East Chambers 42 Buna 6/FINAL

WOSgrad

27 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

That's exactly my issue.   Who cares who recruits who and where they go and why they go there.  What's the problem with it ?  I see no issue with it at all.

That destroys the integrity of high school sports. When I watch a high school game, I want to see homegrown kids from one community competing against homegrown kids from another community. I don’t want to see kids recruited from all over the place because that takes away from hometown pride and school pride. The game just won’t have the same feel anymore. If you want to recruit keep that at the private schools. Don’t ruin the whole game for programs who don’t wish to participate in that. 

17 minutes ago, Just an old Coach said:

Delusional!!  You've had an ax to grind against EC for a while.  Don't be mad because K'ville can't beat them, or is it because no one in their right mind would want to transfer to Kirbyville. 

The first 2 years in the same district Kirbyville did beat them but it’s hard to compete with a school with no boundaries. It happens here also. Bleak wood, trout creek and old Salem are all 3 closer to kirbyville but yet in Newton school district. 

12 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

The first 2 years in the same district Kirbyville did beat them but it’s hard to compete with a school with no boundaries. It happens here also. Bleak wood, trout creek and old Salem are all 3 closer to kirbyville but yet in Newton school district. 

It happens...get over it...I remember maybe 5 or 6 years ago a kid who didnt live on the west side of I-10 couldn't play football for the Beaumont Bulldogs when the kids on the Northside didnt have a team in that league. Eventually a program put a team on that side of I -10 in STJFL. If a parent wants better for there kid then you do what you have to do. I could see if the kid moved his Sr year and that was the missing piece but this kid has went there for 4 years and hes been doing all this since middle school and the parents didnt want him facing the problems of his older brother that was seeming to find them in strange circumstances. Teachers move for better and Coaches also but no one complains about it. Let them go where they want. When people realize that there child isn't competing against the kid across town for a scholarship but the kid across the U.S for 1 then they would be better understanding of putting in more work to help there child achieve his or her goals. This sounds like it could be a bitter relative of a teammate speaking for the parent about there nephew....Carry On...

47 minutes ago, SeTX_PLMR said:

All this over a transfer. Transfer or no transfers EC has been running this district 

I agree that some may be overreacting to a transfer or 2. I also agree that EC has been a good program for long as I can remember but I don’t know about all that “BEEN running this district” stuff. Over the last 10 or 15 years EC has probably finished 2nd or 3rd a lot more than they’ve been district champs. As for this year, yea it looks like they’re in complete controll as of now. 

11 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I agree that some may be overreacting to a transfer or 2. I also agree that EC has been a good program for long as I can remember but I don’t know about all that “BEEN running this district” stuff. Over the last 10 or 15 years EC has probably finished 2nd or 3rd a lot more than they’ve been district champs. As for this year, yea it looks like they’re in complete controll as of now. 

Mmm I wish there was a way to check on that. The only team I can think of been DC is Woodville. Last 15 years EC's had good teams and athletes. Some off the top of my head...Tramain Thomas, Vance McDonald, Eugene Leday, Ernest Ceaser has been through defenses the last 4 years 

13 minutes ago, SeTX_PLMR said:

Mmm I wish there was a way to check on that. The only team I can think of been DC is Woodville. Last 15 years EC's had good teams and athletes. Some off the top of my head...Tramain Thomas, Vance McDonald, Eugene Leday, Ernest Ceaser has been through defenses the last 4 years 

There was a 3-way tie between Kville, Buna, and EC in 2014. Kirbyville won the DC in 2015. Woodville won 16 and 17 although I think EC was in a different district at that time. Woodville won 18 with EC included in the same district. EC won last year and it looks like they’ll most likely win this year. Itll probably be some changes next year though 

2 hours ago, Setx fan said:

That destroys the integrity of high school sports. When I watch a high school game, I want to see homegrown kids from one community competing against homegrown kids from another community. I don’t want to see kids recruited from all over the place because that takes away from hometown pride and school pride. The game just won’t have the same feel anymore. If you want to recruit keep that at the private schools. Don’t ruin the whole game for programs who don’t wish to participate in that. 

What if you’re a kid whose parents’ jobs make them move every few years? Should you be banned from sports?

Just now, Setx fan said:

No, that stuff happens all the time. I’m talking about programs actively recruiting kids not kids moving for their own reasons. 

Ok. I just don’t know how you could effectively enforce it. Parents lie or kid “moves in” with aunt in the district. Been going on for decades. I don’t think it’s huge though. Maybe I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Ok. I just don’t know how you could effectively enforce it. Parents lie or kid “moves in” with aunt in the district. Been going on for decades. I don’t think it’s huge though. Maybe I’m wrong. 

IDK. I just think when you have multiple kids transferring to a school, especially on a consistent year to year basis, the UIL or whoever needs to really try and dig into it to find out what’s going on. If you just continue to let it happen and there’s no pressure being applied behind it more programs will get more comfortable and more bold. Next thing you know everybody’s recruiting and high school sports as we know it no longer exist

19 hours ago, Setx fan said:

IDK. I just think when you have multiple kids transferring to a school, especially on a consistent year to year basis, the UIL or whoever needs to really try and dig into it to find out what’s going on. If you just continue to let it happen and there’s no pressure being applied behind it more programs will get more comfortable and more bold. Next thing you know everybody’s recruiting and high school sports as we know it no longer exist

Well, I don't see it the way you see it.  Your version of HS sports "watching the hometown" kids compete and not lose their starting positions by a kid who is better makes no sense to me.  If a kid can get to and from the school, not cause trouble and be a contributing factor, let them IN, no matter the circumstances.  Once again, I see nothing wrong with it and I think it should happen sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

Well, I don't see it the way you see it.  Your version of HS sports "watching the hometown" kids compete and not lose their starting positions by a kid who is better makes no sense to me.  If a kid can get to and from the school, not cause trouble and be a contributing factor, let them IN, no matter the circumstances.  Once again, I see nothing wrong with it and I think it should happen sooner rather than later.

My problem with it is a financial one. Kids attending school and using district tax dollars to fund their education and extra curricular activities (like football) without paying taxes in that district. The other people who live there pick up the tab. 

3 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

That's a very slippery slope you are talking about.

Next thing you will know that schools or "handlers" will start offering monetary reasons for a kid to transfer to another school just to play sports.

I am all about a family making a decision to move out of a bad situation to better themselves. That includes sending their children to what they think is a better school or situation. But, do it within the rules of transfer.

The taxpayer part is a very good point.

35 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

My problem with it is a financial one. Kids attending school and using district tax dollars to fund their education and extra curricular activities (like football) without paying taxes in that district. The other people who live there pick up the tab. 

I agree with this 100%

5 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

If you don’t see a problem with a team selecting players from all over the place competing against teams who use what they have then you probably just don’t understand the concept of a level playing field. There’s a league that exist for programs who like to recruit. If you want to be a part of that then feel free and join. If the kid can do all those things then he could probably do it at the school within the district he lives also. 

2 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

If you don’t see a problem with a team selecting players from all over the place competing against teams who use what they have then you probably just don’t understand the concept of a level playing field. There’s a league that exist for programs who like to recruit. If you want to be a part of that then feel free and join. If the kid can do all those things then he could probably do it at the school within the district he lives also. 

Not my point whatsoever.  My argument is for a kid(s) to go to the school of their choosing.  If you see it as teams recruiting, thats your outlook.  My thoughts are directed for and at the kid, who wants to go where they want to go....period.   

On 10/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, SmashMouth said:

It’s up to the school district. Some require you to reside in the district in which you attend school, while others do not. That ruling is enforced by the TEA and other governing bodies; therefore, my “Not always...” comment is correct. 

From the TEA website:

Can my child attend school in District A, even though we live in District B? 

Generally, a child must attend the school district in which he or she resides. School districts can make transfer agreements to accept each others' students. Transfer arrangements may also result from wealth-sharing arrangements under Chapter 41 of the Texas Education Code. For more information, contact your school district or the TEA Division of State Funding at (512) 463-9238.

Some campuses won’t allow it while others will. It’s their choice. 

A lot of schools offer open enrollment for out of district transfers.  Many always have.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, mrtomcat said:

Not my point whatsoever.  My argument is for a kid(s) to go to the school of their choosing.  If you see it as teams recruiting, thats your outlook.  My thoughts are directed for and at the kid, who wants to go where they want to go....period.   

As long as that school accepts out of district transfers (most do), then a kid can go to a school of their choosing.  If it’s truly for a better academic situation, which is a legitimate reason, then the child should have no problem sitting a calendar year for UIL eligibility.  If they’re going to be on a better team.. then they need to wait a year.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, Uncle Pig said:

That can dang sure make you look great 

I've watched enough HS football as have a lot of folks on this board to know when you see speed. 

Every game I've watched this year EC looked to have the fastest 2 kids on the field and probably 7 or 8 of the fastest 10.  

Thanks Beaumont and thanks to the rest of SETX for being so bad to make EC look so good. I'm sure that's what it is.