Bands you couldn't live without

NetCat

On 11/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, UT alum said:

Burglar, or Hideaway - The Best of Freddie King (1993)

Got Burglar in yesterday, listened to it all day. I hadn't heard it in years, still really good. I'd forgotten how 70's it was! Lol. My favorite Freddie album is still the surfing one.

Great pick, thank you. 

On 11/22/2020 at 8:29 PM, NetCat said:

I think the board needs a new topic.

So, if you could only listen to 10 bands for the rest of your life who would it be? This includes work they have done with others. 

Here's mine

1. The Grateful Dead

2. Led Zeppelin 

3. Eric Clapton

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Pink Floyd

6. Muddy Waters

7. Howlin Wolf

8. The Beatles

9. Carlos Santana

10. Bob Dylan

I shy away from secular music these days.  Growing up though:  Jimi Hendrix.  I first heard him in 1966. on my transistor radio via the old soul station in Beaumont KJET.  The song: hey Joe.   I could not get into the psychildeic stuff like purple haze, not then.   I a said I would pick back up on Hendrix when I was older..  Came home from Silsbee HS  one day in September and Walter Cronkite told me he was dead.  I felt such a loss.   I'd go into detail, but it is  a long story.

I would of kicked the Hendrix obsession were it not for three songs:  machine guns,  who knows and  the star spangled banner @ Woodstock.   I've heard all his stuff, except some of the posthumous stuff.  I've read 3 or 4 of his biographies.   One I like so much I got the audio book version.  Here I was riding around listening to a Hendrix bio.

My soul bros and sis could not relate in Hi School so I went to the white guys, the long hairs,  the new 70s hippies.   They understood.  They turned me on, or I discovered myself Led Zappeling, Eric Clapton, Miles Davis.  The bios I read said Hendrix and miles were good friends.  So I  discovered Miles  that way.  

I saw. Eric Clapton and Freddy King in concert in 75.  Maybe 1e0 mo. later Freddy died.  Saw John Lee Hooker,  Albert King and some more.  Saw BB King and Carlos Santana on a twin bill in Petaluma Ca.  Saw Peter Tosh but not Bob Marley in  San Fran.  I listened to r&b and stuff early, but rock jazz blues all that started for me with Hendrix. It is 3 am or so and I don't feel up to editing, so please excuse my spelling.

24 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Damn good guitarist. Steve Vai, who played with Zappa, is extraordinary. For anyone interested, listen to The Attitude Song, Viv Woman and Bad Horsie. 

Plus 1 for Vai, very good player. First time I saw him was in that Crossroads movie with the Karate Kid in it lol.