Crosby 54 Port Neches-Groves 7/FINAL

WOSgrad

2 minutes ago, Cougar239 said:

I do. Crosby has played better competition overall. Neither are playing in districts that are strong but Crosby IMO has a better defense than PAM. Plus Crosby's offense is above any PAM has faced all season.ย 

Forget who played who, it's about the matchup and yall don't matchup with us. Sorry but that's the truth.ย 

1 minute ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Forget who played who, it's about the matchup and yall don't matchup with us. Sorry but that's the truth.ย 

I've seenย PAM this year and they don't pass the eye test as a match up problem. Lee put 28 on em and Lee's best players ( their RB, QB and 1 decent Wr) not as good as what Crosby will put on the field. It's nothing elite I seen from PAM that jumps out as too much to handle.ย 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Crosby would have trouble with United. I wouldn't be worried at all.ย 

So PNG lost to Crosby by 40 after beating BU but BU would give Crosby trouble. Iโ€™m guessing matchups or improvement since the loss to Lee who had to opt up to yโ€™allโ€™s district to even make the playoffs?ย 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Crosby has beaten or would beat PNG, BH and GCM by at least 4tds butย somehow PAM hasnโ€™t beaten any of them by more than one score? PAMโ€™sย most impressive win to date is a 20 point win over 2nd place Lee who went 4-10 in our district last alignment. Thereโ€™s no value in even talking about hypotheticals being in two different divisions but I do think this version of Crosby would beat the current version of PAM by 20+, something like 42-21.ย 
ย 

I think Hightower is going to beat Paetow and yโ€™all will struggle with Paetow in bi-district. Everyone else in the district will probably lose by at least 20. Congrats to your team on a great season though. Manvel just beat #5 Foster worse than they did Crosby so I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s any hope of getting past them but good luck on a deep playoff run too๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

16 hours ago, BHFAN said:

BH has played both and Crosby is the better team hands down. If you think our district is down PAMโ€™s is way down.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Golden Triangle will say โ€œthat was a different PAM teamโ€, and โ€œthat was only our first two gamesโ€. ย It was PNG and BHโ€™s first two games also. ย 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:08 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Lol ok Mecca

The algorithms Maxpreps uses to rank teams has PAMโ€™s strength of schedule at only about half of Crosbyโ€™s. I would imagine thatโ€™s why they rank usย in front of yโ€™all even though youโ€™re undefeated?ย Thereโ€™s going to be a drastic difference in the teamsย Paetow has played in district for preparation come playoffs vs PAM whoโ€™s playing out of a district where two Baytown schools make the playoffs.ย 

14 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The algorithms Maxpreps uses to rank teams has PAMโ€™s strength of schedule at only about half of Crosbyโ€™s. I would imagine thatโ€™s why they rank usย in front of yโ€™all even though youโ€™re undefeated?ย Thereโ€™s going to be a drastic difference in the teamsย Paetow has played in district for preparation come playoffs vs PAM whoโ€™s playing out of a district where two Baytown schools make the playoffs.ย 

Crosby may have the tougher overall schedule but they played the worst team by far in Dayton. Anyone in PAM's district wouldย score more than the 24 points Crosby did against them. We'll see who's right come playoff time, I was hyped to watch PAM play Crosby in week 3 but covid had other ideas.ย 

1 hour ago, PAT409 said:

Crosby may have the tougher overall schedule but they played the worst team by far in Dayton. Anyone in PAM's district wouldย score more than the 24 points Crosby did against them. We'll see who's right come playoff time, I was hyped to watch PAM play Crosby in week 3 but covid had other ideas.ย 

I hear you but if you take the hypotheticals out of it, against the actual common opponents this season PAM has an average margin of victory 5ppg to Crosby's 33.5ppg. Not to mention PNG will most likely finish 3rd over here and has already beaten the 3rd place team from your district. Crosby was up 21-0 on Dayton at the half and just went through the motions in the second half. I don't think Prieto was trying to embarrass a first year coach at a struggling program? That being said, that 24-0 win over "the worst team by far" is actually Crosby's closest district game to date. I think another good indicator is PAM's averageย margin of victory being 17ppg in district play to Crosby's 33ppg in a tougher district.ย ย ย 

20 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I hear you but if you take the hypotheticals out of it, against the actual common opponents this season PAM has an average margin of victory 5ppg to Crosby's 33.5ppg. Not to mention PNG will most likely finish 3rd over here and has already beaten the 3rd place team from your district. Crosby was up 21-0 on Dayton at the half and just went through the motions in the second half. I don't think Prieto was trying to embarrass a first year coach at a struggling program? That being said, that 24-0 win over "the worst team by far" is actually Crosby's closest district game to date. I think another good indicator is PAM's averageย margin of victory being 17ppg in district play to Crosby's 33ppg in a tougher district.ย ย ย 

The only thing you mentioned in this statement wrong is PNG most likely finishing 3rd. Top 4 teams win this week then PNG will finish 4th no matter what

Since I'm thinking about it again, I think last week's game requires some perspective. In 2013, PNG had an "ok" team that I think finished 2nd in a particularly weak district. That year, Crosby went to the semifinals. PNG played Crosby in the first round of the playoffs and, though we were a mostly normal team and Crosby had its best team ever, PNG still managed to keep the score at 28-49.

This year PNG was "supposed" to have one of the best teams in the state, and Crosby is technically still rebuilding from the financial implosion of two years ago and is only in its second year with the coach, and PNG barely managed 14 points and got embarrassed on defense,ย with what is supposedly the best offense in the district, with what is actually the best QB in the area. The point in making the comparison: even Crosby's best team ever didn't blow us out the way we got blown out last week (Leaving aside the unanswered question as to where this year's Crosby team will rank -- If Crosby goes on to win state, I'll feel a lot better about this).

Something is not being done right. I'll avoid saying what should be done, because I don't know exactly what must be done to make a defense good. But will say that whatever should be done isn't being done, whatever that is.ย 

I'll say this. IMO the Jimmy's and Joe's aren't there on the Defensive front for the Injuns. Add to that a green DC and well you know the rest. Just an observation. Faircloth has had lots of turnover through the yrs staff wise. Is it that he's tough to work with or his assistants are that sought after. Tough job as a DC when you only get the Jimmy's and Joe's the OC culls...

ย 

11 minutes ago, outanup said:

I'll say this. IMO the Jimmy's and Joe's aren't there on the Defensive front for the Injuns. Add to that a green DC and well you know the rest. Just an observation. Faircloth has had lots of turnover through the yrs staff wise. Is it that he's tough to work with or his assistants are that sought after. Tough job as a DC when you only get the Jimmy's and Joe's the OC culls...

ย 

Right - - in all fairness to the new DC, I'm rooting for him, and hope he is able to pull it together next year. No one starts out as great as they will be. So hopefully they'll figure things out. It does seem all the size goes to the offensive line though. And someone needs to teach PNG how to open-field tackle. I even went back watched the video from PNG vs. Stephenville in the 1999 state championship and the open-field tackling with that (great) defense was abysmal (setting aside that Stephenville's QB was an athletic freak)ย in that game. A lot of feet planted andย hand grabbing. We tackled the same against Crosby. I acknowledge that defense is harder than offense, and everyone from the pros down to peewee is struggling with containing modern offenses. But at a minimum I'd like to seeย clean, one-on-one open field tackles when a player has that opportunity.

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Right - - in all fairness to the new DC, I'm rooting for him, and hope he is able to pull it together next year. No one starts out as great as they will be. So hopefully they'll figure things out. It does seem all the size goes to the offensive line though. And someone needs to teach PNG how to open-field tackle. I even went back watched the video from PNG vs. Stephenville in the 1999 state championship and the open-field tackling with that (great) defense was abysmal (setting aside that Stephenville's QB was an athletic freak)ย in that game. A lot of feet planted andย hand grabbing. We tackled the same against Crosby. I acknowledge that defense is harder than offense, and everyone from the pros down to peewee is struggling with containing modern offenses. But at a minimum I'd like to seeย clean, one-on-one open field tackles when a player has that opportunity.

Everybody is blaming the defense. ย The PNG offense only scored 7 points until late in the game when we had twos in. ย 

7 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Donโ€™t forget to mention to who that stephenville coach was to really start a conversation who out coached Burnett. ย No other than Art Briles. ย That star qb was Kendall Briles which is the OC at Arkansas. ย  PNG also that year had one of the greatest defensive player in their history at S in the late Derek Gohlke, ย which basically won the game with that hit against Lamarque. ย He put fear into those cougars. ย Iโ€™d take that penalty every time if one these current players did that

9 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Since I'm thinking about it again, I think last week's game requires some perspective. In 2013, PNG had an "ok" team that I think finished 2nd in a particularly weak district. That year, Crosby went to the semifinals. PNG played Crosby in the first round of the playoffs and, though we were a mostly normal team and Crosby had its best team ever, PNG still managed to keep the score at 28-49.

This year PNG was "supposed" to have one of the best teams in the state, and Crosby is technically still rebuilding from the financial implosion of two years ago and is only in its second year with the coach, and PNG barely managed 14 points and got embarrassed on defense,ย with what is supposedly the best offense in the district, with what is actually the best QB in the area. The point in making the comparison: even Crosby's best team ever didn't blow us out the way we got blown out last week (Leaving aside the unanswered question as to where this year's Crosby team will rank -- If Crosby goes on to win state, I'll feel a lot better about this).

Something is not being done right. I'll avoid saying what should be done, because I don't know exactly what must be done to make a defense good. But will say that whatever should be done isn't being done, whatever that is.ย 

ย Crosby went to the semifinals in โ€˜14. The โ€˜13 team lost in the second round to Elgin by like 30. Great offense but that teamโ€™s defense was borderline awful. In the bi-district game youโ€™re taking about I want to say Crosby was up 42-14ย after Walter scored early in the 4th quarter and was pulled. In โ€˜14 Crosby had probably had the best defense in the entire region, gave up 19ppg with 10 playoff teams on the schedule. Offense was very average for a Crosby team.ย Kind of negates your whole post.ย 
ย 

To one of your points though, youโ€™re right about Crosby still rebuilding. Have to give credit to the second year coach who is in prime position to win his first undefeated district championship and run off 10 consecutive victories for only the 2nd time in school history. Not to mention heโ€™s winning this yearโ€™s district games by an average of 30+

11 hours ago, underdogs1040 said:

The only thing you mentioned in this statement wrong is PNG most likely finishing 3rd. Top 4 teams win this week then PNG will finish 4th no matter what

True, I was thinking head to head for the third spot since BH would get 2nd in point differential. I see itโ€™s point differential 2-4. Puts even more emphasis on our 4th place team beating their third.ย 

15 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Crosby was ranked #10 to in the state to start the year and Barbers Hill #9.ย 

11 hours ago, Davidp0403 said:

Donโ€™t forget to mention to who that stephenville coach was to really start a conversation who out coached Burnett. ย No other than Art Briles. ย That star qb was Kendall Briles which is the OC at Arkansas. ย  PNG also that year had one of the greatest defensive player in their history at S in the late Derek Gohlke, ย which basically won the game with that hit against Lamarque. ย He put fear into those cougars. ย Iโ€™d take that penalty every time if one these current players did that

Wasnโ€™t thereย more than one Gohlke boys that played @ PNG? Feel like I remember multiple through the years of MCM.