PNG v. Crosby 2020

Rez Ipsa

On 11/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think if you’re a Crosby fan this is the type spread you want to see against this version of PNG. Anything closer than three tds and you probably start to feel less confident about the looming 2nd round matchup with what will most likely be an 11-0 Texas High. 

I think it's like 42-0 42-7 at half and we do what we've been doing saving Branch and the others in second half. 

Texas High is going to be a rough challenge no matter what. 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think if you’re a Crosby fan this is the type spread you want to see against this version of PNG. Anything closer than three tds and you probably start to feel less confident about the looming 2nd round matchup with what will most likely be an 11-0 Texas High. 

2nd round we would get the #2 out of Texas High's district not Texas high. Round 3 we get Marshall. Regardless it's not a good area of the bracket to be in and R3 for 5AD2 seems like a gauntlet. 

10 hours ago, WR2016 said:

A whole lot of smack talking here...this could be really funny late Friday night. You better hope your coogs don’t look past this one is all I’m going to say.  :)  Good luck. 

Nah, BH, PNG, and Nederland are the games Crosby has circled every year because for these last years those have been the teams that decided who's in and who's out in the district. When we had Manvel and FB Marshall sitting waiting in round 1 that 2-3 matchup mattered even more. 

Cougars aren't thinking they have this they need to play solid football but so far they've been focused and disciplined even in a potential let down game after the big win over BH. 

21 hours ago, NDNation said:

I think Crosby would be the only team in this district with any hope of getting past FBM. Probably won't happen though.

While I think that's true there no guarantee we can beat that second round opponent at this point. I mean they will likely only have one loss to Texas high coming into the second round. Second Round is going to be super tough for anyone who makes it out of round 1 in our district. 

Figure I'll drop a prediction. I HATE to say this, but in the spirit of objectivity, it doesn't look good for PNG. I honestly know nothing about Crosby, other than watching them against Barbers Hill, and that game is a bad sample since BH played like eagles with clipped wings or some other bad trouble that eagles can get themselves into. I don't know a lot about eagles, so I'm already regretting that joke. In any case, you don't need to know anything at all about Crosby to predict this game. PNG has been the most consistent team in the area in one aspect: An absolutely mortifying inability to make plays at the line or make open field tackles. This weakness has been particularly clear against running QBs. Every team we've played, no matter how good or bad, has been able to take advantage of it. So if Crosby is AT ALL competent at running faster than a dead snail on the bottom of a broken wheelchair, PNG is going to struggle all night. I HATE predicting a PNG loss against the Mecca. I'm hoping Faircloth got the ipad I placed in the mail this week because we are going to need all the help we can get. 

That being said, I in no way think Crosby is unbeatable. Crosby is solid. I think (again, based solely on what I observed against BH) they are a third-round team with a high seed, 2nd round with a low seed. PNG can win this game. I don't look at PNG as a bad team at all. They have played well in every game, and the only truly bad performance, even with the bad defense, was the implosion against BH. PNG has shown flashes of real potential and talent all season, and there is nothing to say it won't come together tonight. Remember the 2010 season, when Central marched into the Reservation for the last game of the season, one game away from an undefeated district championship -- In that season PNG had an awful defense and an incredible offense (that was a year, I should add, PNG dominated Crosby in the pre-season). PNG crushed Central and went to the third round, only to lose by 10 points against Manvel. So we could surprise people tonight, is my only point. We still have the best QB in the area, and a full stable of dangerous runningbacks and receivers. GO Indians. 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Figure I'll drop a prediction. I HATE to say this, but in the spirit of objectivity, it doesn't look good for PNG. I honestly know nothing about Crosby, other than watching them against Barbers Hill, and that game is a bad sample since BH played like eagles with clipped wings or some other bad trouble that eagles can get themselves into. I don't know a lot about eagles, so I'm already regretting that joke. In any case, you don't need to know anything at all about Crosby to predict this game. PNG has been the most consistent team in the area in one aspect: An absolutely mortifying inability to make plays at the line or make open field tackles. This weakness has been particularly clear against running QBs. Every team we've played, no matter how good or bad, has been able to take advantage of it. So if Crosby is AT ALL competent at running faster than a dead snail on the bottom of a broken wheelchair, PNG is going to struggle all night. I HATE predicting a PNG loss against the Mecca. I'm hoping Faircloth got the ipad I placed in the mail this week because we are going to need all the help we can get. 

That being said, I in no way think Crosby is unbeatable. Crosby is solid. I think (again, based solely on what I observed against BH) they are a third-round team with a high seed, 2nd round with a low seed. PNG can win this game. I don't look at PNG as a bad team at all. They have played well in every game, and the only truly bad performance, even with the bad defense, was the implosion against BH. PNG has shown flashes of real potential and talent all season, and there is nothing to say it won't come together tonight. Remember the 2010 season, when Central marched into the Reservation for the last game of the season, one game away from an undefeated district championship -- In that season PNG had an awful defense and an incredible offense (that was a year, I should add, PNG dominated Crosby in the pre-season). PNG crushed Central and went to the third round, only to lose by 10 points against Manvel. So we could surprise people tonight, is my only point. We still have the best QB in the area, and a full stable of dangerous runningbacks and receivers. GO Indians. 

Good post. Except for the part about “We still have the best QB in the area”. I just don’t see it.