CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC

VP93....

Coach Babb did a very good job. He raised the participation numbers and  worked extremely  hard, He is a good man and cares for his players.  I know going back and forth to Houston on the weekends to see family got old.  Being with family was priority #1.  He also realized that winning football games at Lumberton is extremely difficult.  There is not much talent and the players are used to losing.  They work hard but just don’t have the mental aspect of what it takes to win.  Who ever gets the job is going to have to change the losing culture.  All the best to coach Babin and his family.

30 minutes ago, glassjoe said:

Anyone know if Credeur will be throwing his name in the hat?   

I don’t think getting an experienced AD who has been multiple rounds deep in multiple seasons will not be an option at 75-80K.  

If you’re talking about Aaron, I’m sure he would. And I hope he gets it. But I’m assuming the new superintendent will want to hire an outside guy.

11 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Coach Babb did a very good job. He raised the participation numbers and  worked extremely  hard, He is a good man and cares for his players.  I know going back and forth to Houston on the weekends to see family got old.  Being with family was priority #1.  He also realized that winning football games at Lumberton is extremely difficult.  There is not much talent and the players are used to losing.  They work hard but just don’t have the mental aspect of what it takes to win.  Who ever gets the job is going to have to change the losing culture.  All the best to coach Babin and his family.

In order to change the culture he would need a 10 year contract like Jon Gruden. Cause it’s not gonna happen overnight like most people seem to expect.

13 minutes ago, spidersal said:

They work hard but just don’t have the mental aspect of what it takes to win.

That may be one of the dumbest comments I’ve ever seen. From coach Frank Martin:
“We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop out.”

If you want to blame the community or parents, the coaching or the district, I’m all in. Those kids’ lack of mental toughness is not the issue. 

It’s fairly simple, they start getting that doubt as soon as they fall behind during a game.  Example: oh no here we go again. You are correct about parents and coaching being a big part of it. I agree that being soft is due partly to the coaching staff.  However , I also believe that winning must become very important to you as a player.  Basically the parents, community, coaching staff, and players are all responsible for a winning culture.

51 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That may be one of the dumbest comments I’ve ever seen. From coach Frank Martin:
“We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop out.”

If you want to blame the community or parents, the coaching or the district, I’m all in. Those kids’ lack of mental toughness is not the issue. 

Exactly! I hate hearing people complain about “kids these days”. I always reply with “you’re the one raising those kids these days”

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It’s not just mental toughness they lack... them boys are soft. 

Well I wonder why teams like Katy, Denton Ryan, Highland Park, Southlake Carrol, WOS, Aledo, and North Shore continue to always be successful.  I know they usually have talent, but I also know that winning is extremely important to every class.  They have a great desire to be like the winners before them.  I would certainly say that is a mental aspect. Do the Lumberton players want to win?  Sure they do, but they are so used to losing that  if they win, they are happy and if they lose, it’s oh well we tried. 

50 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

4 deep 2X is the only Qualification??? So your hoping WOS or Newton has a coach that is dying to come to Lumberton? How bout this go find a coach that can win with the type of kids that you have.

No, it’s not the only qualification nor is it finite. And I should have said a head coach that has had those successes. Someone with a proven track record as a head coach. It’s not a great environment for a young coach to come prove himself. Lumberton will no doubt move up after next year. Let’s get ‘em a real deal guy that takes over and builds on what Babin has already started. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, 2wedge said:

Surely you’re joking? 

I'd think that a program such as Lumberton's shouldn't be quick to dismiss any option.  I don't know anything about this person.. maybe he's good.  Either way, who do you expect to get?  I know that ANY AD job is attractive in some ways to a lot of coaches but Lumberton doesn't necessarily have a background of being a good football job.  

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'd think that a program such as Lumberton's shouldn't be quick to dismiss any option.  I don't know anything about this person.. maybe he's good.  Either way, who do you expect to get?  I know that ANY AD job is attractive in some ways to a lot of coaches but Lumberton doesn't necessarily have a background of being a good football job.  

Money talks. If I had a say in it (which I don’t), I would put up some “too good too pass” dollars for a great coach. 
Their weight room and field are very nice. Why spend all that money on facilities and skimp on the coach? That coach is going to get them a lot further than a turf field or 3 new sets of jerseys. That coach is going increase ticket sales too. That coach can change players, school and community. Pay the man. 

3 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Money talks. If I had a say in it (which I don’t), I would put up some “too good too pass” dollars for a great coach. 
Their weight room and field are very nice. Why spend all that money on facilities and skimp on the coach. That coach is going to get them a lot further than a turf field or 3 new sets of jerseys. That coach is going increase ticket sales too. That coach can change players, school and community. Pay the man. 

Nice stadium and turf field?? Brother there are schools across the state half of Lumbertons size that have nice stadium with turf field, 1 or 2 turf practice fields, and big state of the art indoor facilities. Don’t ever use southeast Texas and nice facilities in the same sentence 

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Their weight room and field are very nice. Why spend all that money on facilities and skimp on the coach? That coach is going to get them a lot further than a turf field or 3 new sets of jerseys. That coach is going increase ticket sales too. That coach can change players, school and community. Pay the man. 

Money does talk.  However, your facilities is a completely different pool of money than your salaries.  I'm not sure the case with Lumberton, but last time I checked the pay scale was pretty embarrassing.  Even though I doubt it, administrator salaries are normally negotiable.  Lumberton probably has an admin pay range or so like a lot of SeTx schools.  But say I'm wrong... lets assume Lumberton opens up the checkbook for a big name coach.  You think assistant coaches will be lining up to make whatever Lumberton pays (probably not much) on a probable undersized staff?  There more that goes into it than just paying one person 100K to be your football coach.  

5 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Nice stadium and turf field?? Brother there are schools across the state half of Lumbertons size that have nice stadium with turf field, 1 or 2 turf practice fields, and big state of the art indoor facilities. Don’t ever use southeast Texas and nice facilities in the same sentence 

Say what you want. It’s not Livingston, BC or LCM. I didn’t say it was Cowboys Stadium. It’s a nice facility compared to lots of places. Regardless, my point is I’d rather spend the money on a coach rather than the fluff. The other stuff can come later. 

15 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

As suspected:

This is the hidden content, please

This is the hidden content, please

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Money does talk.  However, your facilities is a completely different pool of money than your salaries.  I'm not sure the case with Lumberton, but last time I checked the pay scale was pretty embarrassing.  Even though I doubt it, administrator salaries are normally negotiable.  Lumberton probably has an admin pay range or so like a lot of SeTx schools.  But say I'm wrong... lets assume Lumberton opens up the checkbook for a big name coach.  You think assistant coaches will be lining up to make whatever Lumberton pays (probably not much) on a probable undersized staff?  There more that goes into it than just paying one person 100K to be your football coach.  

That is correct. Gotta start somewhere. Or they could just sit on their hands and do nothing and piss and moan about why we don’t win. Then go out and buy a new train horn and helmet decals to make everyone feel good til we have a losing season.

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

Say what you want. It’s not Livingston, BC or LCM. I didn’t say it was Cowboys Stadium. It’s a nice facility compared to lots of places. Regardless, my point is I’d rather spend the money on a coach rather than the fluff. The other stuff can come later. 

Hey man we painted the cement on our stands lol. Lumberton needs to find a coach that fits their  scheme. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC