Montgomery Lake Creek 77 Dayton 21/FINAL

WOSgrad

55 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Never quite able to get that state title though. LaMarque (like Dayton) is another example of a team that has been completely destroyed by something. I’m not sure that an Hispanic invasion has destroyed that program like it did in Dayton, but man they have certainly fallen off. 

I blame Hurricane Ike, folks started moving away plus add in the adults acting a fool in administration with that old situation they had and now you have the new LM in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I blame Hurricane Ike, folks started moving away plus add in the adults acting a fool in administration with that old situation they had and now you have the new LM in my opinion. 

Maybe Stewart saw the writing on the wall years ago?

You saw documentation on all these "illegals"? Come on, man.

The Broncos threw 4 interceptions and fumbled once in the first half. That's not a demographic issue. They're working to rectify those things. The coaches will coach the kids up. Dayton's got some good groups coming up that includes some talented Hispanic kids. Kids born in the states. Give me a break with that nonsense.

There might be some handfuls of illegal citizens, but the majority of those that you're generalizing, have the proper paperwork, are here for the right reasons and their children (many born here) are achieving good things in spite of their circumstances. Those breaking the law are being removed as well as can be expected. That's affected someone close to me, so I know that for a fact.    

And for the Danaher/CC Calallen commenters... That team would wipe the floor with plenty of more "talented" teams in this area on any given year. Coaches gotta coach the kids they've got. Dayton knows that and will do that. What a weak cop out!!!

On 9/26/2020 at 5:41 PM, Uncle Pig said:

The Hispanic invasion has destroyed Dayton football. 

Hispanics are now 52% of Texas public high schools.  That’s probably higher in Region 4.  But, many of these kids were born here in the USA. Their parents may have been immigrants.  Yes, Soccer may still be the top sport among Hispanics, but the kids born and raised here like football too. Not sure why Hispanics are still considered a minority group at this point.  

1 hour ago, Eazy said:

Hispanics are now 52% of Texas public high schools.  That’s probably higher in Region 4.  But, many of these kids were born here in the USA. Their parents may have been immigrants.  Yes, Soccer may still be the top sport among Hispanics, but the kids born and raised here like football too. Not sure why Hispanics are still considered a minority group at this point.  

Never said they were the minority or that they didn’t like football; they’re just not very good at football 

5 hours ago, dayton said:

You saw documentation on all these "illegals"? Come on, man.

The Broncos threw 4 interceptions and fumbled once in the first half. That's not a demographic issue. They're working to rectify those things. The coaches will coach the kids up. Dayton's got some good groups coming up that includes some talented Hispanic kids. Kids born in the states. Give me a break with that nonsense.

There might be some handfuls of illegal citizens, but the majority of those that you're generalizing, have the proper paperwork, are here for the right reasons and their children (many born here) are achieving good things in spite of their circumstances. Those breaking the law are being removed as well as can be expected. That's affected someone close to me, so I know that for a fact.    

And for the Danaher/CC Calallen commenters... That team would wipe the floor with plenty of more "talented" teams in this area on any given year. Coaches gotta coach the kids they've got. Dayton knows that and will do that. What a weak cop out!!!

What’s your reasoning behind Dayton not being as good? I mean let’s face it they’ve never been a “dynasty” but they were at least somewhat successful back in the day. 

On 9/26/2020 at 9:36 PM, coach bear said:

Funny that one of the winningest coaches in Texas, Phil Danaher has proven this theory wrong, Refugio anyone, sounds more like an EXCUSE. Always blame kids to protect the coach. I saw it as a player in 70’s and now for 35 years as a coach. Why do we always make keep putting the responsible game on players and not adults, asking for another coaching friend. Guess I am sounding more like 14.2 that is often correct. Speck in another’s eye doesn’t compare to the log in mine.

Smh, Man Coach I just wasn’t going to point anything like that out in this environment. What I will say is how it’s odd that both Crosby and Dayton have experienced a demographic shift, yet Cosby views is as having access to additional athletes but some Dayton folk not so much? 

Funny how I never heard mention of that when Juan Carranco was an all-state kicker and signal caller Andres Herrera had them in the 3rd round. I believe he was actually the last Dayton to also beat Crosby, and you know how much weight that carries down HWY 90. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

What’s your reasoning behind Dayton not being as good? I mean let’s face it they’ve never been a “dynasty” but they were at least somewhat successful back in the day. 

I’d say talent IS a big factor. It takes special talent for deep playoff runs, which we’re probably a little short on, but I believe there is plenty there to be competitive. I realize I’m in the minority there, but even teams with a downturn in talent can execute and compete. I don’t have the answer for why that hasn’t happened. I just don’t believe “illegals” are the root of it. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Smh, Man Coach I just wasn’t going to point anything like that out in this environment. What I will say is how it’s odd that both Crosby and Dayton have experienced a demographic shift, yet Cosby views is as having access to additional athletes but some Dayton folk not so much? 

Funny how I never heard mention of that when Juan Carranco was an all-state kicker and signal caller Andres Herrera had them in the 3rd round. I believe he was actually the last Dayton to also beat Crosby, and you know how much weight that carries down HWY 90. 

Herrera also threw to a pretty good receiver named Armando Reyes! Lol

Like I said. Weak cop out.

13 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You're using a kicker as an example?  

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

You're using a kicker as an example?  

A Kicker,QB and WR, just to name a few. A kicker who scored all of Daytons points vs a good PNG team to get a playoff win. Hispanic is not the reason why Dayton is down were down because the program has been trashed for 8 yrs. by sub par and incompetent coaching since Steward left. Our new coach can't change that over night give him some time and he's going to right the ship he's a good man and coach.

52 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

Back on topic....Lake creek plays porter this week, think they put up 50+ again? Porter I think barely beat Dayton last year. Guess we'll see if Dayton is really that bad or lake creek really that good.

Lions have 31 seniors with most of them having 20+ games of varsity experience. Tough matchup for a team learning under a new coach. Broncos have a few skill guys that can play, 21, 22, 16, 7 all pretty good players. Line has to block better for those guys but I think the new coach will get them going in the right direction.

43 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

Back on topic....Lake creek plays porter this week, think they put up 50+ again? Porter I think barely beat Dayton last year. Guess we'll see if Dayton is really that bad or lake creek really that good.

Apples and Oranges - LK Creek and Porter will be a close game. Dayton imploded first rattle out of the box and it snow balled from there. Obviously Dayton isn't a playoff team at this point but will improve.

4 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

Apples and Oranges - LK Creek and Porter will be a close game. Dayton imploded first rattle out of the box and it snow balled from there. Obviously Dayton isn't a playoff team at this point but will improve.

Agreed, this matchup will be a better gauge of where Lake Creek is at. LC and New Caney went toe to toe in their scrimmage. I feel like those two teams are evenly matched this year.

1 minute ago, GIJonesy said:

Agreed, this matchup will be a better gauge of where Lake Creek is at. LC and New Caney went toe to toe in their scrimmage. I feel like those two teams are evenly matched this year.

I think LKC will be fine they have a gnarly- gritty team ! Reminds me of some of the Friendswood playoff teams we played in the past.

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

A Kicker,QB and WR, just to name a few. A kicker who scored all of Daytons points vs a good PNG team to get a playoff win. Hispanic is not the reason why Dayton is down were down because the program has been trashed for 8 yrs. by sub par and incompetent coaching since Steward left. Our new coach can't change that over night give him some time and he's going to right the ship he's a good man and coach.

I was just meaning that it's a little funny.  "The Hispanic influx hasn't had an impact on our football team.  See.. we had a Hispanic All State kicker."  A previous comment alluded to soccer usually being the sport of choice for said demographic.  And then you throw out a kicker lol.  I just thought it ironic and a little humorous.

Yes, I'll agree that there are usually a number of variables that play a role into a usual competitive football program falling off.  Shift of demographics still has to be considered.