Coldspring-Oakhurst 27 Lumberton 25 FINAL

WOSgrad

Just now, LC-M said:

Sorry to see score. I feel for you buddy. 

Ah Hell, can’t change it. LUCKILY, we have Silsbee next week (tongue in cheek). Just gotta keep getting better each week before district play. Adapting to this new offense has been a real adjustment to the O Line from the looks of the game. Gotta fix that. 

42 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Ah Hell, can’t change it. LUCKILY, we have Silsbee next week (tongue in cheek). Just gotta keep getting better each week before district play. Adapting to this new offense has been a real adjustment to the O Line from the looks of the game. Gotta fix that. 

Isn't Coldsprings 3A.. 🤔

I got to Lumberton at the end of the 3rd quarter with Coldspring up 20-17. Trojans scored early in 4th to go up 27-17 but Lumberton answered right back with a score and two point conversion to make it 27-25. Was about 7 minutes left in game at this time. CS drove down to Lumberton 3 yard line but was stopped on downs with around 2;30 left in game. (not sure why CS decided to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking FG to force Lumberton to score TD). Raiders had only 1 timeout left and needed to get to at least the Trojan 25 yard line for a game winning FG attempt. Lumberton picked up a first down but then took a terrible sack which forced them to use their final timeout. 3 incompletions later the Trojans took over on downs and kneeled the clock out.

From the one quarter I watched, I was surprised a bit with Coldspring. They are better than I thought they would be. But, I also thought Lumberton wasn't defending the double wing offense like they should. To be successful the defensive line really have to sacrifice themselves and take out the oline by diving thru the gaps and allowing the linebackers to make the plays, disrupting the blocking schemes. Also you have to take some gambles with run blitzes at times to get penetration in the backfield to disrupt the timing of the play. I really didn't see any of that from the Raider defense in the 4th.

Coldspring did a very good job carrying out their fakes and staying with their blocks and the backs showed good discipline in waiting on the blocks. #20 for CS is a hoss!! Going to keep my eye on this young man.

Lumberton's offense does look potent. Boykin is definitely a dual threat QB. Be interesting to see how they do against a team that has more pass pressure. Coldspring played more coverage than putting pressure on QB.

Glad I got to watch 1 quarter of football last night.