Bands you couldn't live without

NetCat

4 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

What about John Lee Hooker for Blues? Always loved his music. 

Love Hooker, whatever album Boogie Chillin was on I used to play all the time. But one day I left it out and my son, who was 3 or 4 at the time, thought it was a cool Frisbee. Lost the album and a lamp that day. He still hates when I tell people that story 😂

20 hours ago, baddog said:

Stills and Young were in Buffalo Springfield. Crosby from the Byrds and Nash from the Hollies joined Stills to form Crosby,Stills, and Nash. Neil Young came aboard after their first album and recorded the album Deja Vu. The band Manassas had Stills and Dallas Taylor (from CSNY) so I took it upon myself to figure you like that sound so you must like those others bands who had the Stephen Stills influence.

Reasonable assumption. I do like Buffalo Springfield, and CSN was okay, CSNY great. I like Stills’ blues-centric style and Young, of course, is in a league of his own considering his songwriting abilities on top of his play.

19 hours ago, NetCat said:

I can't believe that no one has went with the original guy that sold his soul to the devil. Robert Johnson. 

Well, a playlist of his recordings would be incredibly brief. However, all of the guitarists of the later generations I’ve seen mentioned here stand on his shoulders.

19 hours ago, NetCat said:

Couldn't pick Hooker over Muddy or Wolf though. Better blues. I'd even go Little Walter before Hooker.

That album by Freddie King I recommended, Burglar, has a song called “Sugar Sweet”.  Freddie’s rhythm guitarist on that one - Eric Clapton. Both Freddie and Lightnin’ Hopkins had an influence on a bunch of the later blues guitar greats.

4 hours ago, UT alum said:

That album by Freddie King I recommended, Burglar, has a song called “Sugar Sweet”.  Freddie’s rhythm guitarist on that one - Eric Clapton. Both Freddie and Lightnin’ Hopkins had an influence on a bunch of the later blues guitar greats.

You ever listened to Albert King? Man could play! I could listen to the Born under a Bad Sign album all day. Highly recommend the set King did with Stevie Ray. 

4 hours ago, UT alum said:

I like both Lightnin and Freddie, just haven't picked either up in a while. That's why I wanted to know your favorite. I'm bought to remedy this situation. The record is in route. 

Saw Freddie King at the Black Cat club on hwy 90 going towards China. He was simply amazing. Have his Getting Ready album. Going Down was a big hit he recorded with Leon Russell on piano. The way we got to hear his music for the first time was from a square, floppy 45 rpm that had Going Down on one side. It came to a friend’s house through the mail as a promotional deal. We all loved it right off the bat. Went and bought the album as soon as I had enough money. Lol

28 minutes ago, baddog said:

Saw Freddie King at the Black Cat club on hwy 90 going towards China. He was simply amazing. Have his Getting Ready album. Going Down was a big hit he recorded with Leon Russell on piano. The way we got to hear his music for the first time was from a square, floppy 45 rpm that had Going Down on one side. It came to a friend’s house through the mail as a promotional deal. We all loved it right off the bat. Went and bought the album as soon as I had enough money. Lol

Y'all ever listen to the Mad Dogs and Englishmen album that Joe Cocker did? Leon Russell did piano for him on it. Great live album. 

13 hours ago, baddog said:

Leon Russell produced Freddie’s last album, Texas Cannonball on the Shelter label.

27 minutes ago, baddog said:

Wasn’t aware of that. The Black Cat club where I saw Freddie King was previously named Redman’s Lodge. Seems like Freddie died a short time later. He was a big man.

The Redman’s. Dang, that one had slipped into the recesses of my memory. Freddie died in 1976, around 45 yrs old. Some say cancer, I had remembered it as bleeding ulcers brought on by poor diet and stress of the road. The guy could sure play.

1 minute ago, UT alum said:

The Redman’s. Dang, that one had slipped into the recesses of my memory. Freddie died in 1976, around 45 yrs old. Some say cancer, I had remembered it as bleeding ulcers brought on by poor diet and stress of the road. The guy could sure play.

Like I said, he was a big guy. He played on stage with a bath towel around his neck due to profuse sweating. I know it’s hot under stage lighting, but this was a terrible sight to me. Thinking back now, it might have still been Redman’s when I saw him and became the Black Cat club later on. Man, that was a long time ago and my memory fails me sometimes.