Livingston 60 Leggett 44/FINAL

WOSgrad

• WOSgrad changed the title to Livingston 60 Leggett 44/FINAL
On 11/16/2020 at 10:37 AM, TrojanWarrior08 said:

For Leggett to play y'all close like this there's a reason why this game was on y'all schedule

Four of the the five starters were playing football. It was basically JV/Frosh Livingston.

Its a no win situation. If you don't win by enough, you're not good and it generates dumb comments. If you blow them out, then why are you playing them?

Trinity, Leggett, Onalaska and Goodrich shouldn't be on this team's schedule. 

47 minutes ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

Four of the the five starters were playing football. It was basically JV/Frosh Livingston.

Its a no win situation. If you don't win by enough, you're not good and it generates dumb comments. If you blow them out, then why are you playing them?

Trinity, Leggett, Onalaska and Goodrich shouldn't be on this team's schedule. 

But the final score doesn't reflect on how really close this game was... Here you have a highly ranked 1A team in Leggett vs. a slightly decent team in 4A (Livingston) who will probably place 4th in district and Leggett still kept the game close and could have won then what... (I don't expect them to beat HF, HJ, or Huffman in district at all and from the looks of things if Shepherd keeps winning Livingston will be on the outside looking in.) This is not the Lions of the past so if the head coach had scheduled "soft teams" then so be it. And just by looking at the Lions' schedule y'all may need those early wins in non-district y'all may compete with Jasper but definitely losing to Lufkin and Coldspring and as for district goes I've already stated that but y'all may split the Shepherd series.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, TrojanWarrior08 said:

But the final score doesn't reflect on how really close this game was... Here you have a highly ranked 1A team in Leggett vs. a slightly decent team in 4A (Livingston) who will probably place 4th in district and Leggett still kept the game close and could have won then what... (I don't expect them to beat HF, HJ, or Huffman in district at all and from the looks of things if Shepherd keeps winning Livingston will be on the outside looking in.) This is not the Lions of the past so if the head coach had scheduled "soft teams" then so be it. And just by looking at the Lions' schedule y'all may need those early wins in non-district y'all may compete with Jasper but definitely losing to Lufkin and Coldspring and as for district goes I've already stated that but y'all may split the Shepherd series.

We're beating Coldspring. 

Lufkin will be tricky but is winnable. Im glad New Caney and Porter are on the schedule.

Shepherd will lose both games to Livingston. Probably badly. They ain't want nothing in football and they definitely don't want none in basketball.

Livingston is doing no worse than second in district, depending on tie breakers.

Again, 4 out of 5 starters and a few key bench players were playing football. If those guys were there, it would have looked like the game in Trinity. 

No way a 4A school should be scheduling a UIL 1A school for a game unless Kendrick Perkins or Stephen Jackson is suiting up for them. Leggett is awesome for 1A, but only one kid on their team would be starting for an average 4A team.

I don't say this to be mean; I only think 2 -3 of our kids could start on a good 5A team and maybe just  one on a 6A team. Level of competition is just higher.

I hated these types of games when I was a student, when I was a sports reporter and I hate it as a parent/spectator.

I've gone as far to say I hated that West Brook was forced to play Central and Ozen in football because it wasted games the Bruins could have used to get ready for district.

I'm not from the area, so I don't care that the other polk county schools want to play Livingston. They're too small and those schools should probably be absorbed into Livingston. it would give those children better facilities, more class options and better opportunities.

2 hours ago, Lions Pride 2021 said:

Lufkin will be tricky but is winnable. Im glad New Caney and Porter are on the schedule.

Shepherd will lose both games to Livingston. Probably badly. They ain't want nothing in football and they definitely don't want none in basketball.

Livingston is doing no worse than second in district, depending on tie breakers.

Again, 4 out of 5 starters and a few key bench players were playing football. If those guys were there, it would have looked like the game in Trinity. 

No way a 4A school should be scheduling a UIL 1A school for a game unless Kendrick Perkins or Stephen Jackson is suiting up for them. Leggett is awesome for 1A, but only one kid on their team would be starting for an average 4A team.

I don't say this to be mean; I only think 2 -3 of our kids could start on a good 5A team and maybe just  one on a 6A team. Level of competition is just higher.

I hated these types of games when I was a student, when I was a sports reporter and I hate it as a parent/spectator.

I've gone as far to say I hated that West Brook was forced to play Central and Ozen in football because it wasted games the Bruins could have used to get ready for district.

I'm not from the area, so I don't care that the other polk county schools want to play Livingston. They're too small and those schools should probably be absorbed into Livingston. it would give those children better facilities, more class options and better opportunities.

Livingston finished 4th in a district that has gotten considerably better due to UIL realignment. Looks like they have a lot of the same players returning. I don’t see them finishing any better than 4th and this will be a struggle.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

We're beating Coldspring

No sir your not... We have most of our guys coming back plus a few good young ones as well that can fill up those roles and we're already expected to go back to state

On 11/25/2020 at 5:17 AM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

So I have been debating whether to reply to this is not. 

You state that no way a 4a school should be scheduling a 1A school unless they have a star play. Ok so explain 2017. Silsbee won state in 4A. They beat Argyle in the semifinals by one point. Lipan a little ole 1A school played that same Argyle team and won by five. Not a single Lipan player played Division One basketball on that team. There was no star player. Next year Lipan beat multiple 4A and 5A teams again no star player. Brock is next door. They are a small 3A school. Almost every year they are beating 4A and 5A schools as well. 

Then look at Silsbee itself by your logic shouldn't be playing with and beating Yates because Silsbee has 800 students while Yates is in Houston ISD, which has a rule that you can start at any high school and not have to sit out a year. That means 20,000 students that Yates might have available. Not just Yates but all of those 6A schools they beat the previous years. They did not have stars like Kendrick Perkins or Stephen Jackson. Yes they might end up with 1 NBA player and 1 NFL player on their rosters those years, but no one was recruited to Kentucky or even a Big 12 school for basketball. They had great players. Talented players, but no one star. Only last year could you say that really. Just a really good team.

I have seen ranked 1A teams almost beat ranked 5A teams. Played them within 10 points. That 1A team had 5 good players in the same grade that all grew up together. They had 1 player who scored about 25 a game, but that night she had the flu. It was still a close game. There are certain 1A schools (even 2A with Big Sandy) that can play with 4A, 5A and some 6A. Size doesn't always matter. Year in and Year out they are good. 

Leggett is one of those schools. They do not play football. They run cross country and play basketball. They are proud. To sit here and say Livingston (with a lot of players still in football) should not be playing a school like Leggett is disrespectful and a little arrogant. They have been practicing all year with everyone. They are good every year. The past few years even if Livingston was at full strength in December, Leggett probably would have won. They are one of those schools that you respect the tradition. 

I end my rant with one last note to demonstrate Leggett and 1A tradition. Goodrich and Leggett close rivals. Goodrich for four years had Adrian McGowen. She graduated. Leggett then had Brittney Jefferson. Two of the best players in state history played on both sides of Livingston. They can play ball in those towns both boys and girls. So to say no way Livingston should be scheduling Leggett just because they are 1A does not hold up.

1 hour ago, RaiderRed30 said:

So I have been debating whether to reply to this is not. 

You state that no way a 4a school should be scheduling a 1A school unless they have a star play. Ok so explain 2017. Silsbee won state in 4A. They beat Argyle in the semifinals by one point. Lipan a little ole 1A school played that same Argyle team and won by five. Not a single Lipan player played Division One basketball on that team. There was no star player. Next year Lipan beat multiple 4A and 5A teams again no star player. Brock is next door. They are a small 3A school. Almost every year they are beating 4A and 5A schools as well. 

Then look at Silsbee itself by your logic shouldn't be playing with and beating Yates because Silsbee has 800 students while Yates is in Houston ISD, which has a rule that you can start at any high school and not have to sit out a year. That means 20,000 students that Yates might have available. Not just Yates but all of those 6A schools they beat the previous years. They did not have stars like Kendrick Perkins or Stephen Jackson. Yes they might end up with 1 NBA player and 1 NFL player on their rosters those years, but no one was recruited to Kentucky or even a Big 12 school for basketball. They had great players. Talented players, but no one star. Only last year could you say that really. Just a really good team.

I have seen ranked 1A teams almost beat ranked 5A teams. Played them within 10 points. That 1A team had 5 good players in the same grade that all grew up together. They had 1 player who scored about 25 a game, but that night she had the flu. It was still a close game. There are certain 1A schools (even 2A with Big Sandy) that can play with 4A, 5A and some 6A. Size doesn't always matter. Year in and Year out they are good. 

Leggett is one of those schools. They do not play football. They run cross country and play basketball. They are proud. To sit here and say Livingston (with a lot of players still in football) should not be playing a school like Leggett is disrespectful and a little arrogant. They have been practicing all year with everyone. They are good every year. The past few years even if Livingston was at full strength in December, Leggett probably would have won. They are one of those schools that you respect the tradition. 

I end my rant with one last note to demonstrate Leggett and 1A tradition. Goodrich and Leggett close rivals. Goodrich for four years had Adrian McGowen. She graduated. Leggett then had Brittney Jefferson. Two of the best players in state history played on both sides of Livingston. They can play ball in those towns both boys and girls. So to say no way Livingston should be scheduling Leggett just because they are 1A does not hold up.

As a Livingston parent, that game does nothing to prepare the Lions for district, which at the end of the day is all I care about.

Sure, you can find exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, 4A teams shouldn't be scheduling 1A schools. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Get out your feelings.

Livingston has been no more than an average 4A club in the past and haven’t proven themselves to be much different this year up to this point. Leggett has been a very good 1A club for a while now although this year they have to adjust a little since the Perkins kid graduated. These factors and the score indicate this wasn’t that bad of a matchup for Livingston. Livingston needs to have some recent accomplishments under their belt before you make statements like that disrespecting a good program. 

On 11/26/2020 at 9:26 PM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

As a Livingston parent, that game does nothing to prepare the Lions for district, which at the end of the day is all I care about.

Sure, you can find exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, 4A teams shouldn't be scheduling 1A schools. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Get out your feelings.

We taught the how to play and win.  We should play them all the time. LOL

Y'all don't read.

Leggett basically played the Frosh/JV team because the starters were playing football. 

Beating Leggett is nothing to be proud of if you're a 4A school.  You're supposed to beat a super small school. Even when you're shorthanded, like Livingston was.

Livingston's student body,(or any big 4A school, for that matter) is probably at least 20 times bigger.  The very reason we have classes is so schools like Leggett can play against a level field. And they do a marvelous job in 1A.

Being happy about that win would be like LSU fans rushing the field after pounding McNeese or Texas pulling up goal posts after hammering Lamar by 50.

I might have been the only one on the Livingston side at Trinity that wasn't whopping and hollering during the blowout because Livingston was supposed to win that game and win big.

But again, I ain't from here, and I expect a little more. Being good enough to beat Polk County schools ain't good enough to win in district.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, Lions Pride 2021 said:

I graduated from Livingston, and am glad when we moved back, that we lived in Big Sandy so my kids didn’t have to go to school there.  As for small school playing big school, Big Sandy would have mopped the floor with Livingston a few years back.  Ask Coldspring about the beat down they took on Big Sandy’s floor.  As for Livingston, there were some good teams that came through in the mid to late 80’s.  I didn’t miss a game!