Signature Dish

SmashMouth

The only time I have had the same tasting steak two times in a row was at a Hilton in Washington DC.... strangely enough. I usually have a good experience at Schooner but only get steak there once or twice a year.

I hate when people say, I can make better at home. In most cases.... duhhhh!! No kidding. But you have to go buy whatever, prep it, cook it, cook sides, clean up after, etc.

However.....

When it comes to steak, I have gotten good enough with sous vide that I go ahead and usually opt for home cooked. 

36 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The only time I have had the same tasting steak two times in a row was at a Hilton in Washington DC.... strangely enough. I usually have a good experience at Schooner but only get steak there once or twice a year.

I hate when people say, I can make better at home. In most cases.... duhhhh!! No kidding. But you have to go buy whatever, prep it, cook it, cook sides, clean up after, etc.

However.....

When it comes to steak, I have gotten good enough with sous vide that I go ahead and usually opt for home cooked. 

I like to cook my ribeye in the old blazing hot iron skillet and basting frothy brown butter all over it after it’s gotten a good crust on both sides. Delicious. 

9 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I like to cook my ribeye in the old blazing hot iron skillet and basting frothy brown butter all over it after it’s gotten a good crust on both sides. Delicious. 

Long as the inside is red 😂🤣😂

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Oh yeah.... with about three cloves of sliced fresh garlic in that butter. On occasion with time or Rosemary if I have any.On occasion with thyme or Rosemary if I have any.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Hagar said:

My all time favorite was Al T’s Thibodeaux Special.   It was a fantastic ribeye with crawfish etouffee on top of it.  
Heaven, pure heaven.   

Dang, I do miss it so. 

I miss that restaurant.  Was only about a 10 min drive from my house.  I liked their EJ special (or something like that) with two cheese stuffed boudain balls covered in chicken and sausage gumbo.  Their boudain was the best that I've had around here.  

47 minutes ago, Hagar said:

At home, super hot grill and a little Tx Joy steak seasoning.   Just a couple of minutes on both sides.  Good grill marks, put a little butter on, dark brown with a red center.  Heaven.  Pure heaven.

Sounds good! Add some Shrimp Brochette on the side with that Grilled Ribeye an it’s on! 

28 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

We've been barbecuing blue crabs a lot lately.  I wish you could post pics on here like back in the old days.  You only have to see a pic to understand how good they are.  I've been blackening speckled trout a lot as well.  

Don’t know what seasoning you use on your crabs but many years ago I was at Sartins eating BBQ Crabs an before I left I ask the cook if they made their own seasoning. He said no. He said they use a BBQ Crab seasoning made by Bolnar Fiesta Seasonings out of San Antonio. I ordered some an sure enough it taste just like Sartins . That’s the only seasoning I’ve used since then on barbecuing crabs an it is delicious. You usually can find it at Market Basket or order it straight from Fiesta. I haven’t tried this yet but a buddy of mine told me instead of frying the crabs try spraying the crabs down with butter then season them then broil them in the oven for about 15 minutes. He’s said it taste better than frying them. Next batch of crabs I catch I am going to try it. 

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Long as the inside is red 😂🤣😂

Ok, start throwing the bricks at me. I can eat my steak PINK, but not red. I have at least advanced from well, to medium plus. Ok, got that out of the way. My son orders his.....cut its horns off and wipe its arse. I think he could walk up to a live cow, peel back some hide, and bite it with his teeth.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I miss that restaurant.  Was only about a 10 min drive from my house.  I liked their EJ special (or something like that) with two cheese stuffed boudain balls covered in chicken and sausage gumbo.  Their boudain was the best that I've had around here.  

Their boudin was good, but Nick’s in Port Arthur was the best in Texas, I think. 

2 hours ago, Realville said:

Don’t know what seasoning you use on your crabs but many years ago I was at Sartins eating BBQ Crabs an before I left I ask the cook if they made their own seasoning. He said no. He said they use a BBQ Crab seasoning made by Bolnar Fiesta Seasonings out of San Antonio. I ordered some an sure enough it taste just like Sartins . That’s the only seasoning I’ve used since then on barbecuing crabs an it is delicious. You usually can find it at Market Basket or order it straight from Fiesta. I haven’t tried this yet but a buddy of mine told me instead of frying the crabs try spraying the crabs down with butter then season them then broil them in the oven for about 15 minutes. He’s said it taste better than frying them. Next batch of crabs I catch I am going to try it. 

We use Texjoy BBQ seasoning.  Clean the crabs well, coat them with texjoy, fill the cavity with garlic butter. Put on the grill cavity side up and cook for about 8 min, then once the butter has cooked in flip and let them go 2-3 more minutes.  Absolutely delicious, and simple to do.  Kinda reminds me of Sartin’s as well 

21 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

You missed out on a local gem. I like djs. It’s what I use if I haven’t gone to Louisiana for a bit. 

Homsi’s off Hwy 62 & i10 has some great Boudain. They have 2 locations in Lake Charles. Their plate lunches are good also. They serve a delicious fried pork chop. 

41 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

You missed out on a local gem. I like djs. It’s what I use if I haven’t gone to Louisiana for a bit. 

DJ’s is the best Texas factory made boudin.

I thought Nick’s was great but I know that some people were put off by the texture because it tends to be way more moist and last sausage like.

I know that Louisiana has a plethora of good local made but I like Billy‘s when I get over that way.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

DJ’s is the best Texas factory made boudin.

I thought Nick’s was great but I know that some people were put off by the texture because it tends to be way more moist and last sausage like.

I know that Louisiana has a plethora of good local made but I like Billy‘s when I get over that way.

Yes and yes

DJs around here

Billy’s is where I get my boudin and cracklins on Louisiana. 

• 1 year later...

I do a lot of cooking. Sometimes it is just to cook. I have cooked dinner many times for my shift at work including dispatchers, usually completely at my expense.

Gumbo, chili,  beans (usually Anasazi) and rice,  Budae Jjigae (Korean Army Stew), Butter Chicken (Indian dish almost like Tikka Masala), Chinese BBQ (Char Siu), Pozole (rojo), shredded BBQ pork (pulled pork but not several hours of smoking) for sandwiches, Spaghetti, Zuppa Tuscana, Hot and Sour Soup, Thai green (or red, yellow, etc.) curry, Mongolian Beef (one of my wife’s favorites), Chicken and Dumplings, Mapo Tofu, Apple Dumplings (perhaps the greatest dessert ever) and so one.

But……

The reason that I thought about this thread however, was that with all the different cultures and foods that I cook, I have never made Carne Guisada which is my favorite Mexican food. There was a thread on here quite a while back where a couple of us discussed Carne Guisada and which restaurants had a good version of it.

Today I broke down and made it for the first time. There are mixes/seasoning you can buy such as Fiesta brand where you can just toss in some meat and water or broth and a certain amount of the seasoning. I think HEB has a version of it. I have heard that it is very good. 

I got adventurous and made it mostly from scratch. I say mostly because I didn’t make my own chili powder just like when I am making Butter Chicken I don’t make my own Garam Masala although I have seen recipes for it.

The dênouement is, it turned out great. It is so stupidly easy that it makes me mad that I have not made it before. It is a lot easier than Pozole.

That’s it :)

I made Carne Guisada for the first time and I remembered the prior thread but couldn’t find it. 🤪

6 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

@tvc184 here it is. There's a way to merge the 2 topics. But everything I try it goes backwards.

I looked last week when I thought about @SmashMouth's fried tenderloin.

It’s funny you mentioned (remembered) the fried tenderloin. I made it 3 times over the Thanksgiving break. Always a fan favorite. Always delicious. Probably the easiest thing I’ve ever cooked. Lol.