East Chambers 42 Buna 6/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Kind of a racist statement, no?  But this certainly helps:

Households in Winnie, TX have a median annual income of $46,560, which is less than the median annual income of $61,937 across the entire United States. This is in comparison to a median income of $45,318 in 2017, which represents a 2.74% annual growth.

The total population in Brock has increased by about 7.8 percent during the past eight years, moving from about 4,100 to 4,400, Smith said. Median income has also increased from $68,000 to about $77,600.

Racist?  No, I am basing my opinion on the results of sports played annually.  There's something to them communities and the whites that play up there somehow get different results than the whites that play down in southeast texas.  You say its salary related ? I wont argue that at all.  I think money wins championships, with the exception of WOS and Newton, right ?  And I only mention them two, because they are the only ones in our area that have RINGS and bunches of them, with years of tradition.  They somehow are an exception to the rule ?  And they dont even field white teams, but they are both Track University respectively.   I'm just thinking that the whites down in southeast texas (myself included) aren't accustom to what those types of communites are exposed to / prepare their kids for in life.  If thats income related, than so be it.  I"m not sure what it is and I'm only speculating at best.  Whatever it is, they are putting on a clinic every year.

10 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Racist?  No, I am basing my opinion on the results of sports played annually.  There's something to them communities and the whites that play up there somehow get different results than the whites that play down in southeast texas.  You say its salary related ? I wont argue that at all.  I think money wins championships, with the exception of WOS and Newton, right ?  And I only mention them two, because they are the only ones in our area that have RINGS and bunches of them, with years of tradition.  They somehow are an exception to the rule ?  And they dont even field white teams, but they are both Track University respectively.   I'm just thinking that the whites down in southeast texas (myself included) aren't accustom to what those types of communites are exposed to / prepare their kids for in life.  If thats income related, than so be it.  I"m not sure what it is and I'm only speculating at best.  Whatever it is, they are putting on a clinic every year.

There are always exceptions to the rule.  WOS and Newton have overwhelmingly athletic kids sometimes and sometimes the level of competition simply gets beat.  Average income or not.. a group of future D1 athletes can and will have success if the teams they're playing are slower, weaker, and/or smaller.  I bring up income because in cases all over the state, literally every year, you see teams of communities with money faring better than communities without.  Yes, there are players in southeast Texas that come from wealthy families.  But not many entire teams.  Think about a scenario where every single role player on an entire team has two working parents.  That player probably never has to worry about the next meal, the stability of living situation, probably gets to spend summers at speed/strength or sport specific camps instead of working, perhaps has academic tutors, etc..  You tell me if it makes a difference. 

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There are always exceptions to the rule.  WOS and Newton have overwhelmingly athletic kids sometimes and sometimes the level of competition simply gets beat.  Average income or not.. a group of future D1 athletes can and will have success if the teams they're playing are slower, weaker, and/or smaller.  I bring up income because in cases all over the state, literally every year, you see teams of communities with money faring better than communities without.  Yes, there are players in southeast Texas that come from wealthy families.  But not many entire teams.  Think about a scenario where every single role player on an entire team has two working parents.  That player probably never has to worry about the next meal, the stability of living situation, probably gets to spend summers at speed/strength or sport specific camps instead of working, perhaps has academic tutors, etc..  You tell me if it makes a difference. 

You are definitely helping me understand better.  It's something I have always pondered but never understood.  Without getting too deep into the twilight zone, I do know that there are different ethnicities of what is labelled the caucasain race all over the state and by appearance alone, their stature is much different.  I think this too contributes, but to what degree, I haven't a clue.

26 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

You are definitely helping me understand better.  It's something I have always pondered but never understood.  Without getting too deep into the twilight zone, I do know that there are different ethnicities of what is labelled the caucasain race all over the state and by appearance alone, their stature is much different.  I think this too contributes, but to what degree, I haven't a clue.

I'm not even talking about ethnicity at all.. just living condition.  A kid that has a healthy diet, ideal living conditions, the financial backing to travel the state/country for speed/strength/academic camps, does not have to work summers and weekends out of necessity, and has a seemingly endless support system will come out better than an identical kid (height, size, age) who doesn't have those.  Again.. there are always exceptions.  And there are plenty of kids with access to all of that who are average or worse athletically.. but money plays a huge factor.  There have even been studies done showing such.  I read a very interesting article recently on the differences between Austin Lake Travis (I think) high school and Austin High School.  Two schools within miles of each other with polar opposite football success over the last however many years.  You can go look at the student parking lots of each school and see some very vast differences without even seeing the teams.

Just to add to the conversation... I know a millionaire that has a $100,000 home gym with the best equipment that money can buy. His son plays football for a local school and goes to multiple camps every summer. The kid is by far the best on his team. But the coach doesn't like him because he doesn't work out in the school's weight room during the summer. So he's looking to transfer and they can afford to move anywhere they want. He wants to go to WOS. The sad thing is, at WOS he may not be a star. We got alot of talent every year. And some of our kids are working for a future. He just wants to win, doesn't have a worry in the world. Completely different worlds.

Ok I have been lurking for sometime and am fairly knew to the Winnie area.  My job transfers me about every 4 years so my kids know what it is like to have to change schools.  But when I got transferred to Port Arthur my wife and I decided that the best school for our kids was East Chambers  When you work in the plants or in a town that works near the plants you will have a better choice of athletes than if you are in the middle of the piney woods it is simple economics people move from places without jobs to places with jobs.  To think that a high school team has to have the same genepool for 50 years is just insane.     

My wife and I both grew up in Big Football towns of the 90's Freer and Refugio respectively and have fallen for this East Chambers Team.  First I have met some of these kids and the way you talk about these kids here is disrespectful.  That kid you are mad is faster than your team is one of the most respectful and liked kid in the high school.  The kid they had at Quarterback last year who broke his ankle against HF was the same.  I have seen this QB now grow from a Freshman that fought like hell against Grandview and had them on the ropes in the first half.  These kids wont be kids for long and it sounds like some of you need to stop being miserable and enjoy the gift that is Texas Football.  Trust me I have been all over and nothing beats 2A-4A Texas football.  To say that EC has not played anybody is not fair either.  They beat 3 4A schools in a row schools that have enrollment almost 50% higher.  Are you a coach?  Do you know how hard it is to schedule someone pre-district when you are a good team.  They had West Rusk on the schedule who is probably a better team that than anyone in the district but that was cancelled due to a hurricane.  A good portion of these kids are also still living in houses that had damage from the horrible flood last two years in Winnie.  Be the bigger man and just enjoy this team.  This Coach is not like some Coaches that will purposely run up the score.  Buna if you are mad stop them from scoring.  I mean the second team offence was in half of the game.  How is this fair to East Chambers they will have to be prepared to play full games in the playoffs.  Do you think the coach in Refugio who had a National stroy written about him takes his players out?  Does he go to State year after Year?        And I am just a Band Parent        

16 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Just to add to the conversation... I know a millionaire that has a $100,000 home gym with the best equipment that money can buy. His son plays football for a local school and goes to multiple camps every summer. The kid is by far the best on his team. But the coach doesn't like him because he doesn't work out in the school's weight room during the summer. So he's looking to transfer and they can afford to move anywhere they want. He wants to go to WOS. The sad thing is, at WOS he may not be a star. We got alot of talent every year. And some of our kids are working for a future. He just wants to win, doesn't have a worry in the world. Completely different worlds.

Yes and people seldom take things like this into account.  They just make blanket statements like, "Well why is Celina so different than Orangefield (example).. their kids look just like our kids".  Um.. yeah.  Maybe.  But.. have you ever been to that area of North Dallas?  Beautiful neighborhoods, brank new businesses, 24 hour accessibility to whatever you need, etc..  There are no "poor areas" in a lot of school districts.  

Again.. there are ALWAYS exceptions.  To deny that a kid's situation doesn't impact athletics/academics is just naïve, though. It's an unfair system that I don't see ever changing.  

2 hours ago, TXBBQDude said:

Ok I have been lurking for sometime and am fairly knew to the Winnie area.  My job transfers me about every 4 years so my kids know what it is like to have to change schools.  But when I got transferred to Port Arthur my wife and I decided that the best school for our kids was East Chambers  When you work in the plants or in a town that works near the plants you will have a better choice of athletes than if you are in the middle of the piney woods it is simple economics people move from places without jobs to places with jobs.  To think that a high school team has to have the same genepool for 50 years is just insane.     

My wife and I both grew up in Big Football towns of the 90's Freer and Refugio respectively and have fallen for this East Chambers Team.  First I have met some of these kids and the way you talk about these kids here is disrespectful.  That kid you are mad is faster than your team is one of the most respectful and liked kid in the high school.  The kid they had at Quarterback last year who broke his ankle against HF was the same.  I have seen this QB now grow from a Freshman that fought like hell against Grandview and had them on the ropes in the first half.  These kids wont be kids for long and it sounds like some of you need to stop being miserable and enjoy the gift that is Texas Football.  Trust me I have been all over and nothing beats 2A-4A Texas football.  To say that EC has not played anybody is not fair either.  They beat 3 4A schools in a row schools that have enrollment almost 50% higher.  Are you a coach?  Do you know how hard it is to schedule someone pre-district when you are a good team.  They had West Rusk on the schedule who is probably a better team that than anyone in the district but that was cancelled due to a hurricane.  A good portion of these kids are also still living in houses that had damage from the horrible flood last two years in Winnie.  Be the bigger man and just enjoy this team.  This Coach is not like some Coaches that will purposely run up the score.  Buna if you are mad stop them from scoring.  I mean the second team offence was in half of the game.  How is this fair to East Chambers they will have to be prepared to play full games in the playoffs.  Do you think the coach in Refugio who had a National stroy written about him takes his players out?  Does he go to State year after Year?        And I am just a Band Parent        

I have heard the same thing from the coaches in the press box, about the character of these kids.  That was the first two words that came out when I mentioned the QB.. "Great kid" He went on and on, we never got around to talking about his play on the field! LOL

3 hours ago, TXBBQDude said:

It is fair to say they haven’t played anyone. Yes they have beat 4A teams. I wasn’t attacking their scheduling by any means but it absolutely is a fair statement to say they haven’t had any competition. I could be wrong and @AggiesAreWe could correct me but I don’t believe all those 4A D2 have 50% more enrollment. That may be true for Lumberton. I’m not attacking the kids or the coaches either way it was just a fair observation.

14 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

It is fair to say they haven’t played anyone. Yes they have beat 4A teams. I wasn’t attacking their scheduling by any means but it absolutely is a fair statement to say they haven’t had any competition. I could be wrong and @AggiesAreWe could correct me but I don’t believe all those 4A D2 have 50% more enrollment. That may be true for Lumberton. I’m not attacking the kids or the coaches either way it was just a fair observation.

Hamshire-Fannett 4A II    577.5

Hardin-Jefferson 4A II     702

Lumberton 4A     1222

East Chambers 3A      442

7 hours ago, TXBBQDude said:

Did I miss a post where someone said Buna was mad about this game?

Guest ECBucFan
On 10/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, aTmfan06 said:

Grandview and Brock will be tough to beat.

EC won't have to deal with Brock until the Championship game. That could be tough but EC will run circles around them when they meet. I doubt Grandview can challenge EC this year.