DCTF Week 4 State Rankings

AggiesAreWe

5 minutes ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

So when WOS beats them by 50 are they still in the top 5? Next week vs Gilmer who will beat them by 40+ are they still top 5?

I don't make the rankings, but apparently you are a fortune teller. No, if they get beat like that 3 weeks in a row they will probably not be in the top 5 any longer. However, none of those games have any bearing on how Newton would fare against the other teams ranked in the top 5 in Newton's classification. I'd say no 3A D2 team in the top 10 would do well against any of the teams Newton will play during this 3 week stretch. 

1 hour ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

So when WOS beats them by 50 are they still in the top 5? Next week vs Gilmer who will beat them by 40+ are they still top 5?

To answer your question, a loss of any margin this week will probably knock Newton out of the Top 10.  Two loss teams, even when that team is Newton, is very rare in the rankings.

1 hour ago, gogo1734 said:

I don't make the rankings, but apparently you are a fortune teller. No, if they get beat like that 3 weeks in a row they will probably not be in the top 5 any longer. However, none of those games have any bearing on how Newton would fare against the other teams ranked in the top 5 in Newton's classification. I'd say no 3A D2 team in the top 10 would do well against any of the teams Newton will play during this 3 week stretch. 

I’m not disagreeing with your logic, but what is their top 5 ranking based on if not the current game(s) played?

30 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

To answer your question, a loss of any margin this week will probably knock Newton out of the Top 10.  Two loss teams, even when that team is Newton, is very rare in the rankings.

This is the hidden content, please

Setxsports top 10
10. Lovelady (1-2), 10, 10, 9/18 at Normangee
Edited by WOSdrummer99

Just now, WOSdrummer99 said:

Newton does not belong on this list.  You can't have 2 losses having played just 1 game.

25 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I’m not disagreeing with your logic, but what is their top 5 ranking based on if not the current game(s) played?

The only thing a ranking can be based on in HS football this early in a season, which is performance from the previous season. I do not disagree that any loss should move any team down some, but the competition a team plays matters when considering the rankings as well. A ranked 3A D2 team getting beaten up on by a ranked 4A D2 team shouldn't bear as much weight as playing a weaker team. If that makes sense? That's just my opinion on the subject. I also felt like the original question was taking a shot at Newton as well, which I thought was kind of silly considering, well, they're Newton. 

18 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

The only thing a ranking can be based on in HS football this early in a season, which is performance from the previous season. I do not disagree that any loss should move any team down some, but the competition a team plays matters when considering the rankings as well. A ranked 3A D2 team getting beaten up on by a ranked 4A D2 team shouldn't bear as much weight as playing a weaker team. If that makes sense? That's just my opinion on the subject. I also felt like the original question was taking a shot at Newton as well, which I thought was kind of silly considering, well, they're Newton. 

Understood. 

Like I said, DCTF has several teams with wrong records.

Jasper has played 1 game yet is 3-0 somehow.

Newton has played 1 game but is 0-2 somehow.

Silsbee has played 1 game but is 1-1 according to those rankings.

Matt Stepp has corrected his records reflecting the "no contest" between Jasper and Silsbee. He said getting the tech guys posting the rankings to change sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

Again, I think the current rankings for this week are pretty spot on (except the inaccurate records)

3 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

Why so butt hurt about where Newton is ranked? It really doesn't matter. Rankings don't do anything for you. Not that I am disagreeing with what you are saying.