BH Vs. Kingwood Park

BHFAN

After an 0-2 start can the Eagles kickoff district with a home opening win? I think they will and have to if they want a shot at the DC! BH comes in losing two games By a combined 5 points to two 5A DIV1 opponents that are still undefeated. KWP is 1-2 against bigger opponents as well loosing 2 of the games both by large margins and their loan win coming against a struggling South Houston team by a score of 12-0. Last year BH beat KWP 42-35 After leading 28-0! Watching some film KWP looks to be struggling and throws the ball most of the time so BH secondary will have to play well. I see BH starting slow after a 2 week bi, but start clicking this game and win this by 14. Glad the BI is over and district is here 

So is it better to schedule two tough games like BH did and be 0-2 heading into district (but ideally they learned and grew from these close games) or is it better to schedule two easy games and be 2-0 headed into district (but realistically haven’t been challenged, but you have momentum) ? ??? I can see both sides. 

2 hours ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

So is it better to schedule two tough games like BH did and be 0-2 heading into district (but ideally they learned and grew from these close games) or is it better to schedule two easy games and be 2-0 headed into district (but realistically haven’t been challenged, but you have momentum) ? ??? I can see both sides. 

Yeah I think the two tough games should Put BH in good form early on in district. The QB and receivers were not clicking the first two games, so I’m hoping that improves. 

4 hours ago, Blockdownandkickout! said:

My attitude is that scheduling tough pre-district games helps a lot if your team is fundamentally strong. In such case, you get a taste of really good competition, you get sort of a playoff atmosphere, and the team gets a sense of what it takes to play against better teams, and you end up being more prepared for district. I don't think this strategy helps much if you're just not a good team. In other words, I don't think a tough preseason makes a bad team good, but it can make a good team better. So for BH, Crosby, and PNG (and Nederland to a lesser extent, since they were able to have only one really tough preseason opponent in Lufkin), the preseason seems to have been the right kind of preseason. 12-5a II is a true toss-up. 

For an example of using a preseason right, Silsbee has done a good job the last several seasons -- They schedule teams that are much better than them, and everyone writes them off when they start the season at 1-5, but then it turns out they picked up a lot of good experience and end up making a deep playoff run.