Crosby vs George Ranch

Cougar14.2

Welp, so much for the Cougars trying to ease into the season. Crosby gets their opener with Carthage cancelled and Coach Prieto chooses to replaces them with even stiffer competition in the George Ranch Longhorns. The Longhorns finished 5-7 last year losing to Humble in the 2nd round of the 6A-D2 playoffs. Crosby finished 6-6 in Jerry Prieto’s first opportunity as the lead guy. 

Just like Crosby, George Ranch brings back their leading passer, rusher and receiver. GR will have the advantage on both lines of scrimmage and also have two of the better offensive prospects on the southwest side of town in junior running back Hymond Drinkard and Baylor commit Javon Gipson at wide receiver. Crosby should be able to hold their own at the offensive skill positions but like most years they’ll only go as far as the defense will allow. 

Good test for both teams in the season opener albeit for two different reasons. 

8 hours ago, coach bear said:

Should be a good one, you gonna be there 14.2? I'm going to drive up from the Woodlands. Do you know if Brian Samuels son the sophomore receiver is on the varsity. What is your prediction for the year?

Yes sir, I will most definitely be there. Going to put a few miles on the old Dodge over the next couple days as I’ll also be in Richmond tomorrow to see one of my little guys get his first high school carries. 

Yes, Samuel’s namesake is on varsity and from everything I can tell starts at one of the inside receiver positions. They moved him up last year at the end of his freshman season, saw him getting some run against Willowridge in the playoffs. I expect him to be Crosby’s next FBS recruit at the wr position. 

Crosby will field one of their more talented teams in recent memory this year. I expect them to win the district but considering the first two games I think 9-4 or 10-3 would be a solid overall year. The offense is going to be very good. I just don’t know if the defense, and in particular the secondary, can hold up with as much as they’re probably going to be on the field. Now, if they come out Thursday night and beat GR I would consider that the best win of any of the top ten in 5A-D2 and instantly elevate expectations barring injuries. 

16 hours ago, Cougar239 said:

This should be a good one. GR usually has a solid team and this match up will be just what the Coogs needs.

I would’ve much rather put 50 on one of the Baytown schools or one of the 6As from HISD and used it like an extra week of preparation for Manvel. But yeah, GR still has the same type kids that won the 5A-D1 title in 2015 so this will definitely be a test for Crosby. 

Definitely a tough game to start the year. Being the 1st game anything can happen, but GR will give the cougars a early look of just where they stand. If the Cougs pull out the win it will definitely     put the district on notice. Should be a great game

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I would’ve much rather put 50 on one of the Baytown schools or one of the 6As from HISD and used it like an extra week of preparation for Manvel. But yeah, GR still has the same type kids that won the 5A-D1 title in 2015 so this will definitely be a test for Crosby. 

I  would have liked to see Crosby play a Baytown school as well. Preferably GCM because I think that's the best of the three. But GR is a better opponent for the style of program Crosby wants to have going forward. They need strong opposition if this team wants to win district and make a run into the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Opening against Carthage was hardly "easing into the season." That would be a tough out for most good teams in the state. 

I believe he's talking more in terms about the team that replaced Carthage, playing a Baytown school i would think is easier than facing George Ranch out the gate. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Guest Aledoalumni
On 9/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

Yes sir, I will most definitely be there. Going to put a few miles on the old Dodge over the next couple days as I’ll also be in Richmond tomorrow to see one of my little guys get his first high school carries. 

Yes, Samuel’s namesake is on varsity and from everything I can tell starts at one of the inside receiver positions. They moved him up last year at the end of his freshman season, saw him getting some run against Willowridge in the playoffs. I expect him to be Crosby’s next FBS recruit at the wr position. 

Crosby will field one of their more talented teams in recent memory this year. I expect them to win the district but considering the first two games I think 9-4 or 10-3 would be a solid overall year. The offense is going to be very good. I just don’t know if the defense, and in particular the secondary, can hold up with as much as they’re probably going to be on the field. Now, if they come out Thursday night and beat GR I would consider that the best win of any of the top ten in 5A-D2 and instantly elevate expectations barring injuries. 

You did expect them to be playing in December. Guess the joke is on me. You'll be right.