Bands you couldn't live without

NetCat

37 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

There’s a country / bluegrass version of Gin and Juice by the Gourds that’s really good (and funny). Past that, I don’t do a bunch of country rap either. 

For sure.... the lead singer of the Gourds (Shinyribs) just played a music fest outside of Kountze about a month ago. He’s entertaining, no doubt. 

I think my problem with “country rap” is that most of it just isn’t any good. I say the same thing about the new hip-hop that the kids try to make me listen to these days. Freaking mumble rap. I really appreciated the staring outta Compton movie a couple of years ago because it introduced a lot of kids to genuine artists (even if you didn’t care for the format) from a few years back. “The game has evolved,” the kids say.... “no, you’re just listening to a bunch of pill heads with laptops and face tattoos who can’t come up with anything original.”

But back to the country rap... most of it is just fat white dudes rapping about moonshine, backroads, and mud.  Oh, and hard work, which I’m pretty sure none of them have ever done. 
No offense, but country rap is kinda like most contemporary Christian music. It’s just a bad music. 

47 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

There’s a country / bluegrass version of Gin and Juice by the Gourds that’s really good (and funny). Past that, I don’t do a bunch of country rap either. 

A crossover that you guys may enjoy.

ZZ Top covers DJ DMD's classic "25 Lighters"

I met DMD back in the late 90s. He had a record shop on gulfway in PA. Looked at us like we were crazy goin in there back then. But was actually real cool. Sold us some music and gave us some free shirts.

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oooooo.... Prince doing “while my guitar gently weeps” with Tom Petty and about 50 other people is a religious experience. 

Foo Fighters performing “Rock and Roll”

Kid Rock performing “Ramble On”

Lenny Kravitz performing “Whole Lotta Love”

Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson)with a full choir and orchestra performing “Stairway to Heaven”

These are truly the best performances of Led Zeppelin songs I have seen or heard. It was electrifying. Even got Barrack and Michelle dancing in their seats.

13 hours ago, UT alum said:

Hoffeinz Pavilion? You talkin’ some way-back machine stuff there. Saw Stephen Stills and Manassas, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Elton John, Humble Pie there. Way before Hector was a pup...

Manassas! Now there's a band I haven't heard in a while. 

31 minutes ago, baddog said:

Foo Fighters performing “Rock and Roll”

Kid Rock performing “Ramble On”

Lenny Kravitz performing “Whole Lotta Love”

Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson)with a full choir and orchestra performing “Stairway to Heaven”

These are truly the best performances of Led Zeppelin songs I have seen or heard. It was electrifying. Even got Barrack and Michelle dancing in their seats.

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oooooo.... Prince doing “while my guitar gently weeps” with Tom Petty and about 50 other people is a religious experience. 

Yes! That whole tribute to George was great. One of those kids was George's son. He's behind Tom Petty. 

1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

A crossover that you guys may enjoy.

ZZ Top covers DJ DMD's classic "25 Lighters"

I met DMD back in the late 90s. He had a record shop on gulfway in PA. Looked at us like we were crazy goin in there back then. But was actually real cool. Sold us some music and gave us some free shirts.

Had no idea this was a cover, that's awesome. 

Never been a concert person.   Went to one.  We took my daughter & her friend, when in Jr High, to a George Strait concert in Bmt.   I vividly remember we were in row 17, and I was the first man nearest the stage.  Sixteen rows of nothing but women.  Poor George, lol.  

On 11/22/2020 at 8:29 PM, NetCat said:

I think the board needs a new topic.

So, if you could only listen to 10 bands for the rest of your life who would it be? This includes work they have done with others. 

Here's mine

1. The Grateful Dead

2. Led Zeppelin 

3. Eric Clapton

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Pink Floyd

6. Muddy Waters

7. Howlin Wolf

8. The Beatles

9. Carlos Santana

10. Bob Dylan

What about John Lee Hooker for Blues? Always loved his music. 

3 hours ago, UT alum said:

Stills & Young

Stills and Young were in Buffalo Springfield. Crosby from the Byrds and Nash from the Hollies joined Stills to form Crosby,Stills, and Nash. Neil Young came aboard after their first album and recorded the album Deja Vu. The band Manassas had Stills and Dallas Taylor (from CSNY) so I took it upon myself to figure you like that sound so you must like those others bands who had the Stephen Stills influence.