Vidor at Jasper

Boneyard Boys

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Looks like the weather will be great Friday night.  Will be a great venue for HS football.

It would be better if the Dawgs were still playing at the Alamo (or Dawg House as we old schoolers called it). I get why the district decided to do that, but I'm still bitter.  I guess I'm becoming a "get off my lawn" type at the ripe old age of 47. 😁😁

I haven't been to the new stadium because I don't live there anymore, but there's no way the atmosphere is the same. 

Watching some Jasper highlights, their running backs have some speed. They like to run to the outside and work the edges. QB looks athletic and he can throw it a little bit too. If their offensive line can block well then this will be a good challenge for the Vidor defense. Still think the Pirates step up to the challenge and win another close one.

12 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

It would be better if the Dawgs were still playing at the Alamo (or Dawg House as we old schoolers called it). I get why the district decided to do that, but I'm still bitter.  I guess I'm becoming a "get off my lawn" type at the ripe old age of 47. 😁😁

I haven't been to the new stadium because I don't live there anymore, but there's no way the atmosphere is the same. 

Atmosphere is good in my opinion.  And the artificial turf lets Jasper better capitalize on its usual abundance of speed.  I understand Jasper has re-loaded on speed this year.  Carl Limbrick for sure.  By the way, how does he relate back to All-State RB Johnny Limbrick back in the early seventies?  1969 and 1970 if I remember correctly.  I bet Silsbee fans remember him.  I would guess there is a connection.  I think it is something in that Jasper water!

3 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Watching some Jasper highlights, their running backs have some speed. They like to run to the outside and work the edges. QB looks athletic and he can throw it a little bit too. If their offensive line can block well then this will be a good challenge for the Vidor defense. Still think the Pirates step up to the challenge and win another close one.

From what little I saw (Newton highlights) they looked great, but (there’s always a “But”) Newton’s defensive line looked awful small, so there were big holes for the RB, and the QB had all day to pass.   I suspect it’ll be a little different Friday night.  

For instance, Bat City’s 3 previous games rushing/Average, then Vidor.

Sweeny - 223 - 7.7

Edna - 324 - 9.3

Wharton - 218 - 6.1

Vidor - 107 - 3.7

Understand, I’m not saying Vidor will completely shutdown the Bulldogs rushing,  with their backs, that’d be a tall order.  It’s just not going to be as easy.   As with most games, the guys up front will make ya or break ya.

29 minutes ago, Hagar said:

From what little I saw (Newton highlights) they looked great, but (there’s always a “But”) Newton’s defensive line looked awful small, so there were big holes for the RB, and the QB had all day to pass.   I suspect it’ll be a little different Friday night.  

For instance, Bat City’s 3 previous games rushing/Average, then Vidor.

Sweeny - 223 - 7.7

Edna - 324 - 9.3

Wharton - 218 - 6.1

Vidor - 107 - 3.7

Understand, I’m not saying Vidor will completely shutdown the Bulldogs rushing,  with their backs, that’d be a tall order.  It’s just not going to be as easy.   As with most games, the guys up front will make ya or break ya.

Good point, there was a lot of talk about how good the Brazosport and Bay City running backs were going in to the Vidor game and rightfully so, they had great stats but the Pirates controlled the line of scrimmage and shut their backs down for the most part. Those teams got most of their ground yardage from the QB position and both had good athletic quarterbacks that could scramble. Hopefully we can force the Jasper QB to be a runner because if their RBs go off for big yardage it could spell trouble.

35 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Good point, there was a lot of talk about how good the Brazosport and Bay City running backs were going in to the Vidor game and rightfully so, they had great stats but the Pirates controlled the line of scrimmage and shut their backs down for the most part. Those teams got most of their ground yardage from the QB position and both had good athletic quarterbacks that could scramble. Hopefully we can force the Jasper QB to be a runner because if their RBs go off for big yardage it could spell trouble.

Brazosport nor Bay City have a running back anywhere close to Limbrick. Their quarterbacks were most effective not only against a Vidor but in the games prior also. I don’t think Vidor will allow as many big plays but Jasper’s running game should still be effective. The real problem for Jasper may be their defense. I saw some clips from the first half against HJ and it looked horrible and very undisciplined. 

1 hour ago, Boneyard Boys said:

The problem, which I failed to check into is that the two coaches at Brazosport and Bay city had a combined record of 25 and 56.  Bay City coach was 4-16.  Vidor coach was 99-112,.  So advantage went to Vidor.   Jasper coach is 145-78.  So -- in this game advantage goes to Jasper.  Semi as much as they want!   😃

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

The problem, which I failed to check into is that the two coaches at Brazosport and Bay city had a combined record of 25 and 56.  Bay City coach was 4-16.  Vidor coach was 99-112,.  So advantage went to Vidor.   Jasper coach is 145-78.  So -- in this game advantage goes to Jasper.  Semi as much as they want!   😃

😵 not so fast my friend...

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I don't know what Barbay's record is in Jasper, but he has won most of those 145 there and lost most of the 78 before he got there. If the game is close at halftime, that plays into Jasper's hands. He and his staff have been really good with halftime adjustments. H-J did have a good first half, but they couldn't do much at all in the second half and they were shut out 25-0. 

Having said that, we know that Vidor is a better team than H-J and that Jasper can't afford to play poorly early. As good as their adjustments are, they don't always matter when you're trying to dig out of a hole. 

Looking forward to this one. Go Dawgs!

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

I don't know what Barbay's record is in Jasper, but he has won most of those 145 there and lost most of the 78 before he got there. If the game is close at halftime, that plays into Jasper's hands. He and his staff have been really good with halftime adjustments. H-J did have a good first half, but they couldn't do much at all in the second half and they were shut out 25-0. 

Having said that, we know that Vidor is a better team than H-J and that Jasper can't afford to play poorly early. As good as their adjustments are, they don't always matter when you're trying to dig out of a hole. 

Before Jasper -- his record was:  74-53

1 hour ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Good post.   I must admit that Jasper posters, as a group, are some of the best.  Not a lot of smack talk, just the facts.   

Game will be a great test for both teams.  Exemplifies what HS Football is all about.

4 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Good post.   I must admit that Jasper posters, as a group, are some of the best.  Not a lot of smack talk, just the facts.   

Game will be a great test for both teams.  Exemplifies what HS Football is all about.

Appreciate that. We're a small group, but we try to call it like it is. Every now and then someone will join and start stuff, but we run them off pretty quickly. 

Just now, Boneyard Boys said:

I hope it’s a slobber knocker all the way to the end because that would be fun to watch and also because that would be Vidors best chance to win. I’ll keep you updated on every play NC.

Everyone on here knows you will! Thank you for that by the way. Sometimes it's hard for this old codger to keep up you type so fast! 😂