Vidor at Jasper

Boneyard Boys

28 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

You guys are a good group of fans. I'll be honest and say that I don't really pay a lot of attention to other teams unless we play them a lot, so Vidor was off the radar for me. Hopefully, you guys will become regulars on our pre-district schedule. 

Yes sir, we need to be playing you guys and Silsbee every year in pre-district to see where we stand in 4A overall. The WOS match up has been yearly but I think both teams are fine with keeping that scheduled as the last scrimmage.

Just now, Boneyard Boys said:

Yes sir, we need to be playing you guys and Silsbee every year in the preseason to see where we stand in 4A overall. The WOS match up has been yearly but I think they are fine with keeping that scheduled as the last scrimmage.

I think it's good for all teams to schedule teams that are either on par or perceived to be better than they are. Back during our most successful run in the 80's, we used to schedule a couple of decent 5A teams out of Houston, Huntsville (also 5A at the time) when they were really good and then WO-S before district play. We won most of those games and those gave us confidence to do well in our district every year. 

Football in Southeast Texas at that time was arguably the most competitive in the state and there were some years that the tough pre-district schedule helped us make pretty good playoff runs and others where we would run into powerhouses like WO-S and PNG and get bounced out early. 

Weak scheduling usually hurts teams more than it helps them. 

So the next victory for the Pirates will be Coach Mathews 100th win at Vidor. I’m going to go ahead and pencil that in for Homecoming vs Splendora in 2 weeks. Hell I might write that in pen or permanent marker but I want to look at some of their tape first.

Edit: The record posted earlier in the thread is probably wrong, I think he already hit the 💯 win mark last season. Can anyone clarify how many wins Coach Mathews has?

Edited by Boneyard Boys
Wrong info?

10 hours ago, JasperDAWG said:

or MAYBE my friend you are incorrect. the JM era at Vidor started in 1999.  during that time 1999 thru 2019 the Pirates have 99 wins to 112 losses.

the points for Vidor in those 211 games = 5385

the points against Vidor in those  211 games = 4993

So really those point totals dont reflect a team that is 13 games under .500 during that 20 year span.  

they are 2-1  this season.

Are these records correct? Now that I’ve already made a post about the 100th win milestone, I remember a celebration last year regarding wins for Coach Mathews. I think he already hit that mark because there would have been some kind of talk about him going for 100 Ws on the road at Jasper.

59 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

This says 99 career wins also but I could swear he hit 100 in the final game of last season. That would put him at 102 right now. Who knows, anyone?

488977E7-F305-49CF-994E-2786DCFF7E8F.jpeg

Mathews last win was the last game against Dayton, I remember the school page congratulating him on the milestone. 

10 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is the hidden content, please

It matches what I found. Not including this season.

I guess we had a premature celebration last season then... somebody’s math was wrong. 

Congratulations on your 100th career win Coach Mathews! 

Opening game at home vs Brazosport in overtime, better late than never.

Now I’m mad... we could have had a big celebration for him after that game.