Port Neches-Groves 42 Dayton 20/FINAL

Rez Ipsa

25 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

PNG finally takes an early lead and coast to the win! PNG fans uncertain what to do in this situation leads to record nacho sales😃 PNG by 21 going 2-0 in district.

Faircloth will have team ready.  Just need to avoid turnovers.  Indians must work on short passing game & running plays.  PNG must control the football & show we have that capability.  If we execute game plan, Indians over Broncos by 3 scores.

If PNG gets turnover happy, Who Knows?

NACHOS SOUND GREAT!!!

25 minutes ago, WR2016 said:

How about we clean up the penalties and watch the play clock. We do that we should be just fine. 

I also want to see more sure open field tackling. I think the defense just needs to move permanently to a 4-3 for the rest of the season. What is clear after four games is that if we can get a body on a runner right at the line of scrimmage we will be okay, but in just about every instance where the runner is able to build up a head of steam (read: anytime the runner makes it to the second level), we are looking at a huge gain, or a touchdown. So far every team has been able to exploit that. 

3 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I also want to see more sure open field tackling. I think the defense just needs to move permanently to a 4-3 for the rest of the season. What is clear after four games is that if we can get a body on a runner right at the line of scrimmage we will be okay, but in just about every instance where the runner is able to build up a head of steam (read: anytime the runner makes it to the second level), we are looking at a huge gain, or a touchdown. So far every team has been able to exploit that. 

Tackling in general is our nemesis. I wish they would do more tackling drills in practice. I don't think they do any. And it shows. Defense wins championships. There I said it. 

2 hours ago, FrodoNDN said:

Tackling in general is our nemesis. I wish they would do more tackling drills in practice. I don't think they do any. And it shows. Defense wins championships. There I said it. 

It’s going to continue to be a problem. I feel like the players have been in the right position to make a play, but just don’t latch and on like they should. 

I hear all of you about the defense, tackling drills, etc. But holding Nederland and that running back to 1 touchdown in the second half??? To me that was huge! Too many penalties on offense that kept pushing us back and kept us from scoring, then we missed the field goal. Anyway I am proud of our defense and I see them getting better every week. 

12 minutes ago, Phisical Atmosphere said:

I was sure hoping to see Dayton turn things around. I think the program may be too far gone.

It's only Ware's first yr there. Hopefully they give him time. 

I was hoping Dayton could sneak at max 2 wins in district play (KP and Santa Fe) this year and build from there as far as Varsity.

I wonder what the lower levels looking like from 7th grade on up to JV.......

2 minutes ago, Phisical Atmosphere said:

Yeah, Its really hard to expect a complete 180 degree turn around in one year after the last coach completely dismantled that program. Ware does have a lot to fix so it should take a little time. I've got a soft spot for Dayton because any of their fans that I have met have been really good people. Remind me again where Ware came from ?

Ware was previously at New Caney as OC. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

It's only Ware's first yr there. Hopefully they give him time. 

I was hoping Dayton could sneak at max 2 wins in district play (KP and Santa Fe) this year and build from there as far as Varsity.

I wonder what the lower levels looking like from 7th grade on up to JV.......

Last week was Dayton QB first game back from injury.  Once the offense get it together I think they'll surprise some teams.

The 7th grade team is blowing teams out.

21 hours ago, Phisical Atmosphere said:

Yeah, Its really hard to expect a complete 180 degree turn around in one year after the last coach completely dismantled that program. Ware does have a lot to fix so it should take a little time. 

I’m curious what the last coach did so wrong. All I know is Dayton used to be good, (knocked PNG out of the playoffs at least twice in the last ten years) but it’s been one of the worst teams in the state for about 4 years. 

9 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I’m curious what the last coach did so wrong. All I know is Dayton used to be good, (knocked PNG out of the playoffs at least twice in the last ten years) but it’s been one of the worst teams in the state for about 4 years. 

The first thing to remember is to not take any team lightly.  PNG needs to play every game, and for that matter every play, like it is the last of the season.  Only way to win big, on a regular basis, is too give all you have, all the time!!! 

Coach Ethridge drilled that into the heads of his players during his tenure at PNG. 

Defense needs to make tackles, period!!!

Offense needs to execute plays, period!!!  If you give all you have, no excuses need to be made, Win or Lose!!!

On 10/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, WR2016 said:

I hear all of you about the defense, tackling drills, etc. But holding Nederland and that running back to 1 touchdown in the second half??? To me that was huge! Too many penalties on offense that kept pushing us back and kept us from scoring, then we missed the field goal. Anyway I am proud of our defense and I see them getting better every week. 

Nederland is not that good.  I wouldn't put too much stock in stopping that offense.  We should have beat Nederland by 20.

12 hours ago, Red Boyou said:

Didn’t see where anyone asked about your 3rd graders like they did our underclassmen ..... but good to know,worm

How far back you want to go on underclassmen? Is there rules for that or did you just not like him busting your chops about 7th graders being undefeated? Maybe you can let us know who has the best cheer teams and PTA as well. 

1 minute ago, jayhawk said:

Red Boyou never mentions 7th graders ? So its not OK to respond to another posters question about underclassmen ? I guess you two are the " bust your chops police " -  very mature ! --- I watched big NED and Dayton isn't nearly as good as they are so this should be a walk in the park for PNG. good luck !

As a Dayton fan, do have any inside info as to what happened to Dayton? I hope this question doesn't sound patronizing. All I know if Dayton was solid and even feared no more than five years ago. 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

As a Dayton fan, do have any inside info as to what happened to Dayton? I hope this question doesn't sound patronizing. All I know if Dayton was solid and even feared no more than five years ago. 

Once upon a time we had a real coach named Jerry Stewart he took us to State in 2008. There was a budget shortfall a few yrs later at Dayton ISD  so Jerry stepped down as HC but retaned his AD job for practically no money. Well come to find out just because your one of Jerry's assistant coachs (defense) doesn't mean your qualiflied or even close to being a HC as we found out the newly promoted was a vile flunky. After 5 yrs. of damage the Dayton isd School Board and Super regroup and put there heads together to come up with a brilliant new plan to revise the fallen football program with another assistan of Jerrys. This time the old Offensive coach was rehired toAD/HC which when the dust cleared turned out to be another flunky for 4 yrs. So finally in 2020 the board and Super have another apiphany and hire a real coach from  New Caney (Ware) and we are starting to rebuild our program again . And now you know the rest of the story! He has about 33 kids on varsity this year to work with.   ...  

4 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Red Boyou never mentions 7th graders ? So its not OK to respond to another posters question about underclassmen ? I guess you two are the " bust your chops police " -  very mature ! --- I watched big NED and Dayton isn't nearly as good as they are so this should be a walk in the park for PNG. good luck !

A lot of us are on here from the days of the smack attack board so yes we always like to talk a little friendly trash. Just have to be a little thick skinned and talk it back. 

15 minutes ago, aki1994 said:

A lot of us are on here from the days of the smack attack board so yes we always like to talk a little friendly trash. Just have to be a little thick skinned and talk it back. 

Exactly and Dayton Sux!

That was my battle cry through all of the butt whoppins Dayton gave us through the Stewart regime.

Be careful what you wish for 😀

33 minutes ago, aki1994 said:

Ive been smacken this board way before the Ant Hill has been trying to buy there way to the top - I still think our 3rd graders are better than PNG 3rd graders ! 

• WOSgrad changed the title to Port Neches-Groves 42 Dayton 20/FINAL