Bands you couldn't live without

NetCat

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Rock - Temptations, Beach Boys, Four Tops, Beatles (prior to Yellow Submarine), Four Seasons, Everly Brothers

Crossover - John Denver, Roy Orbison, Mac Davis, Patsy Cline

Country - George Straight, Alan Jackson, Willie Nelson, Luke Bryan, Ronnie Milsap, Johnny Horton, Merle Haggard, Reba McEntire

I really liked you til you said Luke Bryan.  (Forehead slap)....he’s horrible.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Been around a long time.   Loved rock in my youth, but liked a little country.   Lost rock, for the most part, in the mid 60’s (Yellow Submarine & the drug culture took over).   I could’ve listed more rock.  Liked Sam Cooke, Supremes, Elvis.   Could understand the words.  They sang, not screamed.   Liked a few songs with a catchy beat, like Hot Stuff & Sweet Home Alabama.  Actually, today’s country would’ve been classified rock in my youth.  Rarely listen to music now, unless it’s an oldies station, rock or country.   As with all generations, still remember my fascination that my Parents didn’t like the music I did.  Guess my son and daughter didn’t understand me not liking their music (see Net Cats list, lol).  Here’s one from my day that the words show how far we’ve gone (downhill imo, but I’m an old foggy).

Dr. Hook did a great version of that song too. 

21 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Now were talking. Great idea. I can agree with half of your list. My ex ruined most of the beatles for me, but Ringo changed drumming forever and that has to be worth something. I can't narrow all the music I listen to down to 10 bands. So I'll focus on a few different genres...

Rap... UGK, Scarface, Eminem, 2pac, Bone Thugs. And I'm also a screw head

Classic rock... Led Zeppelin, Clapton, ZZ Top, Hendrix, Blind Faith (only one album but it is deep, check it out if you haven't heard it)

Modern rock... 311, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Weezer, Pearl Jam

Country... Willie Nelson, Randy Travis, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band 

Yea I know it's kinda all over the place. I've been listening to Phil Collins tonight at work. Just depends on the mood and the atmosphere. 

I’m learning “Can’t Find My Way Home” on my guitar. Started playing in July ‘19, took lessons 8 mos., love it. Really turned out to be a fortuitous happening: Been a great distraction during COVID times.

11 hours ago, baddog said:

1. Led Zeppelin......none better. Could play everything.

2. ZZ Top......Hendrix said Gibbons was the best guitarist. Have seen ZZ Top multiple times before they went “Nationwide”. Beaumont, Texas made ZZ Top popular and they were from Spring. They would play Knights of Columbus on Friday night and The Townhouse in Groves on Saturday night...i would go to both if I had the money.....$1.25.....lol

3. Aerosmith.....Joe Perry taught himself how to play guitar

4. Van Halen......love the energy

5. Audioslave........ “Like a Stone “ and “ Number One Zero “

6. Santana......”Abraxas” is a must have for any collection.

7. Cream......liked early Clapton....Clapton, Page, and Beck all played with the Yardbirds at one time or another. ( showing my age)

8. Deep Purple....”Machine Head” another must have.....Ritchie Blackmore is unbelievable.

9. AC/DC.....the four chord group, but gosh could he play those four chords. Watch the video for Thunderstruck live in Germany.

10. Alice Cooper......”Love it to Death” had some very great music mixed with Alice’s shock rock. Saw them at Hoffheinz Pavillion in Houston. Took my high school sweetheart. She loved it....very theatrical.

After number 1 & 2, you can mix and match any of the rest as there is no specific order. I still listen to them all. I am bery picky about country music as I don’t think they play country today. If I want country, I will listen to some Merle Haggard or George Strait. The only music station I can stand today is 92.5 fm.

Well, there are more, but you said ten, so there they are.

Hoffeinz Pavilion? You talkin’ some way-back machine stuff there. Saw Stephen Stills and Manassas, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Elton John, Humble Pie there. Way before Hector was a pup...

7 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I’m learning “Can’t Find My Way Home” on my guitar. Started playing in July ‘19, took lessons 8 mos., love it. Really turned out to be a fortuitous happening: Been a great distraction during COVID times.

That's a  good one. Lil bit of info I got from an old hippie... the album is a religious sermon. I've never been able to wrap my brain around it. I think he knew something that was lost in translation from the 60s. 

Good luck with the guitar. It's a great distraction. I have an electric drum set, which is great for not disturbing the peace. Put on headphones and slip into another reality. I've been trying to build my chops back after years of not playing. Use it or lose it... I almost lost it.

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

That's a  good one. Lil bit of info I got from an old hippie... the album is a religious sermon. I've never been able to wrap my brain around it. I think he knew something that was lost in translation from the 60s. 

Good luck with the guitar. It's a great distraction. I have an electric drum set, which is great for not disturbing the peace. Put on headphones and slip into another reality. I've been trying to build my chops back after years of not playing. Use it or lose it... I almost lost it.

Never too late if you got the want-to.

7 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

My SILaw retired in July and got a set of drums.   I hear him banging away next door.  He’s getting pretty good.  😂😄😂

42 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Hoffeinz Pavilion? You talkin’ some way-back machine stuff there. Saw Stephen Stills and Manassas, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Elton John, Humble Pie there. Way before Hector was a pup...

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer....went to the Cardinal’s Nest every morning before class. If you didn’t hear “Layla” and “From the Beginning”every morning, that guy was absent.

9 hours ago, NetCat said:

@PAMFAM10 @CardinalBacker who do y'all got? 

Man, that’s a toughie because my tastes have changed as I’ve aged. 
 I grew up in the era of the hair bands and then grunge/thrash. 
I saw Pantera several times back in the day and they WOULD have been my favorite, but I just can’t handle it anymore. I guess it’s my low T or something. 

Early Skynyrd is under appreciated. Motown soul (Marvin, Sam Cooke, Otis). I’ve seen John Mayer a few times and he is also under appreciated. George Strait will forever be the king of country. 

Lately I’ve been into a lot of alternative country I had a Blackberry Smoke phase, Cody Jinks phase, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, and Tyler Childers are just the kind of catalogs I’ve been through in the last few years. 

The Drive-by Truckers have a top notch catalog. If you check them out, you’ll be going through it for months. The last couple of albums are too political for my taste, but otherwise they are a fantastic representation of the way a lot of white educated southerners from my generation feel on social issues. They were a favorite of mine for years. 

This week I’m all over the new Koe Wetzel. The Turnpike Troubadours are another current favorite of mine. 

It doesn’t get any sweeter than the Blackwood Brothers backing up Elvis. 

I love music, lol. 

18 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Maybe you'd like Struggle Jennings, waylon's grandson. But I'd consider it more country rap.

Hey Drummer, look this one up when you get a chance . “There is no sunshine” by Jamey Johnson (country music), Shooter Jennings (crossover) and Twiggy Ramirez (Marilyn Manson and 9 inch nails)

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Hey Drummer, look this one up when you get a chance . “There is no sunshine” by Jamey Johnson (country music), Shooter Jennings (crossover) and Twiggy Ramirez (Marilyn Manson and 9 inch nails)

You got me. I'm officially an old man telling the kids to get off my lawn. Because all I heard was 13 mins of noise and robots farting (inside joke for my boy dj joe kurve)

3 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

You got me. I'm officially an old man telling the kids to get off my lawn. Because all I heard was 13 mins of noise and robots farting (inside joke for my boy dj joe kurve)

Yep. Lol. I didn’t say it was good. Your comment literally made me laugh out loud. Shooter Jennings is Waylon Jennings’ son (since you brought up Struggle Jennings). The flip side which is a dark version of “You are my sunshine” is good though. Dang, I can’t quit laughing. 😂