Huffman Hargrave @ Vidor - Senior night 2020

Boneyard Boys

2 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

It's game day! 

I think I'm going to sit this one out as far as updates go. It's my boys last game playing at Pirate stadium and I might get a little emotional. So, I'm just going to put the phone away, live in the moment, root them on and enjoy.

If someone wants to provide the occasional update for the people of setxsports, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

OMG I remember that day when both of my boys walked off Huffman field for the very last time! Its another chapter in your book! Enjoy the moment and take it all in. We want our kids to get to this level so fast and then we blink and its over. I cant lie........I am teary eyed right now and my oldest graduated 8 years ago! My youngest last year! Ugh grown men do cry!

Don’t know if the offense that wants to pancake everyone that gets in their way will show up or the offense that expects the RB’s to block for them selves will show up. Block your man to the sound of whistle if you want to win! Defense just do your thing, y’all have been solid all year long! Go Pirates!

2 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

It's game day! 

I think I'm going to sit this one out as far as updates go. It's my boys last game playing at Pirate stadium and I might get a little emotional. So, I'm just going to put the phone away, live in the moment, root them on and enjoy.

If someone wants to provide the occasional update for the people of setxsports, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Good luck to your son tonight. Our senior night is next week against y’all. Wish it didn’t have to end. 

2 hours ago, piratevillain said:

Im curious what offense decides to show up myself, it's like a roll of the dice at this point. Hopefully Mathews told them the playoffs start tonight! 

Pirates need a win and for Lumberton to beat Splendora to clinch a playoff spot tonight. 😬

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Good luck to your son tonight. Our senior night is next week against y’all. Wish it didn’t have to end. 

Indeed, wishing Lumberton well tonight. Stop their running game and you will have a shot.

2 hours ago, piratevillain said:

Im curious what offense decides to show up myself, it's like a roll of the dice at this point. Hopefully Mathews told them the playoffs start tonight! 

Pirates need a win and for Lumberton to beat Splendora to clinch a playoff spot tonight. 😬

Not much interest in that game I guess? I couldn't find a pregame thread for it on here. Lumberton and Splendora, where is that one being played at?

2 hours ago, LTFALCON said:

OMG I remember that day when both of my boys walked off Huffman field for the very last time! Its another chapter in your book! Enjoy the moment and take it all in. We want our kids to get to this level so fast and then we blink and its over. I cant lie........I am teary eyed right now and my oldest graduated 8 years ago! My youngest last year! Ugh grown men do cry!

Me and my son have a tradition.  This time of year, at the end of the game, we don't leave until all the players are off the field.  We stand and wait out of respect, and we cry.  We started doing this years ago when my oldest was at Crosby.  At the end of season and playoff games, there is always a couple players that stay on the grass as long as the can.  For most of these young men, they will never put on a helmet again.  We watched young men refuse to leave, push their teammates away, trying desperately to grasp the moment like they are trying to hold on to castles in the sand.

Its a big moment, some of the things we love and the journeys we take come to an end.  The tide will rise, and the waves of time will reclaim what is rightfully theirs.

There are precious things in this life that will come to an end, and many times, when and how it will end is not your choice.  

I hear ya, "its just football".  But I would ask you to take a moment, after the band stops playing and the scoreboard is turned off, stand up and look.  Life in all its splendor and tragedy is unfolding before you.  

It's more than just football.

1 hour ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Not much interest in that game I guess? I couldn't find a pregame thread for it on here. Lumberton and Splendora, where is that one being played at?

I guess not! lol I tried looking for a thread myself after I looked at the playoff scenarios earlier. I guess Lumberton fans already gave up for the season.

9 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

I guess not! lol I tried looking for a thread myself after I looked at the playoff scenarios earlier. I guess Lumberton fans already gave up for the season.

Not really. I figure if we are only one game behind the mighty Vidor Pirates who are gonna roll through our little 4A-1, we must be doing good!

😎

I know every parent out there is proud of their kids and as well as you should be but just think about the fact that they're not just athletes but student-athletes. School work is hard enough but especially in this day in time with the pandemic it is even harder to juggle your school work with Athletics. I'm just saying if they've made it to Friday night that means they've shown the responsibility and the determination it takes to play on Friday nights and probably made a lot of sacrifices to do so.

1 minute ago, Self High 5 said:

I know every parent out there is proud of their kids and as well as you should be but just think about the fact that they're not just athletes but student-athletes. School work is hard enough but especially in this day in time with the pandemic it is even harder to juggle your school work with Athletics. I'm just saying if they've made it to Friday night that means they've shown the responsibility and the determination it takes to play on Friday nights and probably made a lot of sacrifices to do so.

You are 100% right. 

For those wanting a new Head Coach, it’d be hard to replace Coach Matthews with someone better or equal.   Most of the time his record was established against larger schools.  That plus his character, which according to everyone who knows him, is excellent.   Now, a new OC could definitely be on the table though.

Matthews era, has run its course, its time for a change.  He seems to have the kids ready to play to there competition, example we play Nederland and PNG VERY COMPETITIVE Always finding a way to lose, expect to beat a weaker team Santa FE, Splendora, etc, it doesn't matter most cases get a win by a squeaker, very few times we blow anyone out.  I am fine with his offensive philosophy, it suits the kind of athletes Vidor has.  Something is missing and unfortunately his job depends on it.  I don't think he is a bad guy at all, and has done a acceptable job.  But again something is missing.  You never know  what Vidor team will show up......jmo 

On 10/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, Hagar said:

For those wanting a new Head Coach, it’d be hard to replace Coach Matthews with someone better or equal.   Most of the time his record was established against larger schools.  That plus his character, which according to everyone who knows him, is excellent.   Now, a new OC could definitely be on the table though.

I have no issues with Mathews the person, but as a coach I think he has lost some of the magic dust, and let's be real you get paid for wins and losses you take the qurante (spelling) family out of vidor we are average at best if vidor is ok with being average and making the playoffs every 4 yrs Mathews is your guy. We will never have good assistant coaches in Vidor cause Mathews makes to much money none left to go around. I think it is time for a fresh face in Vidor, Tx with some new ideas Mathews is a poor man's Jeff Fisher and he eventually got fired just saying it could happen

1 hour ago, astros4141078 said:

I have no issues with Mathews the person, but as a coach I think he has lost some of the magic dust, and let's be real you get paid for wins and losses you take the qurante (spelling) family out of vidor we are average at best if vidor is ok with being average and making the playoffs every 4 yrs Mathews is your guy. We will never have good assistant coaches in Vidor cause Mathews makes to much money none left to go around. I think it is time for a fresh face in Vidor, Tx with some new ideas Mathews is a poor man's Jeff Fisher and he eventually got fired just saying it could happen

Man you guys are going hard but I can’t argue with the lifelong fans. What is there keep Jeff from restructuring the coaching staff? What is to keep him from staying the AD and hiring all new coaches? He’s the boss in Vidor whether you like it or not.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, Hagar said:

I watched the game on my computer.  Honestly, I didn't see much difference between the athletes from Vidor and Huffman, my opinion.  And also, I didn't see much difference between Vidor's athletes and Splendora's.  So, again, it boils down to the coach.  If the Vidor faithful is satisfied year in and year out with the product being presented then nothing will change.  And if they are OK with paying good money for this product then that's O\K too.  But don't be disappointed when teams of equal talent make runs deep in the playoffs.