CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC

VP93....

6 hours ago, oldman said:

If you cross the Trinity heading west the pay scales improve dramatically.  BH pay scale starts at $65,000 for a first year teacher.  Goose Creek and other districts start out at $55,000 or more.

Many assistant coaches  west of the Trinity make more than lots of Head Coaches in the Golden Triangle.  

Babin will probably make more as an assistant in the Houston Area than what he made at Lumberton.

Less Headache and Heartache

I hear a lot of talk about a coach who can "change" the culture and pin their hopes on that.

As a graduate of a school that has that culture, I can tell you that it not the way it works, ladies and gentlemen. 

Yes, culture requires the commitment of the players and the coach.....it also requires the commitment of the community.  Yes, it requires discipline in the program coming down from the coach and learned by the player....it also requires that the individual parent refrain from going to school officials when their particular son is subjected to that discipline.  Yes, it takes a strong defense, but it also takes a parent who doesn't question why his or her son is at safety or linebacker instead of quarterback or running back.

The point is a big part of culture is getting off of the coaches back and letting him do his job. 

A history lesson.  Dan Hooks took over the West Orange-Stark head coaching job from Steve McCarty in 1981.  He took over a team that was 9-1 in 1980 and subsequently coached the Mustangs to 7-3, 6-4 and 3-7 (the first ever losing season in WO-S history) records over the next 3 seasons.  At the end of his seventh season, the Mustangs had 2 state championship trophies in their trophy case.

A second history lesson, Hooks' successor, a guy some of y'all might know, lost 3 of his first 4 games as Mustang head coach after he surmised the offense would be better off from the I formation rather than the spread.  And that was after his first coaching stint where he went 1-9 and was known around East Texas as the "guy who kept Adrian Peterson on the junior varsity." Despite all that, the Mustangs have never been less than 4 rounds deep in the playoffs with Cornel Thompson as head coach, have made 4 more trips to the state finals' made and put 2 more state championships trophies in the trophy case over on Newton Street in West Orange.

Not every decision of Hooks or Thompson did not pan out.  But the community as a whole let these guys coach their team.  Sure, like any community, the Greater Orange area had their share on village idiots who made their feelings known........they still do. But these guys were given the opportunity to coach their teams.

The Lumberton ISD could hire a coach who has a resume of accolades to span goal line to goal line at Raider Stadium to replace Chris Babin.  First, they will not find anybody who cares for his kids as much as Coach Babin.  Second, even if the resume is better, they will fare no better if the community doesn't get off of his back.

14 hours ago, spidersal said:

Their teaching stipend has everything to do with experience the longer you have been in the teaching profession the more you make

coaching stipends are different. In football offensive and defensive coordinators get more than other assistants and varsity coaches get more than freshman or junior school coaches

in other sports the head of that sport will get more than the assistant

The problem is that the stipend scale at Lumberton is not very good

The teaching portion of any educator's salary is not a stipend.  It is the base salary per the school district's salary schedule.  An offensive coordinator makes exactly the same as a junior high science teacher for teaching (assuming they're on the same step of the salary schedule).  Stipends are EXTRA duties.  Coaching, UIL, etc..  Stipends will vary but yes, coordinators get higher stipends than just assistant football coaches.  Head coaches get higher stipends than their assistants.  Varsity basketball may be 7,000 while jv basketball may be half of that.  Offensive/defensive coordinators may get 8,000 for coaching football while the other football coaches may get 5,000.  These are all examples.  Usually, if the head football coach is the AD, they will be on an administrator's salary.  Usually negotiable.  Stipends can be negotiable and extra stipends can be given to "sweeten the deal".. (power lifting, track, etc.) but the teacher salary is not negotiable.  Yes, teacher pay scales will increase based on years of experience but it is not a stipend.  It's just the salary. 

14 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I hear a lot of talk about a coach who can "change" the culture and pin their hopes on that.

As a graduate of a school that has that culture, I can tell you that it not the way it works, ladies and gentlemen. 

Yes, culture requires the commitment of the players and the coach.....it also requires the commitment of the community.  Yes, it requires discipline in the program coming down from the coach and learned by the player....it also requires that the individual parent refrain from going to school officials when their particular son is subjected to that discipline.  Yes, it takes a strong defense, but it also takes a parent who doesn't question why his or her son is at safety or linebacker instead of quarterback or running back.

The point is a big part of culture is getting off of the coaches back and letting him do his job. 

A history lesson.  Dan Hooks took over the West Orange-Stark head coaching job from Steve McCarty in 1981.  He took over a team that was 9-1 in 1980 and subsequently coached the Mustangs to 7-3, 6-4 and 3-7 (the first ever losing season in WO-S history) records over the next 3 seasons.  At the end of his seventh season, the Mustangs had 2 state championship trophies in their trophy case.

A second history lesson, Hooks' successor, a guy some of y'all might know, lost 3 of his first 4 games as Mustang head coach after he surmised the offense would be better off from the I formation rather than the spread.  And that was after his first coaching stint where he went 1-9 and was known around East Texas as the "guy who kept Adrian Peterson on the junior varsity." Despite all that, the Mustangs have never been less than 4 rounds deep in the playoffs with Cornel Thompson as head coach, have made 4 more trips to the state finals' made and put 2 more state championships trophies in the trophy case over on Newton Street in West Orange.

Not every decision of Hooks or Thompson did not pan out.  But the community as a whole let these guys coach their team.  Sure, like any community, the Greater Orange area had their share on village idiots who made their feelings known........they still do. But these guys were given the opportunity to coach their teams.

The Lumberton ISD could hire a coach who has a resume of accolades to span goal line to goal line at Raider Stadium to replace Chris Babin.  First, they will not find anybody who cares for his kids as much as Coach Babin.  Second, even if the resume is better, they will fare no better if the community doesn't get off of his back.

1000% Agreed. The only caveat is (as you stated) they gotta hire someone who, if given the chance, can bring the program full circle. I don’t believe that will be achieved by finding a low rent guy who had “some” success in district at a 2-A school. It needs to be a guy who has experience, tough standards and thick skin. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

The teaching portion of any educator's salary is not a stipend.  It is the base salary per the school district's salary schedule.  An offensive coordinator makes exactly the same as a junior high science teacher for teaching (assuming they're on the same step of the salary schedule).  Stipends are EXTRA duties.  Coaching, UIL, etc..  Stipends will vary but yes, coordinators get higher stipends than just assistant football coaches.  Head coaches get higher stipends than their assistants.  Varsity basketball may be 7,000 while jv basketball may be half of that.  Offensive/defensive coordinators may get 8,000 for coaching football while the other football coaches may get 5,000.  These are all examples.  Usually, if the head football coach is the AD, they will be on an administrator's salary.  Usually negotiable.  Stipends can be negotiable and extra stipends can be given to "sweeten the deal".. (power lifting, track, etc.) but the teacher salary is not negotiable.  Yes, teacher pay scales will increase based on years of experience but it is not a stipend.  It's just the salary. 

So increase the stipends and go get you some coaches. 

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

So increase the stipends and go get you some coaches. 

Um.. I know lol.  That's what I've been saying and have said to be the reason that Lumberton will not get a big name coach.  Even if they dump some money into an AD salary.. still gotta pay his assistants or they won't come either.

2 hours ago, PdaddyBball said:

Who around the area could come in and build upon what Babin has done? Small school head coach or a coordinator somewhere? These kids deserve a quality guy like Babin to follow him. 

It doesn’t matter. Unless they find a game changer, they’ll be looking for another in a few years. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, oldschool2 said:

I'd think that a program such as Lumberton's shouldn't be quick to dismiss any option.  I don't know anything about this person.. maybe he's good.  Either way, who do you expect to get?  I know that ANY AD job is attractive in some ways to a lot of coaches but Lumberton doesn't necessarily have a background of being a good football job.  

I don't know, I just think they can do better. Assistant at Hull Daisetta, assistant somewhere in Texas City, HC in New Mexico I believe, then 2-4 in one season at Legacy. If Lumberton is forced to settle for that, they're in bad shape. No shot at Stevens, just an observation. 

3 hours ago, 2wedge said:

I don't know, I just think they can do better. Assistant at Hull Daisetta, assistant somewhere in Texas City, HC in New Mexico I believe, then 2-4 in one season at Legacy. If Lumberton is forced to settle for that, they're in bad shape. No shot at Stevens, just an observation. 

I have no idea what kind of resume they’ll get. I’m just saying that staying open minded at a school with a poor football history such as Lumberton.  I’ll wager that they probably go with the best resume every time.  How has that changed anything?  I’m not saying that a coach’s experience shouldn’t be a factor, because it certainly does, but maybe other details should be taken into consideration as well.

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

Need a coordinator from Lake Travis or West Lake

It's laughable to think that a coordinator from LT or WL would make the difference.  You mentioned two schools that have kids with unlimited resources and a community that NEVER has to discuss what kind of coach is needed to make the difference.  Literal D1 athletes and future pro players.  Plus.. I'll bet good money that their coordinators would rather stay where they are than take on the head gig in a historically failed football program.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

It's laughable to think that a coordinator from LT or WL would make the difference.  You mentioned two schools that have kids with unlimited resources and a community that NEVER has to discuss what kind of coach is needed to make the difference.  Literal D1 athletes and future pro players.  Plus.. I'll bet good money that their coordinators would rather stay where they are than take on the head gig in a historically failed football program.

So very true. Do those coordinators have to deal with:

1. Community and athlete "buy in"

2. Limited resources

3. Average to below average athleticism

4. Lack of commitment

5. Small, inexperienced staff

etc........

32 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I’m not saying they would come. I’m saying he wants a bigger school coach not a wing t guy from HJ. 

1 minute ago, Pho Rizzle said:

The real question is, will Lumberton allow  a new coach the time it requires to turn around their program ? Their is always a transition period that takes place, like when I went from a buzz cut to a mullet in the 80s. It was rough during the transition but once I had those flowing locks then it was sOOOO worth the wait.

I can't relate. I decided to go Mr. Clean when I was about 30, but I don't have the patience to grow it back at 47. LOL

• WOSgrad changed the title to CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC