Huffman Hargrave @ Vidor - Senior night 2020

Boneyard Boys

21 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

New OC the last 2 years so you can make your own judgement based off their performance. 

All the years we’ve ran this offense scoring was not a problem it was always our defense couldn’t stop nobody. Now these last 2 years our defense has been pretty solid but now our offense has a hard time scoring points. I am not a coach but the eye test tells me we have the personnel to do better on the offensive side of the ball. Just hope they can get it together so they can secure a playoff spot. 

That offense worked like a charm I remembered.  One year you had a HUGE and mean oline that made it work in 2009.  I remember it worked when you had a special athlete running it in Quirante. You have to have one or the other to run it successfully.  Vidor haven’t had one or a combination of both in a while.  I say just run a conventional offense until those two components show themselves at the high school...

3 hours ago, Phisical Atmosphere said:

I've said it before and I will say it again., the novelty of the Slot-T wore off a long time ago. There use to be a time when it surprised teams but those days are long gone.   They knew this and that's why they added the hurry-up wrinkle which is also no longer a surprise since lumberton ran it last year.

Face it, we dont have the players or the game plan to succeed .  

3 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

That offense worked like a charm I remembered.  One year you had a HUGE and mean oline that made it work in 2009.  I remember it worked when you had a special athlete running it in Quirante. You have to have one or the other to run it successfully.  Vidor haven’t had one or a combination of both in a while.  I say just run a conventional offense until those two components show themselves at the high school...

They have tried to add some wrinkles with the hurry up and now we run it out of the pistol, which takes something away from the hidden ball misdirection in my opinion. Teams are not fooled at all this year, they are stacking 8-9 on the line of scrimmage and sending more than we can block. The outside defenders are staying home and not biting on the fakes, we can’t get the edge. Our offense moves sideline to sideline instead of up the field. Best bet is to run power i up the middle when teams do that, maybe you can break one if you get past the first line of defenders. But nothing is going to work until we can execute the passing game consistently. Wide open passes have to be hit, there’s no excuse for an incompletion when no defender is within 10 yards of your receiver. 

7 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

They have tried to add some wrinkles with the hurry up and now we run it out of the pistol, which takes something away from the hidden ball misdirection in my opinion. Teams are not fooled at all this year, they are stacking 8-9 on the line of scrimmage and sending more than we can block. The outside defenders are staying home and not biting on the fakes, we can’t get the edge. Our offense moves sideline to sideline instead of up the field. Best bet is to run power i up the middle when teams do that, maybe you can break one if you get past the first line of defenders. But nothing is going to work until we can execute the passing game consistently. Wide open passes have to be hit, there’s no excuse for an incompletion when no defender is within 10 yards of your receiver. 

Never understood why they went to letting the QB receiving the ball from the shotgun. This is the first year we’ve ever done that. IMO that does take away from the misdirection. Your showing the ball, there’s no surprise!!!! Let’s just keep banging our head against the wall an when that doesn’t work let’s find a new wall to bang it against!! Good Grief!  I can understand doing it every once while but not every down. Rant over!

14 minutes ago, Realville said:

Never understood why they went to letting the QB receiving the ball from the shotgun. This is the first year we’ve ever done that. IMO that does take away from the misdirection. Your showing the ball, there’s no surprise!!!! Let’s just keep banging our head against the wall an when that doesn’t work let’s find a new wall to bang it against!! Good Grief!  I can understand doing it every once while but not every down. Rant over!

Yea I agree, we need multiple offensive sets. When you run everything out of the same formation it becomes very predictable. Then you suddenly put a receiver out wide or in split, they know something is up. For years I’ve been wanting them to come out in the base set and motion to different formations to throw the defense off. Run some power with a lead blocker, hell even line up in spread to run the ball every now and then.

As for going to a conventional offense, that’s not always the answer.   Ltown run the Slot T last year & ended up 8-4.   This year, in the conventional shotgun, they’re 1-6.   Whatever offense you run, you need the players.

And I’ve been preaching against this long snap since I first seen it.  Not only reduces offense surprise, but has cost Vidor a few fumbles.  I guess there is some advantage, but durn if I can see it.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

As for going to a conventional offense, that’s not always the answer.   Ltown run the Slot T last year & ended up 8-4.   This year, in the conventional shotgun, they’re 1-6.   Whatever offense you run, you need the players.

And I’ve been preaching against this long snap since I first seen it.  Not only reduces offense surprise, but has cost Vidor a few fumbles.  I guess there is some advantage, but durn if I can see it.

Yep

Vidor is the only team in setx that has got worse as the season has went by. The o cord. is a softball coach only reason he has that job is because he is a yes man to head coach. The head coach has wore his welcome out it is time for a change the program is going backwards and we continue to run that horrible offense we will lose players to other schools 

16 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

Vidor is the only team in setx that has got worse as the season has went by. The o cord. is a softball coach only reason he has that job is because he is a yes man to head coach. The head coach has wore his welcome out it is time for a change the program is going backwards and we continue to run that horrible offense we will lose players to other schools 

Where do you get your information? I think Jeff will be there til he is ready to go.