Hamshire-Fannett 75 West Orange-Stark 47/FINAL

WOSgrad

6 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HJ has better size down low with a 3 good SF. HF has a better stable of guards. HJ has one PG and two solid guards. HF has 2 PGs who can score, 3 SGs, and two solid forwards. The bench as far as guards who can contribute on and off the ball is where HF has the advantage. HJ has the half court size advantage. The game will be a chess match, that's why I say it will come down to coaching. The thing is Rideaux out coached Davis in the last meeting last year who had the far better team. He doesn't have that advantage this year. They're about equal

I guess everyone has an opinion about players and coaches . If what you say is true HJ has nearly everyone back from last year. One of their best players missed the game at HF  so they should have him this year. Do you think HF made great strides in improving or do you think HJ regressed? I think Coach Davis is as good as there is in the area making in game adjustments. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Lol the kid at Huffman is a solid player, he's no Braylon Bush by far 🤣. Remember this Huffman team lost to a young inexperienced HF team in the playoffs last year. He only scored 5pts in that game. The kid who locked him down is still at HF folks

That's not what you stated.

You said any team that has one player score 50% of it's points is not a good team. You didn't give any caveat to who the player could or would be. Silsbee had a player score 50% of it's points on a regular basis. So therefore by your standard, they were not a good team.

12 hours ago, whsalum said:

I guess everyone has an opinion about players and coaches . If what you say is true HJ has nearly everyone back from last year. One of their best players missed the game at HF  so they should have him this year. Do you think HF made great strides in improving or do you think HJ regressed? I think Coach Davis is as good as there is in the area making in game adjustments. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

HF has everyone from last year back and when they beat HJ last year their best player wasn't even on varsity due to UIL rules.  HJ was still better then HF last year without RJ due to experience. That experience is bull and void this year as HF now has that same experience. HJ has the size on the inside which is their advantage, HF advantage is at the guard positions. They just simply have more that can play both ways. It will be a game of who can make the other team play their game. I think they will split personally 

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That's not what you stated.

You said any team that has one player score 50% of it's points is not a good team. You didn't give any caveat to who the player could or would be. Silsbee had a player score 50% of it's points on a regular basis. So therefore by your standard, they were not a good team.

No Silsbee by no means was a good team last year. They just had a D1 player and some athletes to play defense. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal 1 said:

No Silsbee by no means was a good team last year. They just had a D1 player and some athletes to play defense. 

So Silsbee, who reached the regional tourney after winning the district that your beloved coach coaches in, was not a good team. Is that what you are saying?

Never heard of a team that wasn't good to win district and make regional tourney. That's a new one for me.

Might want to check your credibility.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So Silsbee, who reached the regional tourney after winning the district that your beloved coach coaches in, was not a good team. Is that what you are saying?

Never heard of a team that wasn't good to win district and make regional tourney. That's a new one for me.

I hate to pick specks with ya but they were Co-Champs and won the seeding game. They had a good club and a great player 

1 hour ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HF has everyone from last year back and when they beat HJ last year their best player wasn't even on varsity due to UIL rules.  HJ was still better then HF last year without RJ due to experience. That experience is bull and void this year as HF now has that same experience. HJ has the size on the inside which is their advantage, HF advantage is at the guard positions. They just simply have more that can play both ways. It will be a game of who can make the other team play their game. I think they will split personally 

So if HJ returns almost everyone they didn’t gain experience? The game at HF where HJ played without the player some think is their best came down to a put back at the buzzer. The game was actually decided on a technical foul call where HJ had controlled a rebound late. The player you mentioned on the JV is a good player but it’s worth mentioning that HJ won the JV district. I look forward to the games this year. 

7 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Silsbee had a transcendent player at the 4A level.  Like an all decade or better type player.  Put some athletes around that and you should make the regional tournament 

14 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Silsbee had a transcendent player at the 4A level.  Like an all decade or better type player.  Put some athletes around that and you should make the regional tournament 

Especially if you throw McCain and Adam’s around him. Lol. That  kind of talent  doesn’t  come around very often especially for a 4A school. Expectations are sometimes too high when the talent is gone. Silsbee will be fine. Never remember a year when they weren’t competitive....I have old newspaper articles from 1927 about them.  I don’t remember that year but just read about it. Lol

15 hours ago, TxHoops said:

My point was Cardinal making a very general statement about any team with a player scoring 50% or more of it's points is not a good team.

If he had stated a team in particular, then maybe I could understand.

He still stated that Silsbee was not a good team last year. I disagree.

8 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My point was Cardinal making a very general statement about any team with a player scoring 50% or more of it's points is not a good team.

If he had stated a team in particular, then maybe I could understand.

He still stated that Silsbee was not a good team last year. I disagree.

Huffman seems like it is the areas most hated on team. I mean they aren’t as well coached as HF and Lumberton but I’m not sure they deserve the hate.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

One could argue (correctly) that he got bounced from the playoffs (with his best team to date) by an inferior team with a coach some on here truly love to hate.  He does a nice job.  I would tap the brakes on superlatives above that. 

Last years Huffman team I don’t think was anywhere near their best. They had a very good record I think in part to their coaches abilities. I’ve watched the guy for years and always thought he got everything out of his club they had to give and then some. He’s one of the local coaches that can take his team and beat ya or he could take your team and beat ya. I’d have to say the Huffman team who lost to Silsbee a few years ago that had the good post player was their best that I’ve seen.

7 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Last years Huffman team I don’t think was anywhere near their best. They had a very good record I think in part to their coaches abilities. I’ve watched the guy for years and always thought he got everything out of his club they had to give and then some. He’s one of the local coaches that can take his team and beat ya or he could take your team and beat ya. I’d have to say the Huffman team who lost to Silsbee a few years ago that had the good post player was their best that I’ve seen.

I agree. That team was hands down better than last year's team.

Also the team he had with Zach Dumas was better than last year's.

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Ok.  His winningest team*

*but nowhere “near his best team”*. Lol

Not real sure but I don’t think his team that lost to Silsbee lost but 3 games that year. I know they had two good little shooters and a solid post player. That was the best club I’ve seen at Huffman in recent years.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:31 PM, whsalum said:

Huffman has one of the best coaches in the area. He consistently produces good teams every year! 

Huffman was the best team in a trash basketball district. Not taking away from the coach's accomplishments, but they don't play anyone even in pre-district games. Their record is always padded. This year they have yet to play anyone tough at all. HJ and HF both are playing top 5A and 6A schools who are traditional basketball powerhouses. Huffman not playing anyone on that level at all. When district comes around they will get smashed by HJ and HF period simply due to not playing tough games. HF has Memorial, Nederland, and Stafford as their measuring sticks. HJ has the same level of competition. Huffman's toughest game so far was New Caney that they won on by 1 point. I didn't even know New Caney had a legit program. 

12 hours ago, TxHoops said:

One could argue (correctly) that he got bounced from the playoffs (with his best team to date) by an inferior team with a coach some on here truly love to hate.  He does a nice job.  I would tap the brakes on superlatives above that. 

He got out coached period. Huffman had the better team by far last year and got exposed as a one trick pony. HF is much better this year and are deeper. It won't even be close this go round and the HJ game will be the same. 

40 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Huffman was the best team in a trash basketball district. Not taking away from the coach's accomplishments, but they don't play anyone even in pre-district games. Their record is always padded. This year they have yet to play anyone tough at all. HJ and HF both are playing top 5A and 6A schools who are traditional basketball powerhouses. Huffman not playing anyone on that level at all. When district comes around they will get smashed by HJ and HF period simply due to not playing tough games. HF has Memorial, Nederland, and Stafford as their measuring sticks. HJ has the same level of competition. Huffman's toughest game so far was New Caney that they won on by 1 point. I didn't even know New Caney had a legit program. 

All this may be true but that still doesn’t change the fact that the Huffman coach is a good one. He can’t control who is in his district. They normally came to the Hardin Jefferson Marathon every year and played some pretty good teams there.