiday's with the Mustangs out of the playoffs, I was driving down 15th st by the middle school and out in the field was about half a dozen youth, aged twelve or so, running cone drills. (No offense but when's the last time you saw that in BC)The mustangs may not make it to state anytime soon but that type of culture will make them competitive year after year.

1 hour ago, mat said:

Mustang football is a deep tradition and a culture. The Program does not depend on transfers to succeed. It starts when they are young and continues through HS. Just this week, during the holiday's with the Mustangs out of the playoffs, I was driving down 15th st by the middle school and out in the field was about half a dozen youth, aged twelve or so, running cone drills. (No offense but when's the last time you saw that in BC)The mustangs may not make it to state anytime soon but that type of culture will make them competitive year after year.

By any chance was that a Saturday or Sunday ? 

1 hour ago, mat said:

Good post.  The problem is it's like Chinese  trigonometry to some of our neighbors.  Like "they were doing what?" The tradition and mindset will always be there. Thank you Steve, Dan and Cornel.

I think the biggest question is who will be the next HC once Cornel retires? I’m sure many folks personal favorite is Toby Foreman. He grew up a Mustang as was an assistant coach for several years there. I remember him as the ball boy on the sidelines before he even got to high school. Also he relates to the kids very well. Question is would he be willing to leave Shoemaker where he has turned that program completely around? Will they promote someone already there Or will they hire someone outside of the Mustang blood line?

2 minutes ago, marshman said:

I think the biggest question is who will be the next HC once Cornel retires? I’m sure many folks personal favorite is Toby Foreman. He grew up a Mustang as was an assistant coach for several years there. I remember him as the ball boy on the sidelines before he even got to high school. Also he relates to the kids very well. Question is would he be willing to leave Shoemaker where he has turned that program completely around? Will they promote someone already there Or will they hire someone outside of the Mustang blood line?

This is always a concern. I know there are some assistants that could prove themselves as a head coach. But have they? Toby has. Shoemaker was ranked #24 before a 1 point OT loss to Harker Heights. Plus the former players he currently has on staff would be welcomed by mustang nation. 

For now it's not really an issue. 

WOS 2021

31 minutes ago, marshman said:

That will be a big question one day that could affect the tradition.

13 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

Maybe Toby Foreman likes where he is. Why not bring someone in who will add some new dimension to the the offensive side of the team.

No doubt. He likes where he is. As a matter of fact, WO-S had a chance to get him and chose Coach Thompson instead.   I’m sure he feels some kind of way and right now he is at a 6a program with lots more resources band better pay I’m Killeen.  Trust me, he’s fine at Shoemaker.  WO-S probably should’ve went with the young energetic coach when they had the chance...

57 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

IMO I would like to see a Black head coach, when coach T retires of course, we have never had one. IT is time!

Funny that you said that.  I remember having this same talk about the coaches Central used to usually hire.  We’d get the black coaches while the white coaches end up at West Brook for some reason...

3 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

That is interesting. I would recruit from outside Texas, i.e. Oklahoma or Arkansas there is strong football history up there. Sometimes change is good. People from Orange are complacent when it comes to some things. Familiarity feels right for them. We need to shake things up a bit.

Definitely not time to shake things up a bit!Why would you change anything when you’re still winning.If change occurs before coach T is ready you will see WOS be irrelevant and quick.

45 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Shouldn't the qualifications come before color?

If they hire a black HC watchout, if he only makes to hypothetically speaking a "State Semi appearance" as his early peak in his tenure they might wanna run him outta town 😁 

IYKYK.