22-5a Standings

7 hours ago, joebob said:

It was a good game but RSS blew it.....I think this pretty much eliminates them from playoff contention. 

30 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

GCM made almost every play and Kotlarz was huge. First time I've seen her drop the hammer like that.

Happy for GCM.  They are have hardworking core in Herrera, Martinez and Kotlarz.  However, there is no reason RSS should have dropped two games to them this season.  Kotlarz might be the best player in this area, including BH, but RSS had overall more talent to work with than GCM.  I think it just goes to show that, especially in HS sports, coaching and schemes can overcome a deficits in talent and depth. 

1 hour ago, TWH99 said:

Sterling and GCM's performance this season were surprising, for opposite reasons.  I think Sterling's season could only be described as disappointing.  Any opinions on what went wrong for the Rangers?

Two thoughts: 

1. Sterling lost some close 5 set matches, where if they had won that 5th set they are in the playoffs. But that is the beauty of volleyball. 

2. Sterling is in a much more competitive volleyball district than they have been accustomed to when they were in 6a. One could argue that 22-5a is one of the toughest districts across the state. If you remember last year FW, SF, TC, GCM, and Crosby won thirty plus games. Now obviously you lose Crosby to 21-5a but you add the likes of Sterling, LP, and Manvel and that is a tough district where every game counts. 

1 hour ago, SetHaGoEagles! said:

Two thoughts: 

1. Sterling lost some close 5 set matches, where if they had won that 5th set they are in the playoffs. But that is the beauty of volleyball. 

2. Sterling is in a much more competitive volleyball district than they have been accustomed to when they were in 6a. One could argue that 22-5a is one of the toughest districts across the state. If you remember last year FW, SF, TC, GCM, and Crosby won thirty plus games. Now obviously you lose Crosby to 21-5a but you add the likes of Sterling, LP, and Manvel and that is a tough district where every game counts. 

Understood about the district they entered this year.  I didn't expect them to compete for 1st or 2nd has FW and Manvel were favorites for those positions. Even 3rd would have been a stretch to beat out a team like Texas City, but I did fully expect them to compete closely for 4th; especially seeing how Santa Fe and La Porte looked compared to last season.  I just thought Sterling returned with too much talent to not make a serious push for a bottom half playoff spot.  The two losses to GCM and subsequent loss to LP were just very surprising to me.

That being said, I think a team like GCM played above their overall talent level (obviously the core three are very good) to win almost all the games they should have (the loss to Lee was nearly derailing) and IMO stealing two from Sterling.  In the end, GCM did what was needed to advance and Sterling did not.

District Standings as of 11/11

1. Friendswood- 14-1

2. Manvel- 14-2

3. Texas City- 9-6

3. GCM- 9-6

5. Santa Fe- 7-7

6. Sterling- 6-9

7. La Porte- 5-9

8. Lee- 2-13

9. Galveston Ball- 1-14

Playoff teams are set:

1. FW will play PNG 

2. Manvel will play Crosby 

3. GCM - Either BH or Nederland 

4. TC - Either BH or Nederland 

This has been a fun district to keep up with. A lot of good volleyball.