Silsbee vs #1 Carthage

BADSANTA

41 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Defense is the key for Silsbee to even come close to winning this game. It’s evident they can score. There has been improvement with Gilder. Defense wins championships. 

I have to disagree. Obviously a good defense helps, but playing Carthage you have to score just about every time you get the ball. 

21 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The offense will need to score and score often in this one and the only way to do that is not be one dimensional.  I think Silsbee will need to pass 40% of the time and Foster can’t be off on ANY of his throws.  

I think defensively, Silsbee can cause Carthage a few problems, but there’s no stoping the Carthage O completely.  

What I said was what needs to happen for Silsbee to think about pulling off the upset.  What I think and what will happen is different.

Carthage - 48

Silsbee - 20

they want score 48 against them. I've seen them 3x this year.carthage is very discipline.they will have to slow down #2. And Silsbee LBS will have to have a gud game. He cuts back alot on those toss sweeps.And I expect them to double team #73 for Silsbee.that kid has had a great yr.if Silsbee dont give up any cheap scores like they did against w.o I think this game could be closer than what ppl think. If they do give up the cheap scores.than they will lose by 21. Airline and dodd will be huge . No T/O. And it should be a great game.and i hope Silsbee uses there backs to swing pass too. Bcz Carthage brings the blitz alot. #5 the LB is gud.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I think if Silsbee plays up to their potential, they could find themselves in striking distance late in the game. 

Carthage will have to lay an egg, too. 

But that’s why they still have to play the games. 

Did you just say something relatively good about silsbee?? Man, 2020 is a crazy year...

8 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

Not worried just curious just remember all the hype leading up to that game and was a major disappointment  especially  with pg looking like  Baylor of old throwing it all over them

They made several line up changes, and adjustments since WOS game, prob enough to give PG, or WOS fits, but not enough for this one? A lot of very athletic kids , but some very young, couple others first year to play football. This team was hurt by lack of off season more than others for those reasons. I just hope this whole thing don't get shutdown before we finish playoffs, due to the increases of virus.

3 hours ago, JaspD55 said:

They made several line up changes, and adjustments since WOS game, prob enough to give PG, or WOS fits, but not enough for this one? A lot of very athletic kids , but some very young, couple others first year to play football. This team was hurt by lack of off season more than others for those reasons. I just hope this whole thing don't get shutdown before we finish playoffs, due to the increases of virus.

I think we can all agree on that last statement. Things have gone nuts here in NM the past two weeks or so. The governor issued stay-at-home orders that went into effect this morning. 

I'm sure Silsbee has improved and they deserve credit for pushing through adversity and getting this far, but Carthage is a constant buzz saw that won't be stopping this week for sure. I'll say Carthage 40, Silsbee 14. Good luck, Tigers. 

On 11/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, Dawgs12345 said:

I have to disagree. Obviously a good defense helps, but playing Carthage you have to score just about every time you get the ball. 

I can agree with that in a sense. But if you can’t stop them what’s the point. A good defense don’t give up many points. And those are the teams that win games. The most points carthage has Given up all year is to Jasper with 18 but they didn’t score but 35. Yes putting up points runs the score board defense is the key. 

4 hours ago, JaspD55 said:

Even with there oline changes. This year they can't beat w.o. this is one of the years w.o is loaded.and headed head on with Carthage.and don't forget w.o didn't have there top 2 offensive guys after the 1st qtr and still put up 36 points. But Silsbee is playing better.and if they can't slow #2,28,42 down from running the ball it might be a long nite. And they absolutely have to make #12 uncomfortable and not let him just stand there and throw it. He is not the typical running qb once u make him move.

6 hours ago, Deuce said:

I can agree with that in a sense. But if you can’t stop them what’s the point. A good defense don’t give up many points. And those are the teams that win games. The most points carthage has Given up all year is to Jasper with 18 but they didn’t score but 35. Yes putting up points runs the score board defense is the key. 

Jasper scored 10 points on the Dawg starters, they scored the final 8 with seconds left in the game against the Dawg back ups. 
The Dawg D has 19 interceptions and 8 fumble recoveries in 8 games. 
This will be a good game, Silsbee always have athletes. 
The Dawg O linemen are big, strong, quick off the ball and very well coached. My opinion the best in all of 4A. 
Horton at QB is 6’ 5 and 225 pounds with a big arm and this year is really running the ball well when he has had to. 
Big time tight end and 4 outstanding receivers that can fly. 
Running back number 2 is the heart of the offense, he will run over and through tacklers, and great pass catcher. 
Dawgs have One of the best blocking Fullbacks you will see. 
I have not seen WOS defense, but the Dawg D is the fastest we have had at Carthage. 
Linebackers 5 and 6 run side line to side line and make bone jarring tackles. 
The D line are super fast off the ball and have been in the back field on every team they have faced. 
The secondary have 19 interceptions and they are exceptional at tackling. 
I look for the Dawgs to be fired up and ready to play a very good Silsbee team. 
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans. 

8 hours ago, Deuce said:

With offenses getting better and more diverse I think a great offense beats a great defense these days. I guess the main thing is you don’t have many teams that play great D anymore. There are a few like WO-S, Carthage, and LV that still play great D and put a lot of their top guys on D. But those teams are few and far between. Most of the time your best players are playing on offense in TXHSFB. For sure their are still a few throwbacks, but not many. Carthage is fortunate to have the depth to have athletes on D without playing them both ways, but in the lower classes that’s rare. That’s all I’m getting at. I don’t see a team outside of WO-S in 4a DII that might have a D that can stop Carthage. We will probably find out, but they haven’t shut down a team anywhere close to Carthage yet this season. So your best shot is to score as many as you can and hope it’s enough. Catch a couple breaks and get a few turnovers. Let the chips fall where they may, and in the end you might have a chance. But to think you are going to shut them down isn’t really an option. The last time Carthage got beat was because they couldn’t stop LH. Bad weather was a factor but Carthage still put up like 500 yards of offense and 41 points. Another game they almost lost in that time frame was last year against Lampasas. Lamp scored 42, but they threw 2 pick 6’s and Carthage scored 49.

I agree that a great D can be the key, just don’t think teams have great D’s anymore. Tackling is almost a lost art. Again I know there are exceptions, but not many. I just believe if your going to beat Carthage you better have a great offense. That’s the only teams that have beat or came close to beating them recently. Carthage is on a tear since the 2016 playoffs.

3 hours ago, Dawgs12345 said:

With offenses getting better and more diverse I think a great offense beats a great defense these days. I guess the main thing is you don’t have many teams that play great D anymore. There are a few like WO-S, Carthage, and LV that still play great D and put a lot of their top guys on D. But those teams are few and far between. Most of the time your best players are playing on offense in TXHSFB. For sure their are still a few throwbacks, but not many. Carthage is fortunate to have the depth to have athletes on D without playing them both ways, but in the lower classes that’s rare. That’s all I’m getting at. I don’t see a team outside of WO-S in 4a DII that might have a D that can stop Carthage. We will probably find out, but they haven’t shut down a team anywhere close to Carthage yet this season. So your best shot is to score as many as you can and hope it’s enough. Catch a couple breaks and get a few turnovers. Let the chips fall where they may, and in the end you might have a chance. But to think you are going to shut them down isn’t really an option. The last time Carthage got beat was because they couldn’t stop LH. Bad weather was a factor but Carthage still put up like 500 yards of offense and 41 points. Another game they almost lost in that time frame was last year against Lampasas. Lamp scored 42, but they threw 2 pick 6’s and Carthage scored 49.

I agree that a great D can be the key, just don’t think teams have great D’s anymore. Tackling is almost a lost art. Again I know there are exceptions, but not many. I just believe if your going to beat Carthage you better have a great offense. That’s the only teams that have beat or came close to beating them recently. Carthage is on a tear since the 2016 playoffs.

Even Nick Saban has finally admitted that offense is the key now. Even the good teams give up lots and lots of points. State championship games are more and more turning into track meets, where the two best teams in the division can't stop each other. As applied to this game, Silsbee cannot realistically expect to stop Carthage -- They are just going have to play lights out offense, get some turnovers, and hope to MAYBE make Carthage punt 2 to 3 times the entire game (thinking generously. I expect Silsbee gets 1 to 2 turnovers on downs). That being said, Silsbee has pulled off playoff miracles against a favored juggernaut two seasons in a row. It's hard to bet against Silsbee in the playoffs lately. But I'd still bet on Carthage. Hope Silsbee proves me wrong.