SETX Player Rankings

Cardinal 1

44 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Hamshire Fannett also lost to a Houston Washington team in the playoffs that, frankly, wasn't very good.

Yes I realize Silsbee just barely squeaked by that same team, but that was the absolute worse game the Tigers played the entire year by a long shot.

Quote:  “Game changer?  Get back with me when they beat Silsbee.”

HF:  “Hold my beer.”

Man I must be the most ignorant basketball fan around!  I asked my pal who used to be a basketball coach and he said Hampshire whole starting team came from Beaumont with Coach Rideaux.  He said they all play select ball together.  I had no idea.  Mr. Hoops, that seems fair to you?  

He also agreed with ole Cardinal and said those kids are real good players!!

12 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Hamshire Fannett also lost to a Houston Washington team in the playoffs that, frankly, wasn't very good.

Yes I realize Silsbee just barely squeaked by that same team, but that was the absolute worse game the Tigers played the entire year by a long shot.

This^

It was the worst game I saw the Tigers play last year as well. 

2 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

Man I must be the most ignorant basketball fan around!  I asked my pal who used to be a basketball coach and[b] he said Hampshire whole starting team came from Beaumont with Coach Rideaux.  He said they all play select ball together.  [/b]I had no idea.  Mr. Hoops, that seems fair to you?  

He also agreed with ole Cardinal and said those kids are real good players!!

Your friend that used to coach is not even close on that first sentence.  I have no idea on the second sentence. I don’t know what summer team any of their kids play for.  But it’s not unusual for HS teams to play some together in the summer anymore.  

Well we’ve heard the excuses from HJ and the excuses from Silsbee.  Anyone from Huffman on this board to offer the excuse for their loss?   One thing I’ve noticed over a lot of years in this game.  Rarely do you hear how great a team played when they get beat.  Funny how that works. 

2 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Well we’ve heard the excuses from HJ and the excuses from Silsbee.  Anyone from Huffman on this board to offer the excuse for their loss?   One thing I’ve noticed over a lot of years in this game.  Rarely do you hear how great a team played when they get beat.  Funny how that works. 

Are you suggesting that a single poster from each of these schools is representative of the overall thought process of these two fan bases?

I have been watching this subject since last year....and i in no way am belittling or knocking what type of coach he is however i do have issues with saying that the coaching “ turned the program around.”  Maybe it will but although they had a great year and should have this year as well, But having a good number of skilled players move in has had as much if not more to do with their success.  

11 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I have been watching this subject since last year....and i in no way am belittling or knocking what type of coach he is however i do have issues with saying that the coaching “ turned the program around.”  Maybe it will but although they had a great year and should have this year as well, But having a good number of skilled players move in has had as much if not more to do with their success.  

They beat Silsbee and HJ.  The talent level between HF and those two wasn’t close last year.  HF MAY have had one player that could have started for either of those two schools.  Rideaux isn’t a popular guy with his opponents but he can flat out coach.  Period. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

So playing on the road without your best player is an excuse? Come on man . If we just want to state facts the Horns split with the Hawks and Tigers last year. That feat , while admirable, garnered them a 4th place finish. I hope the Horns are good because it makes the games so much more fun to watch. Just for the record I think Coach Rideaux is a great coach. I just think the district champion predictions are a little premature. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

They beat Silsbee and HJ.  The talent level between HF and those two wasn’t close last year.  HF MAY have had one player that could have started for either of those two schools.  Rideaux isn’t a popular guy with his opponents but he can flat out coach.  Period. 

Not doubting the fact he can coach at all.  I like him just don’t quite like the “rebuilding the program” statement based on what I said.

21 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

A good coach is like a good general.  His job is to get things done!!  If you need to upgrade takent to get the job done then so be it.  I still got him at the top of my list!!!

That’s misleading in the high school game. You don’t upgrade talent if you play by the rules, you play with the kids from the community. I don’t claim to know where any of the players in this district live but there were a lot of new faces on the floor. On the bright side almost all are coming back and the Horns will have a couple of more new ones. Should be fun. I hope the virus has subsided where all us fans can watch.

22 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

A good coach is like a good general.  His job is to get things done!!  If you need to upgrade takent to get the job done then so be it.  I still got him at the top of my list!!!

Are you suggesting that a high school coach should also be recruiting players from outside his school's district?

Is that the case at Hamshire-Fannett?

I think most would agree it is mainly about the "Johnny's and Joe's" a little more than the X's and O's. Recruiting is essential at the next level. With all of these rumors of high school coaches recruiting, who are some area coaches that could make it at the next level, as far as being a strong recruiter? 

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Are you suggesting that a high school coach should also be recruiting players from outside his school's district?

Is that the case at Hamshire-Fannett?

Heck no I was kidding!  I dunno what Mr. Hoops knows but my buddy said there gonna have four starters from Beaumont.  I dont know if they recruit or not.  It does smell a little fishy.

I'll say it again.  Rideaux is a real good coach.  Just can't beat my raiders!!

Recruiting is being done all over the U.S....its the new norm...every kids dream is to win a State Championship and it's hard to do without bringing in a new face or 2. I see nothing wrong with it like it's nothing wrong with a school district getting rid of a Coach for loosing consistently. If a kid is allowed to transfer everytime they get a new coach you would see more of it. You dont see Coaches have to sit out a year when they transfer for a better job so why should a kid if they think it's a better opportunity to be coached by better and play with better players.

25 minutes ago, Hooohead.com said:

Recruiting is being done all over the U.S....its the new norm...every kids dream is to win a State Championship and it's hard to do without bringing in a new face or 2. I see nothing wrong with it like it's nothing wrong with a school district getting rid of a Coach for loosing consistently. If a kid is allowed to transfer everytime they get a new coach you would see more of it. You dont see Coaches have to sit out a year when they transfer for a better job so why should a kid if they think it's a better opportunity to be coached by better and play with better players.

So, it's about athletics when these kids transfer.

Thank you for that information.