Port Neches-Groves 42 Dayton 20/FINAL

Rez Ipsa

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

Once upon a time we had a real coach named Jerry Stewart he took us to State in 2008. There was a budget shortfall a few yrs later at Dayton ISD  so Jerry stepped down as HC but retaned his AD job for practically no money. Well come to find out just because your one of Jerry's assistant coachs (defense) doesn't mean your qualiflied or even close to being a HC as we found out the newly promoted was a vile flunky. After 5 yrs. of damage the Dayton isd School Board and Super regroup and put there heads together to come up with a brilliant new plan to revise the fallen football program with another assistan of Jerrys. This time the old Offensive coach was rehired toAD/HC which when the dust cleared turned out to be another flunky for 4 yrs. So finally in 2020 the board and Super have another apiphany and hire a real coach from  New Caney (Ware) and we are starting to rebuild our program again . And now you know the rest of the story! He has about 33 kids on varsity this year to work with.   ...  

Thank you - I didn't know any of this. I'm not sure who the coach was at this point in the timeline, but Dayton was pretty good in 2011 (beat PNG in close game), 2014 (beat PNG in close game), and 2015 (lost to PNG in close game). Ever since then it's been a different story. 

3 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Thank you - I didn't know any of this. I'm not sure who the coach was at this point in the timeline, but Dayton was pretty good in 2011 (beat PNG in close game), 2014 (beat PNG in close game), and 2015 (lost to PNG in close game). Ever since then it's been a different story. 

One of those playoff games we had an "All State Kicker" that scored all of Daytons points for the win.( I think he kicked 5 or six field goals )

58 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

One of those playoff games we had an "All State Kicker" that scored all of Daytons points for the win.( I think he kicked 5 or six field goals )

Don’t remind me. It looked like PNG was going to run away with it because Dayton couldn’t stop our offense, and Dayton kept “settling” for field goals from what seemed like impossible distances. And they won - it was either 12 or 15 points off of field goals alone. It was surreal - he was hitting them from 46, 48 yards. That was 2011. So PNG got behind and could have won with a score, but in the last play Dayton intercepted PNG in the end zone and it was over. 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Don’t remind me. It looked like PNG was going to run away with it because Dayton couldn’t stop our offense, and Dayton kept “settling” for field goals from what seemed like impossible distances. And they won - it was either 12 or 15 points off of field goals alone. It was surreal - he was hitting them from 46, 48 yards. That was 2011. So PNG got behind and could have won with a score, but in the last play Dayton intercepted PNG in the end zone and it was over. 

Yeah - Jerry Stewart was HC coach then. I remember PNG had a good QB that would throw long passes to a really good WR all night long.

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

Yeah - Jerry Stewart was HC coach then. I remember PNG had a good QB that would throw long passes to a really good WR all night long.

That was QB Josh Miller (I think that was his name). The receiver was Jayce Nelson, who played for Lamar and now coaches at PNG. Jayce has a strong argument for being the best WR in PNG history.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, jayhawk said:

Once upon a time we had a real coach named Jerry Stewart he took us to State in 2008. There was a budget shortfall a few yrs later at Dayton ISD  so Jerry stepped down as HC but retaned his AD job for practically no money. Well come to find out just because your one of Jerry's assistant coachs (defense) doesn't mean your qualiflied or even close to being a HC as we found out the newly promoted was a vile flunky. After 5 yrs. of damage the Dayton isd School Board and Super regroup and put there heads together to come up with a brilliant new plan to revise the fallen football program with another assistan of Jerrys. This time the old Offensive coach was rehired toAD/HC which when the dust cleared turned out to be another flunky for 4 yrs. So finally in 2020 the board and Super have another apiphany and hire a real coach from  New Caney (Ware) and we are starting to rebuild our program again . And now you know the rest of the story! He has about 33 kids on varsity this year to work with.   ...  

Honestly Hancock wasn't to bad of a coach.  He did make the playoffs.  Some people didn't want him there and had him ran off.  Then once they got what they wanted he didn't pan out to be any good.

2 hours ago, workbootz said:

Honestly Hancock wasn't to bad of a coach.  He did make the playoffs.  Some people didn't want him there and had him ran off.  Then once they got what they wanted he didn't pan out to be any good.

He was good as long  as Stewart lurked in the shadows- ( the kids hated him ,he commanded no respect)

3 hours ago, workbootz said:

He was losing kids fast, wouldn’t have been much longer I’m not sure he would have had enough kids to field a team ( but I still prefered him over his replacement)

20 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

That was QB Josh Miller (I think that was his name). The receiver was Jayce Nelson, who played for Lamar and now coaches at PNG. Jayce has a strong argument for being the best WR in PNG history.

Yes and that last drive we were throwing to the slot back in the flat tearing up Dayton. For some reason, we tried deep on double coverage with Dayton's best player at safety. Didn't end well. 

1 hour ago, warpaint101 said:

How about some game stats. Im at work 

28-6 PNG at the half. Some game details: PNG intercepted Dayton on Dayton's first pass of the game. Dayton QB has completed several long passes, particularly in 3rd and long situations. PNG defense looks better, though Dayton isn't throwing a lot at them. PNG offense is balanced and precise, not a lot of hurry. PNG hasn't punted (I think). Dayton receivers have made some good catches, but there isn't much of a Dayton run game. PNG RBs are having a good night. Conner had a 62-yard run where it looked like he was wrapped up, but he kept his legs churning and got out of the scrum. 

Just now, Rez Ipsa said:

28-6 PNG at the half. Some game details: PNG intercepted Dayton on Dayton's first pass of the game. Dayton QB has completed several long passes, particularly in 3rd and long situations. PNG defense looks better, though Dayton isn't throwing a lot at them. PNG offense is balanced and precise, not a lot of hurry. PNG hasn't punted (I think). Dayton receivers have made some good catches, but there isn't much of a Dayton run game. PNG RBs are having a good night. Conner had a 62-yard run where it looked like he was wrapped up, but he kept his legs churning and got out of the scrum. 

Awsome. Thank you 

27 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

Yes and that last drive we were throwing to the slot back in the flat tearing up Dayton. For some reason, we tried deep on double coverage with Dayton's best player at safety. Didn't end well. 

Yeah, it was a heartbreaker to lose a game like that, especially since it seemed the whole game like we were the ones who were winning, since we kept stopping their offense and making them settle for field goals. No one thought their KICKER would have like 19 points. 

• WOSgrad changed the title to Port Neches-Groves 42 Dayton 20/FINAL