Hardin Jefferson 94 Silsbee 62/FINAL

MikelSR

• WOSgrad changed the title to Hardin Jefferson 94 Silsbee 62/FINAL
13 minutes ago, Hooohead.com said:

They relied on those Football players also....Jones was a football player that came late as well as Barnes and those two were game changers for them those 2 years...

They were Role players. The main guns were the big 4.  Straight basketball, McCain, Adams, Bush, and Landon Tyler.  

1 minute ago, Hooohead.com said:

Heard he wasnt playing then talked back into playing...the question is his heart into playing? 

Last I heard he was playing. Unless something has changed.

He was never really in good shape last year and didn't play much, which can be frustrating for a kid.

I think he can make an impact this year though.

Ok yes the core of those two state championships were those 4 players but that second  team really only played 7 or 8 players and those other players were mainly Tre Lowe, Chris Martin and Kalon Barnes all big parts of the football team and on the court.  That first team had basically two A teams and big parts of those were Bruce Newton, Michael McCain, Calvin Tyler,  Willie Jones, Chris Martin, and Kalon Barnes.  So i would say a pretty good part of both of those teams were on the football field as well. Those teams had a core that could beat most anyone by themselves but definitely werent near the same without those football players.

I’ve been saying this. I understand silsbee has guys playing football, but they never stood a chance. Isn’t surprising to see what Sig can do without his talent. Davis is obviously superior when it comes to getting the most out of his guys. Y’all can make as many excuses as y’all want but we all saw what happened tonight. Don’t @ me.   

47 minutes ago, Hooohead.com said:

Without Jones you may not win the 1st one...he was big in regionals leading to State....IJS

This is very true when you consider Devin didn't play after the incident in LCM that year.

Wish we could have had him all four years. That Dallas Lincoln game in the finals might have went a little different if we had.

From Coach Clay Davis:

This is the hidden content, please

The Hawks got on the winning track tonight with a 94-62 win over Silsbee. I need to give props to Coach Sigler and his staff and team. They have 9-10 varsity players still in football. There are a lot of programs that would’ve cancelled the game. Coach Sigler and his group came over and battled. I’ve been in that situation in Tatum and Jasper and we did the same thing. I have a ton of respect for guys who take what they have and go play no matter what. The Hawks are now 1-1 on the season and will host Lufkin on Saturday in a varsity only double header with our girls.. Girls at 11:30 am and boys at 1 pm.

I've been following basketball, high school basketball, Silsbee basketball for at least 55 years.  I have yet to see a coach, even some considered 'a good coach' (for some that's a euphemism for deeper & uglier issues) take a team lacking in talent to anywhere significant.  Good coaches and teams with lots of talent generally gravitate together, like beans and rice, BBQ & potatoe salad.  It just works that way. Would to goodness  basketball forums and people who post to basketball forums who actually know basketball worked that way, but that is not always the case.  Enough of that.

I've seen or heard of a lot of good Silsbee coaches: Dan Montgomery, Fred Williams, Travis Williams, coach Green, Sigler.  They were all good coaches IMO. Coach Sigler won two state championships.  Is he the best coach of them all?  Maybe, maybe not.  As someone posted his record speaks for itself.

Also I've experienced Silsbee basketball teams being on the short end of some hard defeats and downright blowouts.  They got blown out by FB Bush in the FB tournament. Madison blew them off the court in a playoff warm up game.  Some big school beat em bad in the SA tournament.  Wagner did it too.  It BEs that way from time to time.  Sometimes you have the shotgun, other times you're dodging the pellets, figuratively speaking.

I drove out to Humble/Atascosita and watched HJ play Yates in a playoff game a few years ago.  'Good coaching' lasted about a half a quarter.  After that I couldn't hear myself think.  The Yates fans were making too much noise.  Stuff like that happens in hs basketball, or any basketball.

There's an often quoted bible verse that is really not a bible verse: This too shall pass.

3 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

This is very true when you consider Devin didn't play after the incident in LCM that year.

Wish we could have had him all four years. That Dallas Lincoln game in the finals might have went a little different if we had.

Bush too would of made a difference in that game, but he was in the 8th grade.

Everyone knew that Silsbee would be a little down this year, even when they get all their players in a couple of weeks. But you couple that with the fact that Silsbee is missing anywhere from 8-10 varsity players right now, this result was to be expected. I spoke with Coach Davis a month or so ago about this game and he had a good idea about this game. He told me he really wished they could have played later in the season but this was really the only time he and Joe could get a date to play. It is what it is.

Personally, I think HJ has the better team even when Silsbee has all their players and would win that game as well. Just not in the fashion they did last night. Most folks with any knowledge of the game would know this.

These are not excuses, just facts. And if one chooses to make the result a reflection on the coaching abilities of the two men, so be it. But last night wasn't a fair fight and it showed.

I have been saying it for a few months now, better get your licks in on Silsbee this year while you can. Starting next year, things will be back to Silsbee dominance again.

Did any of the kids who were on the really good junior high team play last night for Silsbee ? This was typical early season basketball, you have to read a lot more than the box score to get the total picture. The one thing that’s overlooked is the caliber of players that HJ was missing. Some underclass men for both schools got some solid minutes last night. With the elimination of the tournaments this year that’s a plus no matter the score.

Just now, whsalum said:

Did any of the kids who were on the really good junior high team play last night for Silsbee ? This was typical early season basketball, you have to read a lot more than the box score to get the total picture. The one thing that’s overlooked is the caliber of players that HJ was missing. Some underclass men for both schools got some solid minutes last night. With the elimination of the tournaments this year that’s a plus no matter the score.

Harris kid played.

Miller still out with injury. Others playing football.