CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC

VP93....

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

What kind of athletes do they have coming up? Don’t you think a great coach would have the ability to figure that out and put in whatever best suits his athletes?

I have no idea.. and yes, I would think even an average to above average coach could figure out what system would suit whoever he has in the program.

47 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

It's attitudes like this that are exactly what teams have to overcome. With this mentality , they should just just get rid of the football team.

This is the hidden content, please

Angry?  Not even close.. I actually couldn't care less nor do I have a dog in the fight.  I just don't really like reexplaining simple concepts.  

The team will overcome the main issue at hand (a losing culture) with a consistent head coach that is allowed to implement his program without parent interference.  That.. is the real trick.

2 hours ago, raideroldtimer said:

Whoever we get better be ready to take on the whiney parents. The first parent that comes along and gripes because their boy didn't get the playing time mom or dad thought they should have can very well cost you your job here in Lumberton.m Nobody looks at the winning traditions we have in basketball, Soccer and other sports where the assistant coaches that tend to stay through different head coaches lead the teams. Tradition is what it takes to win consistently, look at PNG or West Orange Stark, they reload every year because of tradition.

I hear ya, but when was the last time that happened? Respectfully, I don’t think it’s the same as it used to be. I know 80% of the varsity parents. That may be a thing of the past. 

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I hear ya, but when was the last time that happened? Respectfully, I don’t think it’s the same as it used to be. I know 80% of the varsity parents. That may be a thing of the past. 

That's the first step to the creation of a favorable culture.  Trusting that the coach is doing what's best for the program.. and that little Johnny would happily fill whatever role is needed of them.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

That's the first step to the creation of a favorable culture.  Trusting that the coach is doing what's best for the program.. and that little Johnny would happily fill whatever role is needed of them.

Yes! Yes! Yes! The community, just as much as the players and coaches, have to be a part of the culture. 

Yes, a good coach will have the team in the right offense (and defense) to suit the personnel.  It is just that the offense very might be the slot T.  No, it is not a favorite of mine either.  But it is an offense that, if run correctly, can be very explosive.  Ask me, I know, Pleasant Grove gashed my beloved Mustangs, who are known to have a decent defense, for 41 points in the 2017 title game.  Liberty Hill has won titles with it. You can score and win with it.  Running it is not an admission of inferiority.  It doesn't mean that you don't believe you have the athletes to win.  It is run because that is the best fit.

I have been told to win in the spread, your quarterback needs have around a 60% pass completion percentage.  Does Lumberton have that type of quarterback? I don't know.  If they don't, a change to the spread like so many desire here would only guarantee that your defense will see a lot of time on the field. 3 plays that take only about 20 seconds off of the clock can do that.

If folks here in Lumberton don't trust the coach to institute the offense that best suits the players, then it would behoove Lumberton ISD not to hire that coach.

46 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! The community, just as much as the players and coaches, have to be a part of the culture. 

Yes, a good coach will have the team in the right offense (and defense) to suit the personnel.  It is just that the offense very might be the slot T.  No, it is not a favorite of mine either.  But it is an offense that, if run correctly, can be very explosive.  Ask me, I know, Pleasant Grove gashed my beloved Mustangs, who are known to have a decent defense, for 41 points in the 2017 title game.  Liberty Hill has won titles with it. You can score and win with it.  Running it is not an admission of inferiority.  It doesn't mean that you don't believe you have the athletes to win.  It is run because that is the best fit.

I have been told to win in the spread, your quarterback needs have around a 60% pass completion percentage.  Does Lumberton have that type of quarterback? I don't know.  If they don't, a change to the spread like so many desire here would only guarantee that your defense will see a lot of time on the field. 3 plays that take only about 20 seconds off of the clock can do that.

If folks here in Lumberton don't trust the coach to institute the offense that best suits the players, then it would behoove Lumberton ISD not to hire that coach.

That's the point that needs to be understood.  Perfectly said.  Btw.. like you mention, the slot-t wins a lot of games every year.  Some teams simply need to rely on misdirection and/or easy to understand blocking schemes.  It drives me nuts when the sideline coaches start in on who should be playing where and what needs to happen offensively/defensively.  I mean.. so just become a coach if you're hell bent on doing things differently.  Either that or let the coaches do what they were hired to do.

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's the point that needs to be understood.  Perfectly said.  Btw.. like you mention, the slot-t wins a lot of games every year.  Some teams simply need to rely on misdirection and/or easy to understand blocking schemes.  It drives me nuts when the sideline coaches start in on who should be playing where and what needs to happen offensively/defensively.  I mean.. so just become a coach if you're hell bent on doing things differently.  Either that or let the coaches do what they were hired to do.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Everything y’all are saying is true. I’m just trying to make the point that a good and accomplished coach will probably have a better chance of bringing ALL facets together (scheme, kids, community) to have a successful program (not just team) that starts at the Junior High level and works its way up. 

Still amazed that people actually think just because you run a variation of the SPREAD that you can't be a smash mouth, physical, downhill, ball control, power running football team. 

OH, and God forbid you actually throw the ball. I know some of you thing the forward pass is sacreligious.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Still amazed that people actually think just because you run a variation of the SPREAD that you can't be a smash mouth, physical, downhill, ball control, power running football team. 

OH, and God forbid you actually throw the ball. I know some of you thing the forward pass is sacreligious.

Even pop Warner teams throwing more. Speed is evolving.... kids are different now. A shotgun based formation is just more successful usually in today's game across the board I believe. Some people are stuck in the 90s

• 2 weeks later...

First question, is Lumberton an upper class, upper middle class or a lower middle class community?

Not sure what the financial situation is in Lumberton ISD, but I would think they would be able to pay a coach better than they do.

Second question. does the community just not support athletics as a whole, or is it the fact that historically they have been a baseball school and football is the red headed step child?

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, LC-M said:

I’m hearing Art Briles. 

Ya never know! Barbers Hill paid several million dollars and hired their coach and his family away from Allen. Just sayin'. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC