Jasper @ LC-M

Bulldogs92

1 hour ago, j_dog said:

But on recruiting, I understand not a single Southwest Conference team made him an offer.  Reportedly, the first SW conference team he got to play while at Lamar:. University of Houston.  Result: 14 unassisted tackles.  You think there was not some buyer's remorse?

I was too young to remember any of that, but UH should have absolutely recruited him. It's weird to me because at that time, the Bulldogs were pretty dang good. There are a few of those guys that should have gotten a chance to play somewhere halfway decent. 

1 hour ago, j_dog said:

But on recruiting, I understand not a single Southwest Conference team made him an offer.  Reportedly, the first SW conference team he got to play while at Lamar:. University of Houston.  Result: 14 unassisted tackles.  You think there was not some buyer's remorse?

Here's the write-up that LU has on him:

This is the hidden content, please

2 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I was too young to remember any of that, but UH should have absolutely recruited him. It's weird to me because at that time, the Bulldogs were pretty dang good. There are a few of those guys that should have gotten a chance to play somewhere halfway decent. 

I was there watching.  I was also fortunate to get to visit with him for a couple minutes while the Oilers had their training camp in San Antonio.  For the Oilers, he was listed at 5'9', and 250 pounds!  He was a terror on the kickoff and punting teams.  Glanville, the Oiler head coach then, said in the first ten yards, there was no one faster in all the NFL.  Just imagine a little return back getting leveled by a 250 pound bowling ball.  Must have hurt.  But he probably was not recruited by the major colleges because he did not fit the "prototype".  Not tall enough, etc. but they did not stop to measure his heart.

25 minutes ago, j_dog said:

I was there watching.  I was also fortunate to get to visit with him for a couple minutes while the Oilers had their training camp in San Antonio.  For the Oilers, he was listed at 5'9', and 250 pounds!  He was a terror on the kickoff and punting teams.  Glanville, the Oiler head coach then, said in the first ten yards, there was no one faster in all the NFL.  Just imagine a little return back getting leveled by a 250 pound bowling ball.  Must have hurt.  But he probably was not recruited by the major colleges because he did not fit the "prototype".  Not tall enough, etc. but they did not stop to measure his heart.

He came by two-a-days in '90 when I was a junior. Pretty impressive guy. I wonder what he's doing these days. 

21 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

We haven't had to throw a lot, but our passing game isn't bad at all. Adams has been really solid so far, but he's definitely more of the game manager type from what I can tell. They don't feature him a lot in their play calling. 

Until you need a 4th and goal from the 6 yard line ‘Philly Special’ to seal the victory. 

On 9/28/2020 at 12:52 PM, JasperDAWG said:

to be completely honest, Carthage has no weakness. I am a JASPERDAWG for life thru&thru, but I am not looking forward to October 16th whatsoever.

Other than maybe West Brook, I doubt anyone in the area could handle Carthage.

Only thing that might help LCM, Jasper might have a let down after the Vidor game.   That may make it closer than what folks think.  Maybe Jasper by three TDs. 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, Bulldogs92 said:

I have no idea if anyone's even looking at him. For some reason, big colleges don't look at our guys very often. We had a guy that just graduated this year that was every bit as good as Limbrick and I never heard a word about him going anywhere. 

We VERY seldom get Div 1 offers for our kids.  Our coaching staff does ZERO to help them get recruited.  We have not had a kid go Big School D1 since Terrell Cuney at Texas and he has graduated and is Coaching in Burkeville I believe.

4 minutes ago, JasperDAWG said:

*Terrell Cuney went to UT.                   his the cousin to:

Terrence "Tiki" Cuney #36 played RB (has DI talent & size as well) 5'11" 230lbs and hella wheels, if couldn't run away from ya, he just run over ya. his twin  brother DeAnthony was a baller as well.

Correct... I had the wrong Cuney... but my point remains the same.  Jasper is LOADED with Division 1 talent year in and year out and we never place kids in big schools.  WOS and Silsbee have very similar talent levels...just look at these kids as they play against each other from pee wee to junior high to high school... always compete against each other, yet Silsbee and WOS send multiple kids to D1 EVERY year!

3 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Correct... I had the wrong Cuney... but my point remains the same.  Jasper is LOADED with Division 1 talent year in and year out and we never place kids in big schools.  WOS and Silsbee have very similar talent levels...just look at these kids as they play against each other from pee wee to junior high to high school... always compete against each other, yet Silsbee and WOS send multiple kids to D1 EVERY year!

Newton has built a pipeline as well.

6 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Do you think academics play apart of the recruiting process? 

2 minutes ago, LC-M said:

Do you think academics play apart of the recruiting process? 

Absolutely not!  I guarantee the athletes in Silsbee, WOS, and Newton are not any better or worse academically than Jasper... plus, D1 schools honestly don't care about academics.  Let's be honest.  They want stud athletes!  They have lots of resources to help a kid academically... but coaches have to help these kids get noticed.  Big schools spend most of their time recruiting the big cities.  5A and 6A schools.  Plus with the internet, the can recruit right from their desk with all of the recruiting services out there... but again... the coaches have to get film of the players on these sites!

3 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

We VERY seldom get Div 1 offers for our kids.  Our coaching staff does ZERO to help them get recruited.  We have not had a kid go Big School D1 since Terrell Cuney at Texas and he has graduated and is Coaching in Burkeville I believe.

To me, this has been the case in Jasper for several decades. We'll occasionally have a guy go to a big D1 school, but the majority either go to SLC schools (McNeese or SFA usually) or smaller schools than those. Why is it different for us than some of the other really good smaller high schools in the area? I'm just picking your brain since you've coached and I know less about how these things work. 

29 minutes ago, Phisical Atmosphere said:

I was really impressed with Jaspers RB Limbrick. If he is determined then watch out. Their offense looked really really basic but that's all they need.

Having a guy like Limbrick that is durable and also a gamebreaker is a huge advantage against most teams, but the Bulldogs will need to diversify the offense some against some of the good teams in our district. Center is pretty good from what I can tell and Rusk seems to be a decent team, but we all know that Carthage is the team to beat.

We've played them in the past with good teams and have gotten run off the field. That can't happen anymore. We have to be ready to play.