Triangle Being Considered For Continental Baseball Team

Triangle being considered for Continental Baseball League team

DALLAS — The Golden Triangle is one of 42 areas under consideration as a candidate for the start of a new professional independent baseball league called the Continental Baseball League.

League Chief Executive Officer and President Ron Baron of Dallas made the annoucement to The News on Monday afternoon. The league indicated in a release that it intended to field a minimum of six to 10 teams with a 13-week, 80-game schedule beginning next summer, starting on Memorial Day.

Forty-two cities are under consideration from eight southwest and midwest states, including 17 areas in Texas. All cities under consideration will have populations in the range of 80,000 to 190,000 residents and are areas located more than 25 miles from a current major- or minor-league city.

The CBL also is said to be targeting cities in Colorado, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Between now and the end of the year, Baron and three business associates plan to meet with groups from targeted communities to determine which cities will be included in the initial CBL campaign.

Baron brings more than 20 years of experience in sports law and counseling to this endeavor. He founded the Center for Sports Law and Risk Management, Inc., in Dallas in 1988. His business partners include former major league outfielder Jay Johnstone, former major league executive Bob Ibach and league marketing director Laura Kath.

Baron indicated the price to own a CBL franchise would be $100,000 per team with player payrolls not exceeding $120,000 per season. No player would make more than $10,000 and would earn less than $4,000.

Baron’s marketing research has aimed its interest in areas with strong youth, high school and junior college baseball programs, as well as areas with strong university programs.

“I want to have a league where dads and moms can take their children out for an evening and make it affordable so that they can come back again and again during the summer,†the 48-year-old Baron was quoted as saying in a release. “You look around at the big league parks and you’re lucky if you can attend one game each summer. Families just can’t watch baseball anymore like we could when I was a kid.â€

Suggested ticket prices will range from $5 to $12 and fans reportedly will find most concession items considerably lower than those at most major- and minor-league ballparks today.

Other Texas areas under consideration are Tyler-Longview, Bryan-College Station, Waco, Abilene, Galveston-Clear Lake, Texarkana, Killeen-Temple, Odessa, The Woodlands-Kingwood, Sugar Land-Fort Bend County, Denison-Sherman, Kerrville, New Braunfels, Greenville and Garland.

I don't think that they're talking about Beaumont/Port Arthur... There is a area in Dallas (Denton area?) that is considered the Golden Triangle to Dallas/Ft Worth natives.. If this article were written anywhere else other than Dallas, i'd say it was talking about us, but I'm 99.99% positive that this is in reference to the "Golden Triangle" area of Dallas.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Kourt1
    Newest Member
    Kourt1